AR180015 - new owner - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 406 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

AR180015 - new owner

May 2008
After many years of anticipation, I've finally acquired a Junior Zagato. I was actually on the search for a while starting about seven years ago, but my progress was interrupted by a Giulietta Spider.

The Spider has since been restored, driven enthusiastically and sold, so when the opportunity arose to purchase a Jr. Z I stretched a bit and made it happen.

I just drove the car back from SoCal after spending a couple of hours with the previous owner, Pat Garret. He took good car of the car - it has an excellent 1750 and is mechanically in great shape. I think the ignition switch may need to be swapped out, but other than that it would probably get me just about anywhere.

I'm looking forward to connecting with other Jr. Z owners. I know a few who live in the Bay Area (my own provenance) but would like to hear from other folks about their experiences with these great cars. I'm curious to find out what sources for parts there are (none, from what I have gleened thus far).

I'm hoping to repaint the car within the next year, but in the meantime I'm going to try and drive it as much as possible.

My first question is - did these cars originally have a piece of trim along each of the side windows? My doors have what appears to be after-market window wipes. Should there be a metal piece of trim on either door?

I'll try and find photos while waiting for an answer...

cheers,
Brian
Attached Images

scootergeek and Dave Brink like this.

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
'67 Giulia '1750' Super - rally car
'87 Milano Gold - troop carrier
----------
'71 145 Volvo Wagon - Alfa engine transport

Last edited by braino; 09-03-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 406 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 10:17 PM

Welcome to the club, Brian...

This bb is a great resource for the questions you've asked, and for the ones that are still to come. "Zagato Olaf" has a great amount of knowledge about the history of these cars, and he, no doubt will be chiming in soon with some responses about your window trim. All my window trim is black, but may have been coated by the previous owner during restoration or repaint, so I'm not able to help.
(You're gonna LOVE driving this car!)

[I]"It's the best in class by default, because it's the only thing in its class." [/I]
~Richard Hammond on the Alfa 4C

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[I][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Gordy Hyde[/FONT][/B][/I]
AROC-USA Secretary
Home chapter - NWARC
1971 Junior Zagato 1750 (1800605)
1974 Spider 2000 Iniezione (no carbs)
post #3 of 406 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 02:48 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Zagato_Olaf
Welcome Brian!/Window trim

Hello Brian and Gordy,

Brian; congratulations once more! Did you take pictures while driving the car back home? I would be very interested to see them. Don't these cars have a great roadholding like Gordy mentioned!

Gordy is correct, all the window trim on the doors of the JZ is black. Rumours on cars with more luxurious trim and some chrome on the door trim are heard, but I can't confirm them. I have seen some chrome trim on the doors, but all those examples looked like nice homemade solutions.

I have included 2 Word-files with some drawings of and information on the door trim and the window wipes. Frank Hanel in Germany might be able to help you, we obtained a set from him two years ago.

Enjoy your new car, let us know how you are getting on with it and I hope to see some pictures!

Ciao, Olaf
Attached Files
File Type: doc Metal door strip.doc (86.0 KB, 356 views)
File Type: doc Metal door strip 2.doc (61.5 KB, 438 views)

Olaf Roeten a.k.a. Zagato_Olaf, Bussum, The Netherlands
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 406 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 09:13 AM

Window Trim

Hi Brian,

I hope these pictures will help.

Best regards,
Jochen
Attached Images

post #5 of 406 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:14 PM

Garage
Thanks Jochen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virus Alfa View Post
Hi Brian,

I hope these pictures will help.

Best regards,
Jochen
Hello Jochen,

Thanks for the picture. Yep, this is the cloth we were talking about! But I was under the impression that we were talking about the outside trimpieces that are situated along the windowframe. It could well be that Brian was talking about the inside trim pieces. Let's see what he has to say.

Ciao, Olaf

Last edited by Zagato_Olaf; 04-28-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: spelling
post #6 of 406 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

trim

Indeed - I was asking about the pieces on the outside of the door. I have the inside ones.

Thanks for posting the photos - I don't suppose you have some of the outside of your door?

I am also missing door panels. I expect that I'll have to have these fabricated at some point (or make them myself). I can't imagine that anyone is producing repros.

Olaf - unfortunately, I didn't think to bring my camera for the trip back, but I'll take some photos when I get the car back to Berkeley.

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #7 of 406 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 02:38 AM

Garage
Doorpanels

Quote:
Originally Posted by braino View Post
Indeed - I was asking about the pieces on the outside of the door. I have the inside ones.

Thanks for posting the photos - I don't suppose you have some of the outside of your door?

I am also missing door panels. I expect that I'll have to have these fabricated at some point (or make them myself). I can't imagine that anyone is producing repros.

Olaf - unfortunately, I didn't think to bring my camera for the trip back, but I'll take some photos when I get the car back to Berkeley.

cheers,
Brian

Hello Brain,

That's a pity, I was looking forward to the pictures with a big smile on your face standing beside the car on a bright Californian day! Better luck next time.

About the door panels (doorcards), they are still available if I am not mistaken. Check the list with suppliers and have a look at their website. You should have a chance at some of the European suppliers on the list and drop them a line if the parts are not on the website.

I will check once more for photographs of the outside trimpieces on top of the door or make some the next time 'little yellow' comes out of the garage.

The photographs of the red JZ below are from the internet. I do not know the source but would like to thank the owner for sharing them with us! This might help you a bit in trying to find out what these trim pieces look like.

Cheers and Ciao! Olaf
Attached Images

Dave Brink likes this.

post #8 of 406 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 03:00 AM

Garage
Picture of the doorcard/door panel

Hi Brian,

And here are some pictures of the doorcard/doorpanel. The black one on the right is an early original example with the armrest of the reardoor of an early Giulia Sedan. The black one on the left is a late style model with the armrest of the 1750 Berlina.
The beige one is a reskinned version without the 'ribs' that should be seen between the silvercoloured trimpiece. The bottom black one is an original doorcard that has additional 'kickplates' to prevent damaged to the doorcard itself.

Ciao! Olaf
Attached Images

scootergeek and Dave Brink like this.

Last edited by Zagato_Olaf; 04-29-2008 at 04:10 AM. Reason: correction
post #9 of 406 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 03:23 AM

Outside trimpieces

...and the outside trimpieces

Regards, Jochen
Attached Images

post #10 of 406 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

parts suppliers

Hey Folks,

Thanks for all the photos. I'll try and find those pieces when I get back home.

So - someone is still making door panels? That's good to hear.

Olaf - you mention a list of parts suppliers - where can I find this?

Interesting - that last photo has chrome trim around the drip lip - aftermarket?

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #11 of 406 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 07:37 AM

Hi Brian,

Congrats on the Junior Z. These are absolutely wonderful cars that have it all: Outstanding desing and lots of fun to drive.

The "drip lip" was introduced for the 1600 models, the 1300 do not have the big chrome lip all around the windows on the outside.

I am not aware that anybody makes door panels and think you have to remanufacture but please correct me if I am wrong.

Mike

60 Citroen ID - 62 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile - 64 Giulia TI - 69 Porsche 911S Targa (Soft Window) - 72 Junior Z 1600
post #12 of 406 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:36 PM

Garage
Drip lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaum View Post
Hi Brian,

Congrats on the Junior Z. These are absolutely wonderful cars that have it all: Outstanding desing and lots of fun to drive.

The "drip lip" was introduced for the 1600 models, the 1300 do not have the big chrome lip all around the windows on the outside.

I am not aware that anybody makes door panels and think you have to remanufacture but please correct me if I am wrong.

Mike
Hello Mike,

By the 'drip lip', do you mean the chrome trimpiece that runs from the bottom of the C-pillar along the roof of the car above the side windows and the door to the bottom of the A-pillar?
If so; yes the 1600 JZ was equipped standard with a wide chrome 'drip lip'. Sorry to correct you, but the 1300 JZ also came standard with a chrome 'drip lip', although this one was considerable smaller.
Some people removed the drip lips or they fell of by themselves (as mine did), others painted them black. But it was an original part that came with the car. The 'drip lip' was attached to the roof with two chrome 'end pieces' with small screws at both ends.
Have a look at the bottom left picture from the 'Style Auto' magazine nr 21 of the 4th quarter of 1969. It shows one of the first 208 cars produced in the autumn of 1969 that became available to the public from February 1970.
And the original brochure I have in my possession also shows the 1300 JZ with the small chrome 'drip lip'.

Ciao! Olaf
Attached Images

post #13 of 406 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:47 PM

Garage
Scan of the 1300 JZ brochure

Here is a scan of the 1300 JZ brochure. You can see the drip lip on the far left in the dooropening.

Ciao! Olaf
Attached Images

post #14 of 406 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 09:31 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
Quote:
Originally Posted by braino View Post
Hey Folks,

After many years of anticipation, I've finally acquired a Junior Zagato. I was actually on the search for a while starting about seven years ago, but my progress was interrupted by a Giulietta Spider.

The Spider has since been restored, driven enthusiastically and sold, so when the opportunity arose to purchase a Jr. Z I stretched a bit and made it happen.

I just drove the car back from SoCal after spending a couple of hours with the previous owner, Pat Garret. He took good car of the car - it has an excellent 1750 and is mechanically in great shape. I think the ignition switch may need to be swapped out, but other than that it would probably get me just about anywhere.

I'm looking forward to connecting with other Jr. Z owners. I know a few who live in the Bay Area (my own provenance) but would like to hear from other folks about their experiences with these great cars. I'm curious to find out what sources for parts there are (none, from what I have gleened thus far).

I'm hoping to repaint the car within the next year, but in the meantime I'm going to try and drive it as much as possible.

My first question is - did these cars originally have a piece of trim along each of the side windows? My doors have what appears to be after-market window wipes. Should there be a metal piece of trim on either door?

I'll try and find photos while waiting for an answer...

cheers,
Brian
where are the photos?!

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
post #15 of 406 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

suspension sorting

Here are a few photos of the suspension and wheels of my Junior Z.

I'm wondering if the castor rods on these cars originally had heim joints - my car has them. From what Olaf mentioned to me in an email the other day that original set up was just the two pancake rubber bushings with the rod passing through the inner fender well.

I'm also very curious about how my tires would be fitting without rubbing the wheel wells. I hadn't even looked at them before but just noticed that they are 195's!! I'm wondering if a previous owner changed the camber? Maybe there are wheel spacers? Not sure yet. I'm going to take a wheel off today and look.

Will it even be possible to install 165 55 R14s on five star mags? I'm wondering if they won't be too wide. My intention was to get stock sized tires, but now I'm not sure...

Any input would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in