AR180015 - new owner - Page 25 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #361 of 406 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 06:01 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Sometimes the original stock stuff just works well enough.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 406 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Well, to be real, the pertronix is just as aftermarket - just older, analog tech. It's definitely a lot simpler to deal with. I still want to try and get this programmable unit working. I've got to have something to tinker with!

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
'67 Giulia '1750' Super - rally car
'87 Milano Gold - troop carrier
----------
'71 145 Volvo Wagon - Alfa engine transport
post #363 of 406 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

danville concorso

Just for the heck of it, Ruth Anne and I drove our Z's over to the Danville Concorso and spent the day chatting with other car-nerds and trying to stay cool. I think I had five massive ice teas from the Starbucks across the street from us (did you know they give you free refills?).

Parked between a 4C and another Z, it's actually surprising how much bigger a 4C is than a Junior Z.

The ride back was seriously HOT. It felt like an oven. The car stayed reasonably cool, which was good. I'm wondering if the 123 was too advanced. I'll keep testing it out.

cheers,
Brian
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 406 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Skaggs Spring Road run

Took the car on an Oyster run up to Tomales Bay last Sunday. It was incredibly hot and lots of traffic. The temp gauge is still indicating some pretty high temps but I feel fairly certain it's a gauge issue.

We finally got past the traffic and had a chance to really open the car up on Skaggs Spring Road. For those of you not familiar, it's a well known rally road that connects CA Rt.1 with CA 101. Something like 30 miles of winding hills and canyons between the inner and outer coastal ranges. The eastern half of the road is very well maintained and banked - feels like a racetrack. There's very little traffic, too.

The views are stunning but as is usually the case, there was little time to enjoy them - I was focused on up/down shifting and anticipating the road ahead. I wasn't driving flat out as I'm still breaking in the tires and brakes. Got past both of those break-in periods on this drive - I could feel the brakes start to really bit towards the end.

For any of you who have not driven a Junior Z - especially one that's been upgraded to a 1750 or 2ltr, I highly recommend that you add this to your bucket list. It's some serious adrenaline. I've had a number of hot alfas, including an extensively upgraded '60 Spider and a track modified '69 GTV. You really can't compare either to a Z when it comes to road handling and adhesion. The rear tires never break free - it's incredibly how stable these cars are...

Anyone been out driving their car at all? It would be great to hear about ppl's recent driving experiences.

cheers,
Brian
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #365 of 406 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 10:24 AM

Looks great

Just catching up with this thread. I dissent, I can fully support leaving the badges off--then absolutely no one will ever be able to identify the make of your car!

Still hot and rainy here, for about one more month. I did drive the car about 80 miles a few weeks ago. It's a 1300, and the gearing is really short. Spinning 4300 rpm at 74 mph. But very happy at those revs.
Car in the shop now, aftermarket period magnesium wheels getting refinished and putting fresh repro Pirelli CN36 rubber on. The wheel painter is taking his time! Car has to run tubes--wheels very porous.
After that to the headliner shop to fix the sag.
Got a new momo prototipo wheel and also a new Vitaloni Sebring side mirror. Fixing the wonky driver's seatback that likes to fall down. Then shje will be good to go.

So, hopefully I can get her on the road for good in about 2-3 weeks.

I envy you for those California roads, but my work is tied to this area, so I will have to be content.

Scott
Sanibel FL
post #366 of 406 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the update!

Yeah - the hot humid can take some of the joy out of driving a Z. Personally, I don't mind the heat - I've taken some longer drives in 100-105deg (but dry heat).

My car has a limited slip from a seventies spider. Nice improvement - the 1750/longer diff combo makes the short transmission feel really sensible.

Love the wheels on your car. I was looking for a set for a while but finally gave up. The variety has gone from the vintage wheel market I'm afraid. Still, the 15" GTa wheels have proven to be a good choice so far. I've really been liking the Dunlops I'm running. A lot more rubber than I've ever had on a car (other than my old Verde).

The seatback fix is something I need to get to as well. I'll probably have my seats re-done (again) next year and take care of it then...

My folks are in town and I'm driving my Mom down to Monterrey this weekend. She used to have a TR-3 back in high-school (her Dad bought it for her!) but I don't think she's been in a vintage coupe since - we took a drive in my Giulia Super once a while back.

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #367 of 406 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 07:39 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I love your car.... Having been in the situation of questioning my temp gauge myself, here's what I did for peace of mind

Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer With Laser Targeting

For $30, it's well worthwhile.

71 Spider
post #368 of 406 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Yeah. I always carry one of those. Extremely useful! Amazing how inexpensive they are these days.

Sadly, I didn't get very far on my way down to Monterrey. About ten minutes from my house, the temp gauge spiked. I pulled over to see if it was a sender issue. Using my trusty laser thermometer, I noted that the radiator was about 50deg (Celsius) on one side and 90deg on the other. The top hose was pretty hot - 110 or so, and the intake manifold was closer to 130deg.

The car was running fine and I didn't see any coolant anywhere. Figured I'd give it a shot getting it back downhill to my shop. No dice. Got about 20 feet before the radiator boiled over, emptying its contents onto the street and the bottom half of the engine compartment.

I'm going to pull the radiator and check the thermostat, to start. I didn't see any foam in the oil nor have I noticed any oil in the coolant. Figure I'll start with taking the radiator to the shop and go from there.

Here's the good spin - "nice to have another project, I was getting a little bored"

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #369 of 406 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

maintenance update

Hey folks - took everything apart and lo-and-behold it turned out to be the thermostat. I'm pretty sure it was bad out of the box. The engine in this car (a 1750) always ran cool so it was a bit of a surprise that temp has always been an issue. Just replaced the coolant and started it up for about 20 minutes. It barely crept past the middle of the gauge. Hopefully that'll be that.

If everything goes well I'll be driving down to Santa Cruz tomorrow to pick up my friend's Sunbeam Alpine that's just being finished up at a shop down there.

I'll post some pics from the trip when I can (assuming everything goes well).

cheers,
Brian
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #370 of 406 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Back on the road.

Replaced the thermostat, refilled, bled and test-drove. My friend Dave was nice enough to take a few snaps during a Berkeley Hills-top bio break (my favorite pic thus far).

Heading up the coast this weekend for another more aggressive drive. Hopefully everything will continue to be operational!

cheers,
Brian
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #371 of 406 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

We've had a very wet winter here in the Bay - very much needed. Still, it's kept the Zagato off the streets for the last eight weeks.

Meanwhile, I've decided that I'm going to start driving in track day events. There is a group up at Thunder Hill that hosts one about once every two months.

Starting this week I'm going to begin some minor prep to fulfill the various requirements for the event. Nothing too complicated - front/rear tow hooks, etc. Not installing a fuel cell or anything.

I'm going to start looking for a spare 1750 in the next few months. My 2017-18 project will be to build a second motor. Maybe something with a bit more umpf.

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #372 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 10:09 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Let me tell you, with the original anemic 1300, you really had to row the transmission to get any speed out of it, esp in the hills of Scotland and the Alps. Definitely slower than my 1600 Sprint GT I was driving back home.

It is such a pretty car now.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #373 of 406 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Getting the car ready for a vintage rally this weekend. The temperatures are expected to be in the high nineties all weekend. It's going to be a sweaty one.

I'm considering getting a new exhaust installed before the run. I've been very dissatisfied with the sound of the stock unit and the NOS rear section is already completely covered in surface rust.

As soon as my Giulia is back on the road, the Z is going to go back into the shop for some general improvements. I'm going to pull the manifold and send it to Jet Hot - something I should have done when I was putting the car back together. It's also going to be time to pull the dash and get all the gauges working correctly. I've been without a functioning oil pressure and fuel gauge since putting the car back on the road. I may pull the forward section of the dash and have a metal version made - the plastic repro piece I have in there warps and creases when it gets hot (probably the same as the original).

It'll be fun to do some work on the Z again. I've done nothing but drive it for a year now!

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #374 of 406 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:15 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Alfiat
Hey Brian,

I've done a few of the things you plan:
Exhaust - I installed the AlfaHolics stainless steel system (from headers to tailpipe) and it looks and sound fantastic. Recommended!

Also had problems with my front section of the dash. 1600s are plastic from new so cracks and waves are inherent. I covered it (along with the rest of the dash) with a good quality vinyl.

Enjoy you Z - I just drove mine for the first time in a long time - fully working now. New driveshaft, carbs tuned, 123 Ignition set properly - Wow - 3k rpm up is amazing.

Fred - Now: 1966 Giulia Super -1973 1600Z Zagato -1973 Giulia Super-1983 AlfaSud 1.5 - 1968 Fiat Dino Spider, 2012 Abarth. Then: 1971 Fiat 500L-1974 Fiat 500 Abarth replica-1972 GTV
post #375 of 406 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

That exhaust looks amazing. You have tubular headers, too? I'm looking at their site and I'm not seeing a system that bolts to the cast headers.

Ran out of time in regards to getting exhaust work completed. I figure I'll wait and take the time to order the exact right setup. I'd like it to be as awe inspiring as yours and the magnaflow system Morgan has in his 1600.

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode