AR180015 - new owner - Page 23 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #331 of 406 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:56 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Alfiat
I helped a buddy fit the nose trim on his Z. The trim came from AFRA and was a terrible fit. We had to make some cuts on the underside (with a wiz wheel) to enable it to curve around the nose.

Fred - Now: 1966 Giulia Super -1973 1600Z Zagato -1973 Giulia Super-1983 AlfaSud 1.5 - 1968 Fiat Dino Spider, 2012 Abarth. Then: 1971 Fiat 500L-1974 Fiat 500 Abarth replica-1972 GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 406 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

I'm finally making some progress with the trim stuff. I've found a couple of shops down in Hayward that are still in business. I'm going to be heading to one of them tomorrow to get some work done on the rear bumper.

Meanwhile, my generator died a couple of weekends ago. I fitted a "Dynator" this week. It was actually a bit more than just a straight bolt-in. The mounting brackets had to be drilled out to fit the 12mm bolt size that my front cover takes, and I had to steal the 3/8" spade off of the original generator to accommodate the starter wire. Once it was in, the car fired right up and there's no generator light anymore. The unit is a nice match for the old generator. It was a little bit on the pricey side but definitely comes with some serious peace-of-mind.

Also coming - after much deliberation, I've bought a set of five Alfaholics GTA wheels. I was looking for a set of Campy Americas or Chevoit's but it seems like it's a dry time to vintage wheels. The jump to 15" definitely opens up a few possibilities for tires - hopefully that will continue to be the case. It amazes me how there are literally zero options for 14" beyond Vredsteins (which I've been using for 14 years with great results). I'm excited to try out the new wheels with Dunlop rubber. I've never had Dunlops and I've heard great things from friends. I chose 195 55 R Direzza ZII Star Specs, which replaced the previous star specs that had a more traditional looking tread. There is a lot of rubber making contact with the road on these tires.

I'll post some photos when I get back from the shop tomorrow.

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
'67 Giulia '1750' Super - rally car
'87 Milano Gold - troop carrier
----------
'71 145 Volvo Wagon - Alfa engine transport
post #333 of 406 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

update

Apologies, but I neglected to take photos while I was at the shop. Got distracted by the hot rods and old-school machine tools at the shop. Met this great metal-worker named Mike who repairs liquid gas tanks by day and builds custom hot-rods in his spare time. He was able to shrink/stretch my nose trim to fit the car. Took him about 30 minutes back and fourth between machines and fitting to the car. He's also going to repair and fit the rear bumper.

I then dropped off the pieces at a chrome shop down the street. Everything should be ready by the middle of the week.

Nice to find people to do the work and have the time. As I've mentioned before, European car folks are all busy as hell working on Ferraris, F1 cars, etc. Great for them but bad for those of us who are on a budget and looking to get work done this year. Nothing against those guys, it's great to see serious shops getting serious work. It makes me wish I had the skill to do this stuff myself.

Still, it was great to work with someone who is as excited about my car as I am and can envision what it'll be when it's all back together.

For your entertainment, I'm posting a coupe of pics of Mike's completely original Hudson that he brought back from the dead (30 years of dry storage in a covered parking spot someplace in Hayward, CA). He rebuilt the carbs but other than that it's bone stock. He says it will cruise easily at 105mph, but that it takes a long time to get there

cheers,
Brian
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 406 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Nice to find people to do the work and have the time. As I've mentioned before, European car folks are all busy as hell working on Ferraris, F1 cars, etc. Great for them but bad for those of us who are on a budget and looking to get work done this year. Nothing against those guys, it's great to see serious shops getting serious work. It makes me wish I had the skill to do this stuff myself.

I've found that the hot-rod shops, of necessity, have people who can do fine metal fabricating. Also, they tend to be impressed with and like old Alfas. Especially with a Jr. Z like your's they can see the level of hand-craftsmanship that went into the car. I've found that most hot-rodders, guys that actually build their cars, see us as being part of the same family. I've had some great times with those guys where I'm about the only Italian car there.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #335 of 406 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 10:15 AM

Test
post #336 of 406 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

side view mirror installation

I'm putting the door panels back in after installing the exterior window trim.

I'm holding off on installing the driver's side door until I figure out what to do with the side view mirror. I have an NOS Vitaloni that is period correct for the car and it came with a backing place similar to the one I used when I installed mirrors in my old spider. The issue is that there is an inner reinforcement inside the door behind where the mirror would be installed. This means you can't directly access the inside of the door skin where the mirror is mounted - to put the backing plate in place to attach the mirror.

Has anyone installed a side view mirror in their car? Did you find some way to slip the backing plate into this seemingly inaccessible space or did you use sheet metal screws? My concern is that my aluminum door skins would not be strong enough to hold the mirror and that it would just rip out. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Meanwhile, I've got my new wheels installed. They really look great. Glad I went with them.

I've also attached a shot of the passenger side with the door panel installed. It's a really snug fit. Great to have it closed up, finally.

cheers,
Brian
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #337 of 406 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

here we go

Finally, I have fitted, polished trim back from the chrome shop (nose trim and bumper stainless). I was beginning to think it would never happen

Can't wait to bring it home and install it tonight.

I stopped by and checked out the rear bumper, as well. It'll be done in a day or two and will need some finish work before installation. Good progress, thought. Sheet metal was repaired and Mike was finishing the bumper rubber bracket sections that he's replacing. Then just a quick cut/tack for final fitting...

I'll post images as things come together.

cheers,
Brian
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #338 of 406 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

brightwork

After a lot of mucking about (and manufacturing a small bracket for the upper driver's side mounting hole) the front brightwork is all installed.

I'll have to admit - the driver's side is going to need some adjustment down the pike it's a good .75cm off center. It's one of those aftermarket pieces - too big for the nose of my non-standard car. It looks decent from 4-5' away and seems to be mounted fairly solidly. Might just have to stay where it is for a while...

Next up, just picked up the repaired / fitted rear bumper. Time to re-finish and install.

cheers,
Brian
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #339 of 406 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 04:09 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Looks like you have a rubber gasket or something similar between the body and the chrome piece. My car lacks that. Is it original? Any idea where to find it?
post #340 of 406 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

I don't think that was an original item but it certainly makes sense to install it.

It's pretty generic stuff as far as I know - you can get similar edging from McMaster Carr. The stuff I'm using came from OKP.

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #341 of 406 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 02:33 PM

Gaskets around the front trim is not stock. Given the potential for scratches and rain coming in, most of us have fitted a DUY solution, including me. A simple u-shaped rubber piece. Mine is simply put over the metal, not even clued down and it fits perfectly.

60 Citroen ID - 62 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile - 64 Giulia TI - 69 Porsche 911S Targa (Soft Window) - 72 Junior Z 1600
post #342 of 406 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

I tacked mine on (nose trim rubber) just to simplify installation but you're certainly correct.

Received the plexi clips from Afra. What a great little invention. The plexi is now perfectly snug to the trim and after a bit more jiggering, the trim looks pretty much aligned to the unaided eye.

My final and ongoing challenge is dealing with the rear bumper rubber. I've had a number of sessions where I've attempted installation and had basically no luck. It seems than an almost Herculean effort would be required. I'm going to take Tuesday morning off from work and go to a resto shop to seek help.

Meanwhile, I discovered a little (but unpleasant) electrical gremlin. The combination of fan and left turn signal blows fuse 3. I'm wondering if it's a ground issue.

I took the car for a very aggressive jaunt (up a long steep hill in traffic) in 100deg weather and had some pretty wild variances in engine temp. It's not entirely surprising but nor is it ideal. Clearly still some bugs to work out. One thing at a time though.

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #343 of 406 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 01:27 PM
jpv

Hey Brian,

I've started taking my JZ apart and I'm a bit confused with the war you repaired your outer sill.
You have maintained the joint visible between the front fender and the sill under the door, GT/Spider style but all the JZ's I see have it hidden.

Any particular reason for doing this?
Attached Images

Joćo Vale
1965 Giulia Super / 1969 GT Junior / 1971 Junior Z
post #344 of 406 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Not sure who's car that is. It's not mine. You're right though, no joint between the front fender and the rocker.

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #345 of 406 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 05:28 AM
jpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by braino View Post
Not sure who's car that is. It's not mine. You're right though, no joint between the front fender and the rocker.
ooppps! Sorry, thought I got this pic from this thread!

Thanks for the input!

Joćo Vale
1965 Giulia Super / 1969 GT Junior / 1971 Junior Z

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode