AR180015 - new owner - Page 21 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #301 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 11:59 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Alfiat
Yes, direct replacement is from rear doors of a Giulia Super - although you would think that would make them easy to find.. they are not.

Correct - Omicron did both my seat hinges. They are work well now - although due to the nature of only one locking hinge per seat, they are under too much stress. Lancia fixed this issue using the same hinge but ran a bar connecting two locking hinges (one on each side of the seat)

Fred - Now: 1966 Giulia Super -1973 1600Z Zagato -1973 Giulia Super-1983 AlfaSud 1.5 - 1968 Fiat Dino Spider, 2012 Abarth. Then: 1971 Fiat 500L-1974 Fiat 500 Abarth replica-1972 GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

btw, the design and execution of my homemade rear license plate bracket exceeds Zagato factory quality control guidelines that were in effect when my car was built

It is (at least partially) a "real" Alfa Romeo part. I cannibalized a license plate bracket from a '72 Spider parts car that I parted out several years ago.

I cemented the rubber blocks to the backing plate. It's surprisingly stable - more so than the "original" plastic piece that was originally on the car after US import. I was able to make it work with just the two little square holes and plastic mollys (also and original alfa part).

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
'67 Giulia '1750' Super - rally car
'87 Milano Gold - troop carrier
----------
'71 145 Volvo Wagon - Alfa engine transport
post #303 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 02:23 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Hah, I remember now that the door arm rests of my very early 64 Sprint GT were pretty weak, attached to just the door card, IIRC. I think I reinforced the back side of the cards with metal plate. So, maybe all the middle 60's early Alfas versions were that way at least, and the early Jr Z just had stuff stuck on from those cars.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

I've been having a really hard time finding someone to repair and fit my grille trim. Amazingly, there are no trim fitters working at the chrome shops I've called. They are reluctant to even consider taking my grille surround pieces to fill the holes and polish.

Does anyone have a ref for me on this? I was really hoping to participate in the upcoming rally season with the car - and I'd really rather not be doing it without the nose assembled and looking at least somewhat close to finished. I've already given up on taking the car on my upcoming trip with my wife. I don't think anyone will be able to get to this before the second half of March.

Ideally I'd find someone in or around the Bay Area. I'd be willing to consider SoCal, too.

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #305 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 07:51 AM

Garage
Is the nose trim a new reproduction? I have seen the repro trim fitted to a car and some modification was necessary to make it work.

Fred - Now: 1966 Giulia Super -1973 1600Z Zagato -1973 Giulia Super-1983 AlfaSud 1.5 - 1968 Fiat Dino Spider, 2012 Abarth. Then: 1971 Fiat 500L-1974 Fiat 500 Abarth replica-1972 GTV
post #306 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

The passenger side is original and fits reasonably well - needs to be repaired and polished. The driver's side is an older OEM of unknown origin and needs to be repaired, polished and fitted. Part of the issue is that the sides of the nose of my car are flatter than a production car (I was just comparing mine side-by-side to another Z last week). There are a few other slight differences, too.

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #307 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 01:20 PM

Garage
Ok, good. The oem ones must fit better that the repro that I had dealings with. I had mine polished at a powder coating/polishing company on Long Island. I'm sure there must be one on your side of the country.

post #308 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

I know, you would think that there would be at least a few folks around who can do this stuff. I've talked to a number of pros and haven't had much luck so far. The closest I've come is a hot rod coachbuilder that I was referred to. They were very friendly on the phone but never responded to emails after they were sent. Might be that the project is both too small and too difficult...

cheers - Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #309 of 406 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 05:02 PM

I have not checked in here in a while - This is just great. Congratulations on the progress.

So yes on a meeting in SLO. I am in (Drove the Junior Z twice from OC to Monterey. What a blast).

On license plate: Mine had simply holes drilled above the indented panel. I had them filled for a pure look. The CA license plate is fixed to the rear window with suction cups ...

When you speak on how to fix the upper window trim, which piece do you refer to? The black u-shaped metal piece on top of the door? Originally, this is very, very crudely fixed with some springs with teeth that bite down onto the metal lip on the door. And can scratch it down to the metal ... Thanks, Zagato ...

The nose trim should be easily adjusted (Actually, better to adjust the nose?) by a competent body shop. I say better to do with nose as good body shops pre-fit those pieces prior to finishing the metal work and paint. I am surprised that the replacement pieces fit so badly. Then again, the original pieces did not fit too well either, especially after all the body work that most of our cars suffered upfront due to worthless bumpers ...

Mike

60 Citroen ID - 62 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile - 64 Giulia TI - 69 Porsche 911S Targa (Soft Window) - 72 Junior Z 1600
post #310 of 406 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Hey Mike - Totally agree with the "fit the nose to the trim" diagnosis. I was sent images of the "fitting" done by my shop - apparently this was not really as much of a "fitting" as it was a photo opp.

Alas, I'm still trying to find the right person/people to help with this issue.

Meanwhile, I've been recovering from a minor surgery and traveling for work a great deal. I've not even been into my shop in something close to six weeks. There are co-webs accumulating. I have a complete set of drilled and slotted rotors to install and new front pads. The front rotors (which have been turned twice too many times) are not safe for highway speeds. I'm also needing to remove the left wing window assembly to have the upper attachment bracket re-welded.

I'm going to use strip caulk to install the window scraper trim - definitely a better option than sharp, metallic things that scrape paint, etc.

SLO is a great idea. Another possibility to consider - how about we all meet up and run the Fault-line rally this summer? It's a little bit further north but it would be really fun to have a contingent of Junior Z's together. It's the only one of the major rally's I've not been on and I've heard that it's by far the most fun.

cheers - Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #311 of 406 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Finally brought the Z to the shop to get the rotors swapped out. I've just been too busy w/ work and physically limited by my ankle (partially torn Achilles) to get things done. The good news is that this is really the "last" bit of mechanical upgrading the car will need to make it rally ready.

A friend of mine from the Italian motorbike community connected me with a sheet-metal guy who has a lot of vintage Alfa experience. I've shared some pics of the nose trim and bumper with him and he seems to think he can straighten everything out. I'm going to bring the car buy his shop on Saturday - hopefully he can help me get this car finished. I've been talking to friends and was thinking I'd try and run the Faultline this year. It's a great vintage rally up and around the Central Coast of California. Some of the best roads in the State. There's even a hill climb.

I haven't seen my car outside of the confines of my little shop. Nice to get back a few feet from it again...

cheers,
Brian
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #312 of 406 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 10:46 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Going to have some of that anti-rockchip film on the front of the car and hood? Friend of mine has it on both his Boxster and Audi A6, and it works well to prevent those irritating chips in the nice paint, while being very hard to see.

Wish I had done it on my 91 164S some time after I had the car repainted, it now having several of the nicks in the hood.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 04-24-2016 at 05:11 PM.
post #313 of 406 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

I've thought about that, Del. Part of me thinks it might be cool to have the nose "wrapped" in while Mylar - GTA style.

Some good news - I've finally found a trim/body guy to help with the nose trim fitting. He's going to take the car in mid May. The process will involve cutting the driver's side trim into sections re-welding it after removing some metal. This guy works on a lot of Ferraris and was a bit taken aback by the less than perfect body lines and build quality of my car. He used to work for Jesse James so perfection is his standard. I did my best to communicate the Alfa/Zagato ethos - it's definitely a different kind of perfection (one that involves fewer straight lines).

Picked the car up from the shop. It now has new drilled/slotted rotors, front bearings and a warranty replacement 123 ignition. Chris described it as a scared rabbit - it really does go like stink now. I had the last ignition set to the 1750 Spider setting (#6) but he used position B. It idles perfectly and it's hard to not squeal the tires in 2nd. Very fun. The new brakes feel much bigger - there's no comparison.

cheers,
B

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #314 of 406 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Wow. People are so quiet this time of year. I hope it's because they're out driving their cars.

I was traveling for two weeks but got back late Friday morning. Took the Z out for a for-real serious flog on the twisties behind the Oakland hills. The first half of the drive was completely uninterrupted by traffic or cycles. I'm really eager to drive a bit with some other folks to compare - it feels quicker than any previous alfa and with the new suspension, there's so little travel that you can go airborne and not make any contact on return to the ground (I hit a couple of big rises).

Waiting for the trim guy to get back from Monoco (he's there with a Ferrari F1 he helped restore) then hopefully I'll get the trim issues addressed and the car will start feeling more complete.

I'd love to hear an update from folks on where they're at. Anyone have any plans to rally this summer? I'm planning on joining the Faultline Rally in July - it would be cool if there were a couple more Zs on the route with me.

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #315 of 406 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 01:51 PM

Heya Brian.

Is very quiet.

I have not used my JNR Z since November 2014.
Was a 2000 km trip from Sydney to Melbourne return in 3 days for the AROCA concourse where Zagato cars were the featured marque..
Won the Zagato class also.

I look at this forum every day,,for the updates.

Keep posting Brian

I recently picked up a set of Campagnolo 5 star wheels for my car.yeah,,those rare lightweight ones.
So now I can swap between Momo vegas and the Campys.

Long distance drives in the Jnr Z are very rewarding,,so hopefully you will do some rallys as I have done.

Faultline Rally sounds fun,,but too far for me.

Might be time for me to start driving the Z again.

Robert

1972 105 GT Veloce 2000
1976 2L Spider
1984 GTV 6 3 litre
1967 GSGT 2 litre

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode