AR180015 - new owner - Page 20 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #286 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

TheZ is back on the road. I took her out for a shakedown drive on Friday. Engine is running great. The car ripped up clairmont ave to the top of the Berkeley hills just as I remembered.

Driving across the hills I noticed some pulsing in the brakes - booster failure. The booster blew through about 1/3 of the fluid in the reservoir before I got home. Ordering a new booster.

The clutch pedal is very far back from the firewall. Can anyone tell me how to adjust? I have to bring my knee practically up to my chest to push it in. Not ideal.

I'm going to ask my friend Dave to make some driving videos with me sometime in the next couple weeks. I'll post when their complete.

Cheers
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
'67 Giulia '1750' Super - rally car
'87 Milano Gold - troop carrier
----------
'71 145 Volvo Wagon - Alfa engine transport

Last edited by braino; 02-07-2016 at 05:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #287 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Interesting discovery. I got under the Z this am to try and adjust the clutch pedal height. Turns out that someone sheared off the stud about 3/4" into the linkage rod so there's pretty much no adjustment. As this was definitely not an issue before when I had replaced the MC and slave back in 2010 - a bit of a mystery...

I've looked around a bit and it would appear that the linkage isn't exactly an easy piece to find - I'll bring this one to the machine shop on Monday and see what they can do with it. Fun stuff.

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------

Last edited by braino; 02-07-2016 at 07:26 AM.
post #288 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

first real spirited drive

OK, so the booster is now new. My friend Dave came over this am and we bled the system again. I've been through three containers of Ate fluid at this point. Thought I'd have extra left over!

We then took the car on a longer shakedown run, with a short spell on the freeway. The pads took a bit to settle in but smoothed out after a little fast driving on twisties.

It really is just down to some cosmetic stuff and the car will be "done". I'm planning on getting some 15" wheels at some point down the road but I'm really at the end of my budget for the time being (just made it over the finish line, too).

Dave is a great photographer and posted a few pics. Once the trim is all installed we're going to make a short video about the car. Should be fun.

I honestly can't believe that I have the car back on the road. It's not even a year since Morgan and I trailered it down from Tacoma and I've managed to completely assemble the thing and work out most of the kinks. It's even more fun to drive than I expected. It's downright gentlemanly as we were saying this am. The sound/heat proofing is just about right and there's not too much vibration other than the rear view mirror.

This is restoration #12 for me but by far the most complete tear-down I've ever done. Before it was really just some welding to replace floors, motor rebuilds, suspension replacement, installing seat covers, cleaning up and restoring bits and pieces, etc. I've never started with a completely bare shell.

For all you folks who are at the beginning of the journey, hang in there. You reach a point where you start to enjoy driving and improving the car. It does happen.

cheers,
Brian
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #289 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

While people are still paying attention, I might as well ask if anyone knows how the upper window trim attaches to the door. This is the piece that retains the outer window scraper felt - one piece of trim from the front to the back of the window.

There are no holes drilled in the trim that I have and I haven't found any trim clips that fit it. Another Zagato that I've seen has the trim screwed to the body from the outside on both ends. This seems pretty drastic.

I also noticed that installing the side-view mirror is a bit more complicated than I had hoped. I have a backing plate for my Vitaloni that has two threaded holes. I've installed mirrors on Spiders before and the backing plate functions to prevent the mirror from being torn off the car (if you were just using sheet metal screws). Seeing as the Z has aluminum door skins, I figured this would be of especially great concern. Has anyone installed their own mirrors? Was it possible to get the backing plate up into the space under the outer door skin? If you've ever felt around inside the upper part of a Junior Z door you'll know what I mean.

I'd rather not drill holes until I've figured this out! Once drilled there's not going back...

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #290 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 08:34 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Alfiat
I used this stuff:

Fred - Now: 1966 Giulia Super -1973 1600Z Zagato -1973 Giulia Super-1983 AlfaSud 1.5 - 1968 Fiat Dino Spider, 2012 Abarth. Then: 1971 Fiat 500L-1974 Fiat 500 Abarth replica-1972 GTV
post #291 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 01:24 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Some of the newer emblem and interior rear view mirror two sided adhesive tape is pretty darn strong. Don't know if you wanted to try that. I also would sure hesitate to drill holes in that aluminum.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #292 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Ordered me some of that strip caulk. Great idea. Would help to minimize vibration, too, no?

It's been suggested that I should use silicone glue for badges and emblems - I was going to grind off the studs from the cloisonne and rear emblems to avoid adding holes. I've also figured out a clever strategy for mounting the license place. I'll post pics.

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #293 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 05:22 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"It's been suggested that I should use silicone glue for badges and emblems"

I'd be careful to check to see if the silicone glue will affect/damage the paint. My dealer normally recommended the special rear view mirror/emblem double sided tape.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #294 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Hey Del,

Thanks for the info. I just ordered this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

Seems to have decent reviews. I'll give it a shot.

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #295 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

While I'm waiting for the above adhesive products to arrive, I decided to take a crack at installing the rear bumper rubber pieces. I had purchased new stuff from Cigognani a few months ago.

Installation of the front sections was a snap but I've been tinkering around with the rears for a while and have had pretty much zero luck. It's very challenging and requires a ridiculous amount of force to get both runner inserts started and once you have one side, it's inevitably pulled out when you start with the other.

I'm curious if anyone else discovered a trick for this. For me, next steps will be to remove the bumper entirely and try installing on the bench. This seems like a half solution however, since the top pieces ends cover the top two bolts.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #296 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

more shaking down

Had the car out for another shake down yesterday - the brakes are still not right. Hard braking at freeway speeds generates a really strong, fast vibration - almost hammer-like. I suspect that the front rotors were not turned properly and have some big warps in them. I ordered a set of drilled / slotted rotors and will replace. This will give me a chance to take a look at the front bearings and renew the grease, too. I'll post pics when I get into this project.

Here's a pic of my cleverly minimal license place bracket and a gratuitous shot of the interior. It's starting to look like a real car now.

My good friend Ruth Ann came by for brunch yesterday with her Z - which is from the middle of the production run. After we ate we went out and compared our cars for a bit. It is completely insane how different our cars are. My rear panel is a good 3/4" taller than hers. The front quarters on my car are visibly flatter than her car. The framing around the tail-lights is also much narrower on my car. In general, the lines are a bit sharper and more angular on mine. It's quite noticeable. It makes you wonder how they built my car, if they panels were hammered out on a buck and then tacked together...

I'll post a more comprehensive set of exterior shots once I have all the trim installed, etc. It'll be a couple of months.

cheers,
Brian
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #297 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 10:42 AM

Garage
Thanks for the photos. I'd love to see detailed comparison photos of the two cars. I prefer the look of arm rests of the 1300 to that of the my 1600. Glad both got the cool (and very modern) seats.

Fred - Now: 1966 Giulia Super -1973 1600Z Zagato -1973 Giulia Super-1983 AlfaSud 1.5 - 1968 Fiat Dino Spider, 2012 Abarth. Then: 1971 Fiat 500L-1974 Fiat 500 Abarth replica-1972 GTV
post #298 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

I wouldn't call them arm-rests. They're so delicate it's better to call them "center door-card decorations". I always roll the window down to close the door and ask passengers to do the same. I'm not super precious but at the same time, it would suck for that person if they tried to pull the door closed and wound up with a loose door handle in their hand...

I'll probably get the seats recovered in a couple of years. They feel pretty loose and the vinyl wasn't stretched properly - bunches at the seames. It seems to be getting better as I drive the car, though.

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #299 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 11:16 AM

Garage
I've got the same "arm-rests" on the rear doors of my 66 super. As you probably know, the 1600 uses the rests from the GTV. They're a bit too bulky for the very confined inside of a Zagato.

I wonder if the seat base foam for the Z seat was used on any other car? Perhaps the spider will work?

BTW, how are your seat recliner arms working? For years my seats would fall back upon hitting a bump in the road. I finally had them fixed at a Lancia shop in the UK.

post #300 of 406 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

I think someone did a comparison of arm rests a ways back and the Zagato ones were significantly shorter than other similar ones. Interesting that the rear super arm rests are the same. Didn't know this.

The foam in my seats is original and in excellent condition - which was an amazing discovery. I think the springs are beat.

I don't want to jinx myself but the seat hinges in my car are fully functional. That would not be great if they reclined randomly. Did you send yours to Omicron?

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode