AR180015 - new owner - Page 18 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #256 of 406 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 08:16 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Z jr

Great chronology of your work & fine work displayed! I can tell you enjoy what you're doing! I'm "tinkering on" a '73 Spider but the work is slow.

"No chance, no destiny, no fate can circumvent, change or control the firm resolve of a determined soul"

73 Spider
80 BMW e21(Sold, gone to Houston)
79 Spider (sold)
78 Spider (sold, gone to U K)
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 406 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 10:33 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Bellissimo!!

Well, you could try starting the car with the tranny in neutral.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #258 of 406 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

she's back

13" wiper blades arrived - just in time for me to install them before trying to start the car.

The Zagato started right up after a little bit of effort. The lack of exhaust terrified my poor daughter who was taking a nap. I don't know if anyone reading this has ever heard a 19m/o girl wake up and yell, "What is that!" - my wife has.

It's already running pretty smoothly, surprisingly enough. I'll be able to adjust the carbs better when the car has an exhaust on it.

In theory, I'll be DRIVING the Z to the shop on Monday or Tuesday to resolve this issue...

cheers,
Brian
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
'67 Giulia '1750' Super - rally car
'87 Milano Gold - troop carrier
----------
'71 145 Volvo Wagon - Alfa engine transport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #259 of 406 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 09:59 AM

Ugh, if I still lived in the Bay Area I'd be over to help with the bleeding.

If I ever undertake a restoration of this magnitude, I'll use your experience as a lesson to strip the car myself as much as I can, and keep the parts at home. Doesn't seem to have held you up too much, though!

Chris Keen / Rusty But Trusty - http://rustybuttrusty.com
77 spider veloce - since '91/'79 sprint veloce - since '05/'72 2002tii -since '12
post #260 of 406 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

I know you would have been here. You'll get to see the Z soon enough though. No worries.

If I were to every get into this sort of project again (which is highly unlikely) I will definitely remove and hold onto anything that is rare and valuable. It's too much responsibility for a shop - and seemingly not their core competency, from not just my story but the many others I began to hear as I was searching for parts.

To me, it makes more sense to just replace consumables and common bits. With this sort of restoration, I would just assume renew anything the is in question, rather than risking failure at some point in the near future. e.g. I'm still going to replace my starter and get the generator rebuilt - the two things that are more or less untouched from before the resto. I'm concerned about the generator, already.

Just fiddling with the door handles this am. Discovered that the new latch mechanisms don't quite line up as they should. Going to try and bend them into place - may need to fabricate something. We'll see.

Heading to the muffler shop tomorrow. Mitch is busy today.

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------

Last edited by braino; 01-11-2016 at 11:39 AM.
post #261 of 406 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 10:13 AM
RIP 9/10/2017

Garage
When I got done with my Jr. Z, there were "known issues" with the restoration. Two years later, my hit list is down to a few items. When you take a car that far apart, its hard to see the end of the tunnel, but you're there now... When you're done, we should meet in the middle of CA along the coast... say SLO. Good drive for both Zagatos and maybe we can talk some other owners in to joining us.

'73 1600 Jr. Zagato, '73 GTV, '12 Fiat 500 Abarth
post #262 of 406 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Yeah - I know what you mean. It took me about nine months to get my Giulietta completely sorted out after a similar level of restoration. I see a glimmer at the end of the tunnel - it'll be even brighter at the end of this week once the car has an exhaust and an alignment. I'm less concerned about the wiring issues. I know I'll sort them out eventually.

It's looking like I'm going to have to replace the oil pressure gauge. I did a bunch of tinkering early this am and I am 90% sure there must be an internal short. This means I'll need to pull the dash and the radio. Not that big a deal but a days work. I know how important oil pressure is with Alfas. Definitely want to get that one worked out asap.

That sounds like a great idea - meeting up in SLO. Something to look forward to!

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #263 of 406 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 12:18 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Alfiat
I totally agree that the safest way to do a resto on a car is to deliver a stripped car to a bodyshop. That way while they have the body, the bolt on parts can all be cleaned, polished or replaced at home. Even with this process parts still can be lost. The chrome shop lost my Z's door buttons and it took forever to replace them.

Sadly another thing I've learned is replacing parts with new (if available) is not always as good as cleaning up/rebuilding old parts as the original parts fit better and are of higher quality in many cases. Two exceptions: I replaced my factory starter with a gear reduction version. It's smaller/lighter and cranks twice as fast. Alternator - I also replaced it for a modern higher amp model. (Both items sourced from Alfaholics)

Thanks for the great postings!

Any West Coast Z owners thinking of going to Nashville for the AROC convention in June?

Fred - Now: 1966 Giulia Super -1973 1600Z Zagato -1973 Giulia Super-1983 AlfaSud 1.5 - 1968 Fiat Dino Spider, 2012 Abarth. Then: 1971 Fiat 500L-1974 Fiat 500 Abarth replica-1972 GTV
post #264 of 406 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

I remember the door button thing. Glad they were able to replace them! I was very lucky in finding a set of door handles from a local source. The only other set were in NL and were not in as good shape.

I just installed the handles and got them working yesterday. The little striker on the back of the handle wasn't making contact with the latch. After trying to figure out a design for a fabricated piece, I had the bright idea of just using a couple of big fender washers. It worked quite perfectly - hopefully they won't come loose. At the point, the only exterior stuff remaining are the exterior window scrapers, the alfa romeo script, the "Junior Z" script and the alfa badge on the nose. The shop filled all of the holes for the badges - with the exception of the "Z" badges on the side. I'm debating whether I should bother re-drilling holes or just using adhesive to attach them. Seems like adhesive would be the more reasonable solution. Any opinions on this?

I need to do some work on the rear bumper. Nothing major but need to do some filling and sanding. I haven't attached the new rubber to it yet.

I'm leaving in a few minutes to DRIVE the Z to the exhaust shop. Need to test the brakes and clutch a bit first but hopefully I'll make it

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #265 of 406 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 09:55 AM
RIP 9/10/2017

Garage
Yeah, its going to a shop under its own power (fingers crossed). I did not re-drill the holes in the badges. I used clear silicon to adhere then to the nose and sides. All the holes in the rear were there and accessible.

'73 1600 Jr. Zagato, '73 GTV, '12 Fiat 500 Abarth
post #266 of 406 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 10:14 AM

Is it possible they just forgot to clear the smoothing layer of filler out of the holes before the car went to paint? I've had that happen, and a bit of judicious poking (probably gentle drilling for this kind of restoration, to do it properly) cleared them out... on the other hand, you don't want to disturb the integrity of the paint job, assuming the car will see occasional fog/rain when you drive it.

Chris Keen / Rusty But Trusty - http://rustybuttrusty.com
77 spider veloce - since '91/'79 sprint veloce - since '05/'72 2002tii -since '12
post #267 of 406 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

It's a really nice paint job. I hate to defile it in any way. I think they use Sikkens? It's obviously nothing close to stock in terms of the depth and thickness of the paint but the color is dead on, and the metallic fleck is as tiny as the original as well. The beauty lines and edges of the tail, etc. are still very sharp. I'm pretty sure they leave them tight with the expectation that the paint will round them out a bit. The general shape of the car is pretty close to stock in this sense.

Anyone interested in meeting up for this?:
Going To The Sun Rally | The Montana Vintage Car Rally

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #268 of 406 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

ok. Made it to Mitch's place. I think the rear brakes are sticking a bit. Not sure what's up. It was running pretty hot - I didn't check the timing with a light yet - it's probably advanced really far.

Handling is pretty good considering that I just eyeballed the alignment.

I am deaf right now. It was very loud. Also a bit dizzy from the fumes.
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #269 of 406 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Looks like I used the incorrect proportioning valve when I re-assembled the brakes (as MJLand said, "your mechanic is an idiot!"). I suspect this is why the rear brakes are so tight - must be a valve from a big drum system or something - maybe even Lancia - something high pressure?

It looked like the same one from the pictures I took but it must have been from another car. I'll send it back to the shop.

Looking back at photos from five years ago - what a mess the engine compartment was. I've tried to keep it really organized. I'm sure there are some blaring incongruities with the original layout of the harness, hard lines, hoses, etc. My car doesn't have a lot of the metal hold-down tabs that production cars have. Some are missing, some were torn off. The battery is the big one - the big red-top Optima is really ugly, but they don't vent sulfuric acid vapor, which is a huge bonus. If you've ever looked inside of the passenger side tail-fin of a giulietta (location of the battery) you'd see what that can do to sheet metal...

I'm going to bleed the brakes in a minute then maybe get a tow to my friend Chris' shop. The car isn't starting now. I've tried pretty much everything I know to get it started - re-set the static timing, several different plug gaps, etc. Figured I'll have him work a few of the bugs out for me. This is assuming that the motor didn't somehow skip a tooth and bend a valve stem.

cheers,
Brian
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #270 of 406 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

plates

Here's a question for the general Junior Z owners community - how is your rear license plate mounted? My car had some sort of a (homemade?) plastic bracket that is now lost. I definitely need to fabricate something.

There are two small square holes in the top/center of the recessed area of the rear panel. I've been looking at what I think are the correct square plastic anchors but the holes are spaced wider than a US license plate (of course). I'm keen on not drilling more holes. I was thinking of perhaps picking up a set of old European plates and then attaching the US plate over this but would still need some way to mount.

It would be very helpful if folks could share pics or explanations of how this problem has been resolved with their car.

Many thanks - Brian
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode