AR180015 - new owner - Page 17 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #241 of 406 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 11:00 AM

Are you saying there are repros for the forward/ vent cover piece/ If so, I assume it is the same than in a 1600. Do you have a source for it?

Thanks,

Mike

60 Citroen ID - 62 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile - 64 Giulia TI - 69 Porsche 911S Targa (Soft Window) - 72 Junior Z 1600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 406 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 11:44 AM
RIP 9/10/2017

Garage
The 1300 and 1600 dash panels with the vent holes are completely different. I purchased the 1300 panel thinking it might work, no joy... I made a new panel of aluminium and epoxied in the vents I cut out of the purchased plastic panel. The interior shop covered it with vinyl. Looks great and won't warp.

'73 1600 Jr. Zagato, '73 GTV, '12 Fiat 500 Abarth
post #243 of 406 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

I got the replacement panel from Trail Auto back in 2009. Dean had a bunch of them so any 1300 owners who need one should reach out to him.

Morgan's solution is pretty optimal for 1600's. He's right that it solves the problem of heat warping - something I'm sure to be dealing with in a year or two with my plastic spare.

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
'67 Giulia '1750' Super - rally car
'87 Milano Gold - troop carrier
----------
'71 145 Volvo Wagon - Alfa engine transport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 406 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 04:04 PM

Dang - If I do it, I will likely go the Just Dashes route. I so do not like the idea of upholstering the dash and vent cover ... Thanks, for the info, guys

60 Citroen ID - 62 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile - 64 Giulia TI - 69 Porsche 911S Targa (Soft Window) - 72 Junior Z 1600
post #245 of 406 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 04:22 PM
RIP 9/10/2017

Garage
I liked the Just Dashes option but my budget didn't allow for it.

'73 1600 Jr. Zagato, '73 GTV, '12 Fiat 500 Abarth
post #246 of 406 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Work and biz travel has been taking up all of my time...

Waiting for a package from the UK containing a few more crucial bits. Taking Friday off to crank through installation of carbs, exhaust front pipe and starting to test the wiring harness. Need to buy a battery in the morning!

Eventually, I'm going to install relays to take some of the load off of the fuse box, but I figured there's no big rush...

I'll post pics as things come together!

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #247 of 406 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Well, not as much time as I hoped this week, but thanks to insomnia I managed to put in several hours last night installing the Webers. Rebuilt by Wes Ingram - they look so clean and perfect. I was working in my pajamas last night and didn't get a spot of dirt or oil on me.

Everything under the hood (excepting the ignition) is not installed and ready to go. Yesterday I drained the old oil from the cam galleys and poured in fresh 10W50. The old oil filter was seized to the housing so I had to remove that and heat it up. New filter is now installed. I also installed the tank last night.

Now I just need to find ye old TDC, install the ignition and fire her up. I'm looking for a day off this week to try...

cheers,
Brian
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #248 of 406 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 09:50 AM

So envious of your admirable progress.... cutting back to one old car sure helps get things focused. What's up with the third clamp on the radiator hose? Is that for good luck or just a side effect of lack of sleep?

Chris Keen / Rusty But Trusty - http://rustybuttrusty.com
77 spider veloce - since '91/'79 sprint veloce - since '05/'72 2002tii -since '12
post #249 of 406 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Thx Chris. You're too kind. Waiting to hear a progress report on the Sprint. We need to do a mini rally when that car is on the road! Definitely need to get the Zagato up to the Northwest - I want to pay a visit to Wes' shop to optimize the engine's tune...

I've been pretty busy this week so not too much time spent on the project, but regardless I'm at an impasse. The #6 fuse blows when I turn the ignition to the on position. I pulled the radio to access the tri-gauges - there seems to be power from the pink wire the should only be carrying juice to the gauges when the brown wire from the ignition is live. Not sure if the battery is grounding to the car somehow or if one of the other gauge wires is live for some reason.

Need to take a refresher on using a multi-meter. I can't just keep blowing fuses to test whether I've found/fixed the fault.

Meanwhile, I've ordered a new column switch. Mine is completely hosed. After extensive cleaning, I still can't get the grit out of it - it's very loose and doesn't make the connection for the headlights - I'm only getting high beams. This was a periodic issue back when the car was running but now it's time to just replace the unit.

I'm hoping that I can take a couple of days off next week. It'll be a bit of a miracle if I can but it would be fantastic to have daylight hours to get this particular project completed. I may call in the cavalry, too (in the form of one of the local experts).

I'll post an update w/ some additional photos in the next couple of days. I'll try and document some of the process of resolving my electrical issues...

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #250 of 406 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

harness progress

Fixed the short. It was a ground fault in the harness going to the tri-gauges.

Everything is working now, except for the gauge lights. I removed and re-attached the harness to no avail. I may need help on that one.

The interior is going to have a bit of a patina - there's no helping it. I think I've replaced everything that is replaceable at this point

Still, it's looking pretty tight. I'm just waiting for a few new bits for the center console.
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #251 of 406 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 08:00 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Just amazing seeing this car being restored to probably better than when we drove it in 75.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #252 of 406 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Del!

You should know, I have one of the images you shared with me as the desktop on the TV in my living room. My 19mo old daughter says "Papa's car" when she sees it. It's one of the photos after Bill had the car for a while - with crude racing livery - what looks like adhesive numbers and black paint covering the parts of the car that might have made contact with the tire wall (damage that was evident after we stripped the car to bare metal.

So - another early and productive morning. The dash lighting issue is resovled. The wipers are working correctly. I don't know of any other electrical faults at this time. It turns out that there is a small error in the harness. Both the instrument lighting switch and the wiper switch have a black/white wire. The wiper wire comes from the foot squirter pump and sends juice to the wipers when you're washing the windshield. The instrument-light switch wire sends juice to the dash lights. The wrong white/black wire was bundled to the yellow wire that comes from the parking light indicator light (how the dash lights get their power).

OKP - if you're reading this, you should make sure to correct this issue It took me a good five hours to figure out! It's nice to know that I'm not entirely as incapable as thought I was...

The exhaust front pipe is installed now. It's really down to just getting the ignition installed, setting up the carbs, installing a seat...

I'm going to wait for a deliver containing a new chrome gaiter frame before I'll install the center console. Mine is missing two pins. I was debating whether or not to just go with it, but then I remembered how much fun it was removing the center console.

cheers,
Brian
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #253 of 406 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Had a nice chunk of time two mornings in a row. I finished installation of the front pipe. It's really snug now. Seems like most of the Alfas I've owned leaked at least a little at the separation between the cast headers and the front pipe - hopefully these won't.

I've also completed installation of the carbs, mounting the bottom of the air can and setting up the linkages and strut.

My focus then turned to the interior. There were still some wiring issues with the wipers - the switch was working in the inverse - the high setting was off. Once again, I discovered a small error in the okp harness. It's sorted now and the wipers work correctly.

I built a harness for the stereo - running speaker cable from the head unit to the am and then back to the speakers. I included a fused power wire for the amp. The radio face plate is the correct one for the car (at least, it's the one they would use when installing radios at a dealer). I managed to find it from a UK dealer, along with the Koln unit that is now back installed in the dash. I'm pairing it with a new Blau amp that's designed to work with older head units - you can run hot speaker outputs into it, which really simplifies things. I managed to find NOS Polk audio two-way speakers, which fit perfectly into the holes that were already cut in the center console. It'll look reasonably period but will sound great. The head unit has a DIN plug for a mic plug so I can hook my phone up to it, too.

I'm running power for both the head and amp out of the ignition switch for now. I'll make a push to install relays after I get the car running. I've gotten very refined with my wiring at this point. I'm stripping wires using the correct gauge of stripper, heat shrinking connections and then capping everything with silicone wire end covers. It's going to last forever.

The center console went in only after I turned to brute force. I remember how hard it was to get it out - it was harder to get it back in. The tops of both of the rubber edging were trimmed by the factory, I suspect. I hadn't noticed that on removal. It's all very crude. Once again, it would be fun to compare this setup to a production car. I bet they sorted it all out by then. I had to glue in the sheet metal to the drive-shaft tunnel cover. It's clamped and sitting on my work table. I fitted and it seems to go in fine. Should be pretty easy.

I connected everything to the big harness plugs and tested it all out. Everything still works, even the hatch.

The engine is now filled with oil. I need to add coolant, install the distributor, set up the carbs and gap the plugs. Oh, and I need to bleed the clutch - don't want to forget that one.
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #254 of 406 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

So much progress this week. I eyeballed the alignment this am, getting the steering wheel centered. I installed the 123 and set up the static timing. Plugs are gapped and installed along with the wires. Interior is finished except for the door panels. Just need someone's help to bleed the clutch then I'm ready to try to start her up.

I'll post some pics tomorrow. Entering this post from my phone.

Cheers
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------
post #255 of 406 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Hoping I can get a second set of hands (feet) today to quick bleed the clutch. This is all that stands between me and attempting to start the Z.

You'll see that I've installed the seats. Before I did this I got up early this am and finished the wiring harness to the amp, which is under the passenger seat. This is all set up and mounted now. I also spent some time under the dash cleaning up and zip tying loose wires. I'll probably have to keep going under there once the car is on the road - I'm anticipating lots of vibration and noise from all the stuff under there.

The shop lost the passenger side sliding rail. Like everything else on this car, these are unique. It's 1.25" longer than the stepnose rail they sent as a replacement. I've used this rail for now until I figure out a solution to my problem. I'm expecting that I'll need to get a rail fabricated

I also need to get thinner backing plates for the door handles made. When we were restoring the sheet metal, it was decided to beef up the aluminum skin a bit around the door handle opening. These ten to spiderweb after months or years of pulling the doors open. This extra thickness was just enough to render the door handle studs too short. The original aluminum horseshoe that backs the handle is about .25" too thick. I'll wait to install the door panels until I've resolved this issue.

My friends at Alfa Parts dug into their stock in the back room and found an original Junior Z rear exhaust section. I'm still going to have the center section fabricated but the rear section will look very original. It was a bit dusty and had a little surface rust, but I sanded it, metal prepped it and gave it a few coats of high-temp primer and black satin. It looks pretty good.

I'm crossing my fingers that I can find a helper today. It would be great to even have a failed attempt at getting the car started...

cheers,
Brian
Attached Images

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
----------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode