Had a nice chunk of time two mornings in a row. I finished installation of the front pipe. It's really snug now. Seems like most of the Alfas I've owned leaked at least a little at the separation between the cast headers and the front pipe - hopefully these won't.
I've also completed installation of the carbs, mounting the bottom of the air can and setting up the linkages and strut.
My focus then turned to the interior. There were still some wiring issues with the wipers - the switch was working in the inverse - the high setting was off. Once again, I discovered a small error in the okp harness. It's sorted now and the wipers work correctly.
I built a harness for the stereo - running speaker cable from the head unit to the am and then back to the speakers. I included a fused power wire for the amp. The radio face plate is the correct one for the car (at least, it's the one they would use when installing radios at a dealer). I managed to find it from a UK dealer, along with the Koln unit that is now back installed in the dash. I'm pairing it with a new Blau amp that's designed to work with older head units - you can run hot speaker outputs into it, which really simplifies things. I managed to find NOS Polk audio two-way speakers, which fit perfectly into the holes that were already cut in the center console. It'll look reasonably period but will sound great. The head unit has a DIN plug for a mic plug so I can hook my phone up to it, too.
I'm running power for both the head and amp out of the ignition switch for now. I'll make a push to install relays after I get the car running. I've gotten very refined with my wiring at this point. I'm stripping wires using the correct gauge of stripper, heat shrinking connections and then capping everything with silicone wire end covers. It's going to last forever.
The center console went in only after I turned to brute force. I remember how hard it was to get it out - it was harder to get it back in. The tops of both of the rubber edging were trimmed by the factory, I suspect. I hadn't noticed that on removal. It's all very crude. Once again, it would be fun to compare this setup to a production car. I bet they sorted it all out by then. I had to glue in the sheet metal to the drive-shaft tunnel cover. It's clamped and sitting on my work table. I fitted and it seems to go in fine. Should be pretty easy.
I connected everything to the big harness plugs and tested it all out. Everything still works, even the hatch.
The engine is now filled with oil. I need to add coolant, install the distributor, set up the carbs and gap the plugs. Oh, and I need to bleed the clutch - don't want to forget that one.
'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
'67 Giulia '1750' Super - rally car
'87 Milano Gold - troop carrier
'71 145 Volvo Wagon - Alfa engine transport