Alfa-romeo-typo-33-stradale-continuation - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Alfa-romeo-typo-33-stradale-continuation

...It's only 2 million quid.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273735667602?ul_noapp=true

1975 Montreal - Race prepared... Mean and Green.
1999 166 3.0 V6 - Daily Driver, 1989 75 2.0 TS Turbo IMSA project car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:35 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
It's not a continuation, it's a replica.

Once they build their 5, there will still only be 16 Tipo 33 Stradales.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 10:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Hehir View Post

Really....I know somebody who has recently taken delivery of one from Goirdenago, and while there is some final assembly & sorting to do, it was certainly less than a quarter of that amount from Italy, in Australian dollars, which is about half of UK pounds. That's some mark up!
And you would think that if you're trying to flog a 2million pound car, you might get the spelling of its name correct, or maybe it was a genuine 'TYPO"! (referring to the ebay ad.)

Last edited by vsharp; 02-28-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

I agree Vince...

While perhaps I have some leeway for those really talented individuals who have skills to create a amazing continuation/replicas, you would think they would have the wherewithal to realise they don't have the talents to create an advert seeking someone to commit to a 600,000 pound down payment just to start the build.

I've not caught up with Tony for a while, but very keen to have a look at his new toy when next over in Melbourne having heard so much about it.

1975 Montreal - Race prepared... Mean and Green.
1999 166 3.0 V6 - Daily Driver, 1989 75 2.0 TS Turbo IMSA project car
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:35 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Zagato_Olaf
Continuation and replica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
It's not a continuation, it's a replica.

Once they build their 5, there will still only be 16 Tipo 33 Stradales.
Pete
Hello Pete, long time since I have been on the board. Good to see you here. As we both know, Denis Jenkinson wrote a nice book called "Directory of Historic Racing Cars", published in 1987 by Aston Publications. It contains thorough definitions on what (the condition of) a racing car is. The "replica" term is very well described. But the term "continuation" is not mentioned. What would be your definition of a "continuation"?

Ciao! Olaf

Olaf Roeten a.k.a. Zagato_Olaf, Bussum, The Netherlands
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:58 AM
PSk

IMO there is no such thing as a continuation.

It is an attempt to legitimise the term replica.

Aston Martin and Lola have produced continuations, but even they are producing replicas of cars they once made to cash in.

So IMO, once the original production run finishes, any produced after that are replicas. Why be embarrassed about calling it what it is?
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:51 AM

Right on Pete. Once the patent “expires” the generics jump in. That certainly doesn’t make them innovators...just copy cats

1973 GT Jr.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:30 PM

What about the Jaguar e-type lightweight?
Jaguar are building the remaining amount of cars with the original chassis numbers issued back in the 60's before a fire destroyed the building. They are using the same materials and original presses used to form the panels and building the cars in exactly the same way. But I guess without almost 60 years of history behind them they are still replicas, just very good and expensive ones🤔
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:50 PM

"Replica" in the car world is a Bad word. Why? if something is Replicated properly and accurately and is indistinguishable from the original to me it is the same thing. Values are one thing....To me the experience of driving is what is important. As i will probably never afore a original 33 but if a perfect replica could give me the experience of what it felt to drive a type 33.....I'd be happy......
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:25 PM

I think the new word now is re' creation, it defines a replica from a much more exact example. And I agree with that. I read an article a few years back about a father and son recreating a Ferrari P4, the engineering was superb. I can imagine that they went through the same amount of time money and thought process as those that created the original.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 12:08 AM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario Calandra View Post
"Replica" in the car world is a Bad word. Why? if something is Replicated properly and accurately and is indistinguishable from the original to me it is the same thing. Values are one thing....To me the experience of driving is what is important. As i will probably never afore a original 33 but if a perfect replica could give me the experience of what it felt to drive a type 33.....I'd be happy......
Replicas devalue real cars, I.e. you are out driving your real GTA/TZ/T33 and everybody thinks it's just a replica ... you end up having to prove it's real.

Personally I hate them, and rather they were no where near like a real car, so it's obviously a piece of poo.

On top of that many original real cars are used as donors ... to make a quick $ or 2.

Why not make your own special to your own design?
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post

Why not make your own special to your own design?
Pete
Best thing to do is forget the Tipo 33 altogether, its so out of date and technology has advanced so much that a 4C today is the answer! The Tipo is a nice dream, but its best placed in a museum and very rarely on oldtimer meets, thats all

The 4C however is something to use today. If the Turbo 4 cylinder engine is not V8 enough, why not try to fit a small V8 in it, also produced in NZ(Synergy). That would be money well spent! Although not cheap that engine. Someone find if thats possible

SYNERGYPOWER

G.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 02:45 PM
PSk

Agree

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode