Tipo 33 Stradale Replica Build - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Tipo 33 Stradale Replica Build

Alright, I'm doing it.

Chassis is going to be a steel spaceframe inspired by the "Locost" Lotus 7 Replica project. Suspension uprights, braking and steering components will be salvaged from a Miata. The transaxle will be a Subaru 5-speed unit. Engine can be anything really, but I would prefer it to be Alfa. I have access to a 2 liter Alfa engine (I've read that the first Tipo 33 prototypes had 1750 engines), or maybe I'll get a Busso V6. I'm probably not going to find an affordable Montreal V8. Hell, I could probably wedge a Ferrari/Maserati V8 in it if I really wanted to. I'm keeping that open for now.

The body will be carbon fiber. If all goes well with the buck and resulting molds, I will make more bodies to sell.

I've already designed the chassis, modeled the body, found a transmission (still need to pull it out of the donor car) and ordered steel, so this is happening. I'm waiting for a Miata to show up at a local salvage yard to get the rest of the chassis parts I need.

I'll update when i have something to update, in the meantime, enjoy this photo of a 1/10 scale body buck I made to make sure it looks "right"
Attached Images

gprocket and JCDK like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 10:31 AM
Gold Subscriber

I'm very interested in your project.

I just noticed, the other day, that Alfaholics (edit: oops, it was Classic Alfa, read on) is making a limited run of bodies. So it will be interesting to see how yours turns out.

Bob

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:

Last edited by horsewidower; 08-23-2018 at 09:29 AM.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
I'm very interested in your project.

I just noticed, the other day, that Alfaholics is making a limited run of bodies. So it will be interesting to see how yours turns out.

Bob
Whoa, Alfaholics is going to make 33 Stradale bodies? Where did you see that, I couldn't find anything.

I wouldn't be shocked though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 11:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkt View Post
I've already designed the chassis, modeled the body, ...
I'm interested in how you designed the body. The steps, the tools, the software, the model. How are you building the molds for the body?

1967 1600 Spider
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivace View Post
I'm interested in how you designed the body. The steps, the tools, the software, the model. How are you building the molds for the body?
I found a complete set of drawings on this forum, with all of the various profiles for side, top, front, and back. I then stitched them together and scaled them in AutoCAD (software by AutoDesk), and I traced each and every form by hand in that software (mostly using the polyline tool). To make the 1/10 scale model, I added slots to each form to accept each perpendicular form, scaled them down to 10% of full scale, and I laser cut the forms out of 3mm basswood.

The full scale body would use the same forms that I traced, but at full scale. I will need to cut them out by hand, or use a CNC machine to cut them from plywood, and it will be assembled in much the same way as the model. Once the full size buck is assembled, the gaps between the forms will be filled in with expanding foam. Then begins the long process of carving, sanding, and applying a tooling gel coat to act as the surface. Once that is sanded and perfectly smooth, I'll take a fiberglass mold which will become the actual molds for making the new carbon fiber parts.

That's the idea anyway. This is going to be a learning experience for sure.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 12:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
To make the 1/10 scale model, I added slots to each form to accept each perpendicular form, scaled them down to 10% of full scale, and I laser cut the forms out of 3mm basswood.
This is similar to wooden boat "lofting" drawings - sections through the shape at spaced intervals.

Do you feel like you get any minor errors in tracing a line with a poly line? Just curious how much you have to blow it up to avoid errors.

This guy in Seattle, Adam Nonis, is a complete wizard at fabricating / molding / vac forming / shaping / altering / sewing / painting..... It's amazing. He built a cool Volvo 122 shell on top of a running BMW E30 chassis...just for fun.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...n-build-thread

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...dQuarters-quot

1967 1600 Spider
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivace View Post
This is similar to wooden boat "lofting" drawings - sections through the shape at spaced intervals.

Do you feel like you get any minor errors in tracing a line with a poly line? Just curious how much you have to blow it up to avoid errors.

This guy in Seattle, Adam Nonis, is a complete wizard at fabricating / molding / vac forming / shaping / altering / sewing / painting..... It's amazing. He built a cool Volvo 122 shell on top of a running BMW E30 chassis...just for fun.
That's really amazing, thanks for the link!

Really the accuracy of the body comes down to how accurate the drawings are and how closely I follow them.

The first issue is I don't know who made the drawings or when. They could be original drawings from the mid 60's that were used to make the first bodies, or they could have been made many years afterwards. I just don't know. That's why I'm the 1/10 scale model to be sure that the shape at least looks correct, before I make a full size buck and realize that it is wrong.

I know my tracing isn't perfect, and I'm still tweaking problem areas and making finer tracings. I zoom way in to get as close to the line as possible, but at that zoom level you're sort of aiming at the center of a few grey pixels to determine where the line really is. Even if it is off, its only off by probably one or two millimeters, which I don't think would be visible as long as it is smooth and even.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 01:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
Alfaholics is making a limited run of bodies
I can't find anything on their website either.

1967 1600 Spider
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 01:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
I zoom way in to get as close to the line as possible, but at that zoom level you're sort of aiming at the center of a few grey pixels to determine where the line really is. Even if it is off, its only off by probably one or two millimeters, which I don't think would be visible as long as it is smooth and even.
Wow, yeah, that's zoomed! So, similar to boats again - make sure the line or surface is "faired" to the eye, and the numbers don't matter anymore.

This looks fun!

1967 1600 Spider
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 01:44 PM
Gold Subscriber

For the life of me, I can't find the article. I'll keep looking.

It had a cost of 16K pounds and they were working with various chassis manufacturers. I wish I had marked the article.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 01:49 PM

Classic Alfa in the UK is making the 33 bodies, also chassis are available , they have them up and running.
horsewidower likes this.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 01:52 PM

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Wow, that is very interesting. That is the first I've seen of an actual reproduction body.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 02:18 PM

Garage
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 02:55 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Peter View Post
Classic Alfa in the UK is making the 33 bodies, also chassis are available , they have them up and running.
Yep, there it is. Had my vendor wrong. Thanks, I thought I'd lost my mind.

Tags
build, kit, replica, stradale, tipo 33

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode