33TT12 for sale in Redondo Beach - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

33TT12 for sale in Redondo Beach

I assume some here may be aware of this car, but Tillack has it for sale. It's advertised in Octane magazine (and probably elsewhere). I stopped in to look at it a couple of weeks ago. It looked "race fresh" meaning not pristine, but in typical condition for an old race car. I don't know the mechanical condition or anything. I guess they could tell I wasn't a serious buyer at the asking price of $1.5 million, so I didn't get a lot of their time or attention.

I didn't get pictures, but will try and go back to do that. I'll also check the ad in Octane for chassis number and year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Chassis no. 010. Listed as "Pescarolo & Bell 1975 World Sportscar Champion".
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 07:59 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Zagato_Olaf
Could you post a link and/or some pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollingerRD View Post
Chassis no. 010. Listed as "Pescarolo & Bell 1975 World Sportscar Champion".

Hello Bollinger,

Thanks for mentioning the Tipo 33 for sale! Could you post a link where we can see the car (if there is one) and/or post pictures of it in it's present condition (if you have any)?

I had a look in the book 'Alfa Romeo Tipo 33' by Peter Collins & Ed McDonough published by velocebooks in 2005 and it mentions chassis 010 as being the Bell/Pescarolo car for the 1975 season untill the Watkins Glenn 6 hours of the 13th of july 1975.
After that no chassisnumbers are mentioned in the book and Derek Bell and Henri Pescarolo drive in different cars. 010 is owned by a mr. Joe DiLoreto according to the book (december 2005). Is there anyone who can shed light on the remainder of the season concerning which car won the championship (if any)?

I include a picture I took myself in the London Science Museum when Alfa Romeo had an exhibition of the museum cars. According to the book the chassisnumber of this 33TT12 is 115.12.006

Ciao, Olaf
Attached Images

Olaf Roeten a.k.a. Zagato_Olaf, Bussum, The Netherlands

Last edited by Zagato_Olaf; 03-30-2008 at 05:12 AM. Reason: extra information/spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 09:47 AM

Garage
And this is the 33SC12 in the museum

And this is the 33SC12 turbo car in the Alfa Romeo Museum with chassisnumber 115.12.016. Photograph courtesy of ultimatecarpage.

Ciao, Olaf
Attached Images

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 07:44 PM

Alfa Romeo T33/TT/12

Same car that showed up at a So Cal event last year?
Alfa Day at Cars and Coffee A...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 05:09 AM

Garage
Same car?

Hello Aficionado's,

According to the letter supplied with the pictures at Tillackco.com 310 937 6700, this is 115.12.010.
Thanks for the link with the pictures rshalfa (this photograph taken at the 'cars & coffee 2007').

It is interesting that the letter signed by Carlo Chiti in 1992 states that 115.12.010 was driven by Arturo Merzario & Jackie Ickx during the 1000 km's of Mugello on the 23rd of March 1975 and finished in second place.

The book 'Alfa Romeo Tipo 33' by Peter Collins & Ed McDonough states that 115.12.010 was driven by Derek Bell and Henri Pescarolo to fourth place in the same race.

Ciao, Olaf
Attached Images

Last edited by Zagato_Olaf; 03-30-2008 at 05:28 AM. Reason: extra information
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 04:59 AM

Garage
The car as it would have looked in 1975

Here is a poster celebrating winning the championship in the 1975 season with (if I am correct) Arturo Merzario behind the wheel of an 33TT12. Merzario was quite small and had a white coloured helmet just like the driver in the photograph. WKRT stands for Willi Kauhsen Racing Team, because and I quote from the book Alfa Romeo Tipo 33; quote 'at that time Alfa Romeo was owned by the Italian state and the politics of the time meant that it was not popular for Alfa Romeo to be seen spending so much on sports car racing' unquote. Although the name Willi Kauhsen suggests that it was a German racing team and although Willi arranged some German sponsorhip from a sausage manufacturer, the cars were run and serviced by Autodelta. From the Spa 750 kilometers (run on the 4th of may 1975), Campari stepped in as a sponsor. Therefore a lot of the photographs with 33TT12's from the 1975 season can be seen with the Campari sponsorship on the cars. I got this poster from the internet but do not know the source anymore.

Ciao, Olaf
Attached Images

Last edited by Zagato_Olaf; 04-01-2008 at 11:58 AM. Reason: correction and extra information
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 01:16 AM

We are currently offering chassis 010 in race ready condition for sale. The late history is very clear as the T33 has been bought directly from the factory in 1980. Since then it has been sucessfully raced all over the US.

Indeed, the result lists do vary a little bit, I am sure some confusion came up through the typical "carnet" problem of this period. I am in good contact with Willi Kauhsen and check with him which car was race where, when and with whom.

Attached some fantastic period shots of the car.
Attached Images

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Gold Subscriber

Joe's 33TT12 is pretty well known in CA vintage racing circles. This was taken at the Monterey Historics in August '85.

Best,
Tom
Attached Images

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 04:16 PM

Joe actually has two t33's, almost identical, but the one for sale has a centralized radiator intake (a '75 car) vs. the Monterey photo's offset radiator intake (a '74? car).

Somewhere I have a photo of his two T33TT12's side by side up in Monterey.

1966 Giulia Super (current)
1966 Giulia Super (R.I.P.)
1967 GTV (R.I.P.)
1955 1900CSS (R.I.P.)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janluehn View Post
Indeed, the result lists do vary a little bit, I am sure some confusion came up through the typical "carnet" problem of this period. I am in good contact with Willi Kauhsen and check with him which car was race where, when and with whom.
Hi janluehn,

It's very interesting!
Could you tell us the races with the chassis numbers and the drivers?
As you know, tipo 33 chassis number story is a quite difficult acknowledgement
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagato_Olaf View Post
Here is a poster celebrating winning the championship in the 1975 season with (if I am correct) Arturo Merzario behind the wheel of an 33TT12. Merzario was quite small and had a white coloured helmet just like the driver in the photograph. WKRT stands for Willi Kauhsen Racing Team, because and I quote from the book Alfa Romeo Tipo 33; quote 'at that time Alfa Romeo was owned by the Italian state and the politics of the time meant that it was not popular for Alfa Romeo to be seen spending so much on sports car racing' unquote. Although the name Willi Kauhsen suggests that it was a German racing team and although Willi arranged some German sponsorhip from a sausage manufacturer, the cars were run and serviced by Autodelta. From the Spa 750 kilometers (run on the 4th of may 1975), Campari stepped in as a sponsor. Therefore a lot of the photographs with 33TT12's from the 1975 season can be seen with the Campari sponsorship on the cars. I got this poster from the internet but do not know the source anymore.

Ciao, Olaf
Here's the US/English version of that poster. Sorry for the reflections, it's framed under glass.

Best,
Tom
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode