Junior Zagato Giallo (Oro) Zagato AR117 Paint - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Junior Zagato Giallo (Oro) Zagato AR117 Paint

Hello JZ owners,

I'm refocused on the restoration of my 1971 1300 Junior Zagato (VIN 1800717) and need help in determining the correct yellow color/shade of Giallo (Oro) AR117 to paint the body.

I have seen photos of "AR117" Junior Zagatos yellow paint examples on this BB web site with what looks like a range of yellow colors.

Which paint color is the true/correct Giallo (Oro) AR117 yellow?

I have looked at the Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato Sales Brochures shown on the Alfa Romeo Zagato Register & Information Site and would like to paint my car the yellow color shown on the Junior Zagato example in the JZ 1300 sales brochure.

Has anyone successfully matched the yellow shown on the JZ 1300 brochure car and what modern paint manufacture and yellow paint code was selected?

If you see this message Olaf, and all others with yellow Junior Zagatos, please comment.

Thanks for the help.

TexasAlfa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:59 AM

1300 Junior Z headrests

Hi, I have had to remove the cover on one of my headrests to make a repair to the metal rod which has broken allowing the headrest to fall from its upper position. I would like to ask if anyone can confirm if the headrests had early style PVC piping around the ends. Or any piping at all? Mine does and this matches the piping on the lower part of the seat. I have seen several cars where there is no piping and also some with the later type of PVC piping which is covered in same vinyl as the seat. Perhaps someone on this forum with an early original car has the answer?

Thanks inn advance Rob
1300 JZ
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 11:13 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Zagato_Olaf
Giallo Oro Zagato

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasalfa View Post
Hello JZ owners,

I'm refocused on the restoration of my 1971 1300 Junior Zagato (VIN 1800717) and need help in determining the correct yellow color/shade of Giallo (Oro) AR117 to paint the body.

I have seen photos of "AR117" Junior Zagatos yellow paint examples on this BB web site with what looks like a range of yellow colors.

Which paint color is the true/correct Giallo (Oro) AR117 yellow?

I have looked at the Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato Sales Brochures shown on the Alfa Romeo Zagato Register & Information Site and would like to paint my car the yellow color shown on the Junior Zagato example in the JZ 1300 sales brochure.

Has anyone successfully matched the yellow shown on the JZ 1300 brochure car and what modern paint manufacture and yellow paint code was selected?

If you see this message Olaf, and all others with yellow Junior Zagatos, please comment.

Thanks for the help.

TexasAlfa
Hello Texas,

The yellow in the GT 1300 Junior Zagato sales brochure is a deeper (Spider?)yellow, the actual colour AR 117 is more like mustard yellow. It has a little bit more green in it.
There is a thread here on the bb that contains all the colours and codes from 1972, including Zagato colours. Searching "colour codes" should bring the thread up. Let me see if I can find it.

What I did, is ask the painter to make up the colour on the basis if the sticker in the bootlid. The colour matches the colour "Giallo Oro Zagato" on the colour card of the Zagato - Montreal exactly. It is also the same as some other Giallo Oro Zagato´s that I have seen and have original colour or a colour coded repaint.

Ciao, Olaf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 11:26 AM

Garage
Color Chart

Hello Texas,

Here is the thread:http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-...materials.html

Giallo Oro Zagato is mentioned. Unfortunately no mentioning of the Ditzler/PPG or DuPont codes for this colour.

One of the other (US/Canada) Zagato owners recently painted his car in (I think) Giallo Oro Zagato. There is a thread on his car here on the BB. Maybe he knows the colour code?
Here is the link:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/limi...3060346-a.html

Ciao, Olaf

Last edited by Zagato_Olaf; 04-02-2014 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Additional info
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 11:37 AM

Garage
Changing the topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3375 View Post
Hi, I have had to remove the cover on one of my headrests to make a repair to the metal rod which has broken allowing the headrest to fall from its upper position. I would like to ask if anyone can confirm if the headrests had early style PVC piping around the ends. Or any piping at all? Mine does and this matches the piping on the lower part of the seat. I have seen several cars where there is no piping and also some with the later type of PVC piping which is covered in same vinyl as the seat. Perhaps someone on this forum with an early original car has the answer?

Thanks inn advance Rob
1300 JZ
Hello Rob,

This thread is about paint. In my opinion, changing the topic will confuse people and will make the information on the piping of the seats less easy to find for others in the future, because it is in a topic about paint.
I would advise you to start a new topic about the piping of your seats and remove your post from this thread. Your question deserves full attention!
I am very willing to help you, so please start that new thread.

Ciao! Olaf
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Help with Junior Zagato Giallo (Oro) Zagato AR117 Paint

Olaf, Thank you for your quick response. I think I going to have my local paint shop mix up several "Giallo (Oro)" paint (Glasurit) swatch samples to compare to existing/available Giallo (Oro) AR117 painted Jr Zagatos or good color quality Jr Z AR117 photos. Olaf, I sure would like to send a set of the swatch samples to you for comparison (and comment) with your Jr Zagato AR117 paint. Please respond if you think my idea might be feasible.

Also, I'm still very interested in all inputs from other Jr Z owners that have identified currently available paint codes and paint manufacture that can produce a close match to the original yellow-gold Giallo (Oro) AR117. What paint company manufactured your currently available Giallo (Oro) yellow-gold paint and what code did they assign to your "Giallo (Oro)" paint?

All, Going back to the Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato Sales Brochures, shown on the Alfa Romeo Zagato Register & Information Site, does anyone know why Alfa painted the brochure JZ 1300 car this good looking shade of yellow and did not select this yellow color as one of the official JZ 1300 paints?

All, Thanks for your help.

TexasAlfa
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 06:28 PM

Garage
I checked my spreadsheet and found Giallo Oro / Yellow Gold, Zagato Yellow (Zagota Yellow. PPG 1982) 1967-1982 listed with Ditzler/PPG Code #82115 and DuPont Code #42632.

This may be worth a try.

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 06:49 PM

Garage
Comparison

Hello Texas,

You are welcome to send me samples so I can check them against the paint on my car. Send me a private message and I will give you my address.

Did you see Tubut´s addition with the paint codes? That will be very helpfull.

Concerning the brochure; it is entirely possible that when printing the pictures, the colour turned out to be more bright yellow. I have seen pictures of my own car in the Dutch magazine "De Onschatbare Klassieker" were the colour is more bright yellow.
There are pictures of early JZ's with a more correct colour. For example in the book "Zagato" by Gianfranco Fagiuoli & Guido Gerosa, published in 1969 by L'Editrice dell'Automobile / Automobile Club d'Italia (or ACI).

Using the correct codes that Tubut noted, will be the best way to go forward in my opinion. If you want to compare, you're welcome!

Ciao, Olaf
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 06:56 PM

Garage
Adding these codes to the 1972 Alfa Romeo Color Chart -- Reference Materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubut View Post
I checked my spreadsheet and found Giallo Oro / Yellow Gold, Zagato Yellow (Zagota Yellow. PPG 1982) 1967-1982 listed with Ditzler/PPG Code #82115 and DuPont Code #42632.

This may be worth a try.
Dear Ruedi,

Could you please add these codes to post # 7 (the "Giallo Oro Zagato" post) in the 1972 Alfa Romeo Color Chart -- Reference Materials?

Thanks! Ciao, Olaf
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Zagato Giallo (Oro) Zagato AR117 Paint

Olaf, Ruedi & Others,

Thanks for your timely comments concerning currently available paints (and their manufactures) that best match Alfa's original Giallo (Oro) Zagato AR117 paint. Based on AlfaBB inputs collected to date: a) I plan on getting my paint shop to mix several "Giallo (Oro)" representative swatch samples [Olaf, I'll send you a PM on this] and b) I will do a little more research to help pin down my best choice of "Giallo (Oro)" yellow-gold for my JZ 1300.

Thanks,
TexasAlfa
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 07:57 AM
JPF
Gold Subscriber

Hi there, texasalfa! It's good to hear that your Junior Z work is back on track. I thought your car was silver... ?

0176 (pictured below) is giallo Zagato. Although it was repainted (nearly 40 years ago!), and the repaint is similar to the original, the original paint is still visible in the door jambs and engine bay. Let me know if you'd like a second opinion to Olaf's on the color match.

(Also pictured is John Rogers Elementary school, designed by the locally notable architect Theo H Damm. See Theo Damm)

-Jason
WA, USA
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Zagato Giallo (Oro) AR117 Paint

Jason,

Nice to hear from you. Your JZ still looks great. Yes, you are correct, my 1971 JZ 1300 (that you helped me find in Canada several years back) was originally painted silver gray. But, now that I'm focused on a complete rebuild, I'm also considering repainting it "Giallo (Oro)" AR117 golden yellow like your nice ride and Olaf's JZ 1300. This yellow paint in my opinion is the best looking color on these cars and I think it really brings out the body lines and surface features of these special Alfas.

And yes I would like a second opinion on the color match. I'll send you a PM on this. If I'm successful in identifying a currently available best color match, (with Olaf's and your help) for this "Giallo (Oro)" AR117 golden yellow paint, it will get shared and posted here.

Thanks,
TexasAfa
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 05:33 AM

Garage
Sikkens paint code for AR 117

Hello Texas,

Searching on the internet, I found this piece of info.

Quote "Zagato Gold, Zagato Plexi, Alfetta steel

•Subject: Zagato Gold, Zagato Plexi, Alfetta steel
•Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 17:09:12 EDT

In AD7-763 Dr Andrea Berardelli asks:

Where can I get Alfetta sheet metal?
Where to get Zagato Junior plexiglas?
What is the code for "1974 Zagato Gold?

AR 117 is on Du Pont's lists as "Yellow Gold", their code 42632;
also on Ditzler's list as "Zagato Yellow" 1973-76, their code 82115;
also on Sikkens' list as "Giallo Oro", # 424E3 on their color grid system.

Unless he gets a better answer on the Zagato Junior plexiglas, Plexiglas is
easily bought, easily vacuum-formed with heat, and easily machined, an ideal
DIY material.

What Alfetta sheet metal? I know where there are some NOS Sport Sedan doors, some excellent coupe fenders, etc.

John H." Unquote

Will this help?

Ciao, Olaf

Last edited by Zagato_Olaf; 04-06-2014 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Junior Zagato Giallo (Oro) AR117 Paint

Olaf,

Thanks for the additional JZ Giallo (Oro) paint information. I'll relay these additional paint codes and manufacture data to my paint shop. This additional information (and previous leads), plus the paint swatch samples I still plan on having made, will greatly improve the odds in finding an currently available "Giallo (Oro)" AR117 golden yellow for my ride.

TexasAlfa
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 01:40 PM
RIP 9/10/2017

Garage
I used a part from my car to match the paint. Local paint dealers have rather sophisticated color matching machines. The match I got was too yellow so I asked the dealer for a pint of white paint. The painter and I became "Mixologists" and came up with what I think is a perfect match. This color in my opinion has a bit of white that brightens the paint color. This is a pic of my Jr. last weekend along CA Highway 1 near Monterrey.

Name:  IMG_3779.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  28.8 KB

'73 1600 Jr. Zagato, '73 GTV, '12 Fiat 500 Abarth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode