So things are progressing slowly, but I'm meeting weekend goals. So far I have the motor about half assembled. Pistons will take me an hour to put in this week and my mechanic has the head done. That's been an adventure... The original head was milled about 1/8 of an inch. They had this super thick head gasket and no pins in the head so it leaked like crazy. We also found the entire head was shot, valves, guides, seats, etc. My mechanic had a head and donated it to the cause. It only needed one valve and seats as well as the porting/polishing redone. The cams are high lift, short duration so with the porting and slightly oversized seats, it should work well. The bottom end was a whole different story. Autodelta did arts and crafts on crank and rods. Lots of metal was removed and its all balanced, a real work of art. I'm puzzled with the attention to detail on the bottom end and the crap head. This used to be a race car in Italy, so I suspect it was a fix in the pits... The rest of the motor looked like it has about 10k miles on it, nothing is badly worn but the head looked like it has 100K on it. The whole car only has 23K on it.
We spent today working on the transmission. I have all the parts ready to go to reassemble the entire unit next week.
I also spent an hour taking off the rear bumper or at least what they pass off as a bumper. As always, three bolts are easy, the fourth is pain in the ***. True to form, my Dremel tool failed half way through the job and off to Sears I went to get a new one.
Goal for next week, finish the engine and transmission build. Below are some before and after shots.
'73 1600 Jr. Zagato, '73 GTV, '12 Fiat 500 Abarth
Last edited by mjlang; 07-17-2012 at 12:31 PM.