tipo 33 colotti question - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South UK
Posts: 29
tipo 33 colotti question

Hi, does anyone know what the spinning feature is at the fear of the tipo 33 transaxle please? You can see it in pics of the straddle. Thanks. Paul.
ptjeram is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South UK
Posts: 29
Hi All,

Gonna have to bump this after 6 months and 400 views !! I still haven't found an answer from elsewhere and it's surprising that for such a visible feature of the car, it's been so difficult to find an answer !

Much obliged in advance for any help on this, the answer is key to the transmission selection for my replica project. My guess (and it is just that) is that it is a parking brake feature - please prove me wrong !!!

p.s. please drop by the blog at

Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale Replica

and drop me your comments (constructive only!)

Cheers,

Paul.
ptjeram is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 02:01 PM
PSk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tauranga New Zealand
Posts: 11,551
Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Is it the clutch?. Some Ferrari gearboxes for mid engined cars have the clutch at the end.

Pete
ps: So is this replica a Montreal engine only at this stage?

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PSk; 11-12-2012 at 02:04 PM.
PSk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Senior Member
Platinum Subscriber
 
Lionel Velez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptjeram View Post
Hi, does anyone know what the spinning feature is at the fear of the tipo 33 transaxle please? You can see it in pics of the straddle. Thanks. Paul.
Are you planing to use the Coletti transaxle for a Tipo 33 stradale replica? I so you should consider this: Porsche G 50 Transmission Transaxle 5 Speed 404 | eBay

A coletti transaxle are almost impossible to find. Last a saw for sale about a couple of years ago went for about $10,000.
Lionel Velez is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South UK
Posts: 29
Hmmm, thanks for your suggestion sig, it looks too lightweight, at least to me, to be a clutch, but I can't be certain either way. There is an actuating arm coming in from the side which looks like it would hold a parking brake and not much more.

Yes, just the engine reported on so far. I am drowning in documentation, CAD models, quotes etc for the chassis, wheels, suspension and body but to date I'm just blogging on the engine. A friend told me to do the body moulds first and sell panels to fund the project, but the engine came up for sale and so this became step 1 (heart over head as usual with anything Alfa).

Lionel, that would be great but I think we saw the same Colotti unit and they are rare as hen's teeth and priced accordingly. Hewland would be good but price is also high for this kind of project. I'm going to settle for a modern 6 speed transaxle, it won't be straight cut because the price is X10 so maybe an upgrade for the future.

My main thought on my original question is whether I can adapt an audi quattro transaxle to include this feature on the rear end of the original gearbox.

Thanks for your thoughts...
ptjeram is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,268
Peter is a great guy, a little busy with the projects and assorted emails.
Stradale Tipo 33 Factory
Might be worth getting in touch with him.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/pict...e-replica.html
81gtv6 is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Senior Member
Platinum Subscriber
 
Lionel Velez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptjeram View Post
Hmmm, thanks for your suggestion sig, it looks too lightweight, at least to me, to be a clutch, but I can't be certain either way. There is an actuating arm coming in from the side which looks like it would hold a parking brake and not much more.

Yes, just the engine reported on so far. I am drowning in documentation, CAD models, quotes etc for the chassis, wheels, suspension and body but to date I'm just blogging on the engine. A friend told me to do the body moulds first and sell panels to fund the project, but the engine came up for sale and so this became step 1 (heart over head as usual with anything Alfa).

Lionel, that would be great but I think we saw the same Colotti unit and they are rare as hen's teeth and priced accordingly. Hewland would be good but price is also high for this kind of project. I'm going to settle for a modern 6 speed transaxle, it won't be straight cut because the price is X10 so maybe an upgrade for the future.

My main thought on my original question is whether I can adapt an audi quattro transaxle to include this feature on the rear end of the original gearbox.

Thanks for your thoughts...
Paul,

I will have to ask my mechanic more specifically about that. He was the one that suggested that I use the Porsche transaxle unit as supposed to the Coletti unit due to price and scarcity. He also pointed out that the Porsche unit can be modified with inboard brakes as the coletti unit.

Thus far, I know there are two people currently working on Stradale projects. One is Peter Monk in Johannesburg South Africa which I have been in contact with. I have been lucky enough to have a local friend with family in Johannesburg and was able to see Peter's project first hand on my behalf. Peter still a year out of a final product. His specific project is currently being build out of fibre glass with an assortment of different manufactures of car parts. Not what I would particularly would be interested.

Additionally, there is another person in Italy by the name of Christian who claims to have made five of these models thus far. He is currently offering a complete car as the original stradale for about $260,000 plus US. The car is being offered without engine and transaxle. This clearly confirms that the supply for a V8 engine and transaxle has dried out altogether. I find it too pricy without the V8 powered engine with the Coletti transaxle (my take).

I have been exploring making this car in aluminum body with an Alfa Romeo 164LS 24V engine with a Porsche 944/ or 50GT transaxle. In order to make it available below the price of the Italian sample. At this time, Research is ongoing and I will evaluate the possibilities and general public acceptance. Here are some photos from Christian tipo 33 Stradale

Meantime, I will focus in offering Metal fabrication and metal restoration.

Lionel
Attached Images
    
Lionel Velez is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 06:24 PM
PSk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tauranga New Zealand
Posts: 11,551
Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Do I see a 250 SWB being created in the background ... another 250 GT 2+2 lost to the world I assume .

And I have no idea what the thing at the end of the Colotti gearbox is. I though have been unable to find a clear photo.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSk is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: AUSTRALIA
Posts: 496
Garage
The rotating 'thing' on the rear of the Colotti is a donut/guibo rubber joint as on the rear of a 105 series gearbox. The drive comes down an internal small solid shaft, thru the donut connection then back via a hollow shaft into the gearset inside. Crankshaft harmonic damping I'm guessing.
The Italian 33 Stadale replicas are pretty much that; a virtual exact copy of the originals, made with the same huge cast (alluminium not magnesium) bulkheads front and rear and the pontoon fuel tanks connecting them. Also all the suspension parts are made from patterns and jigs from originals pieces. Body is aluminium in the superleggera form of fabrication. These are definitely no Kit-Car type 'relplica' but a very genuine replication and that is reflected in the price.
I know 2 people who have been there in recent months and they report this is a VERY different scene to the endless types of "Cobra" and "GT40" "replica" dross that seem to inhabit every corner of the kit-car industry.
vsharp is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 09:47 PM
PSk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tauranga New Zealand
Posts: 11,551
Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsharp View Post
The rotating 'thing' on the rear of the Colotti is a donut/guibo rubber joint as on the rear of a 105 series gearbox. The drive comes down an internal small solid shaft, thru the donut connection then back via a hollow shaft into the gearset inside. Crankshaft harmonic damping I'm guessing.
The Italian 33 Stadale replicas are pretty much that; a virtual exact copy of the originals, made with the same huge cast (alluminium not magnesium) bulkheads front and rear and the pontoon fuel tanks connecting them. Also all the suspension parts are made from patterns and jigs from originals pieces. Body is aluminium in the superleggera form of fabrication. These are definitely no Kit-Car type 'relplica' but a very genuine replication and that is reflected in the price.
I know 2 people who have been there in recent months and they report this is a VERY different scene to the endless types of "Cobra" and "GT40" "replica" dross that seem to inhabit every corner of the kit-car industry.
Wouldn't the Italian 33 replicas be foul of the Italian law in regards to fakes and copies. Already Maseratis have been crushed ...

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSk is offline  
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 11:35 PM
Registered User
 
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: London UK
Posts: 5,963
Wow, what a project. I'm guessing that Montreal V8 engines are drying up even in Europe, though?

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to all parts I have advertised on the BB so far. Plenty more! Just ask.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Alex is offline  
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South UK
Posts: 29
Thanks for all the comments and advice guys.

Hi vsharp, so the spinning feature that you see through the metalwork on the end of the gearbox is the clutch plate ?

Just a quick update on the build: I've gone for a 5 speed Alfasud transaxle which takes plenty of power and has the inboard discs. Some jiggery-pokery with the clutch/flywheel as usual but we're getting there.

Thanks again.

Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale Replica
ptjeram is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 03:00 PM
PSk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tauranga New Zealand
Posts: 11,551
Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptjeram View Post
Thanks for all the comments and advice guys.

Hi vsharp, so the spinning feature that you see through the metalwork on the end of the gearbox is the clutch plate ?
No as he says its a guibo.
Quote:
Just a quick update on the build: I've gone for a 5 speed Alfasud transaxle which takes plenty of power and has the inboard discs. Some jiggery-pokery with the clutch/flywheel as usual but we're getting there.
Sorry to say this but a Sud gearbox cannot even handle 170hp as I've worn one out.

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSk is offline  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South UK
Posts: 29
So it's a giubo. Can anyone tell me what is the actuating arm that enters from the right side and how is it controlled ?

I've posted in my blog a picture, just to confirm exactly which parts I'm referring to.

Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale Replica: Colotti Question: Can you help......

PSk, I was surprised to learn that some 33 and Sud racers regularly run 200-300 brake through a standard Sud transaxle without issue. Of course there will be some failures even at standard levels of power and torque. My final vehicle will be very light and only about 200 brake so I'm happy with that.

Thanks for comments.

Paul.
ptjeram is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 01:28 PM
PSk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tauranga New Zealand
Posts: 11,551
Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptjeram View Post
So it's a giubo. Can anyone tell me what is the actuating arm that enters from the right side and how is it controlled ?
I don't think that's an actuating arm but a casting to maybe hold a bearing.
Quote:
PSk, I was surprised to learn that some 33 and Sud racers regularly run 200-300 brake through a standard Sud transaxle without issue. Of course there will be some failures even at standard levels of power and torque. My final vehicle will be very light and only about 200 brake so I'm happy with that.

Thanks for comments.

Paul.
The clutch is definitely weak and could have exaggerated my gearbox issues as within a couple of laps I was changing gear without a clutch ...

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSk is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome