Montreal modification - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Montreal modification

Just though I'd post some pictures of my montreal modifications. I am trying to get done for the monterey weekend. The engine is a 2mm overbore w/ 10.5 to 1 pistons and custom 11mm cams. My titanium valve spring retainers and bored out throttle bodies w/ profiled shafts. I love Spica systems, but having tried to tune a few Montreals to run great and not smell like a refinery, It seems the 3D fuel cams were not dialed in by the factory for the Montreal's. Rather than work and rework the cam in the pump to be right, I'm going with an electronic F.I.

The trans is getting a .79 fifth gear set insead of the .87 stock, to get a little nicer cruising range and drilled and back-cut 1st, rev. on the main and 5th and 4th from the cluster shaft. Hopefully we can get some good Montreal posts coming in, usually nothing happens in this little spot.
Attached Images

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Here is the mockup for making fuel rails, heads had the old Spica injector holes step bored for bosch elec. injectors. Stock air cleaner still fits on top.
Attached Images

Larry
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 04:04 PM

Monty Mods

It is a long way down the injector inlet and you will find the injectors will wet the sides and will effect the spray pattern a little. (we tested this mounting location) Also you can use the Mercedes 190E 2.3 16v cam buckets which fit with no modifications, are heaps lighter and made of better material which will match you new retainers nicely. What pistons/brand did you use? are they an off the shelf item or did you have them made?

How much bigger did you machine the throttle bodies? I went to 40mm which gets thin in places but I believe made all the difference. It looks like you are using some old milano injectors, which are ok to get you started but aren't quite big enough and you will have to have your fuel pressure wound up to 70psi to get enough fuel for the top end. If you are going to all this trouble contact Summit Motor sports and get a set of matched Bosch - Ford Motorsport injectors. (I can give you the part number) which will run at a more respectable 40-45psi. They are very reasonable for a set of being around $225 from memory.

I too wanted to run the standard air box to retain the classic looks under the hood, but found it necessary to enlarge the 2 main air inlets as it was causing a restriction causing a loss of power. (I'm not sure you can tell from the picture)

Where are you mounting your crank sensor? I found it the place with the most room to be on the front pulley... see picture.

Best of luck with your conversion.
Phil.

Here is a picture of my setup.... And yes I'm trying to get a black dizzy cap from MSD, the bright red one looks out of place.
Attached Images

1975 Montreal - Race prepared... Mean and Green.
1999 166 3.0 V6 - Daily Driver, 1989 75 2.0 TS Turbo IMSA project car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

These are 164 Motronic injectors that have a 15 deg. included angle and spray fine in the well, I was also concerned at first. They are sufficent for 500cc per hole, @ 40-45 psi and I am only at 350cc per hole. I will see when the car hits the dyno, but since I have dozens of these injectors at the shop, hopefully they do the trick. It will probably see an 8000 redline unless these cams can do more but I expect the peak at 7000-7200. The openings into the ports are flared a bit since those pictures. The pistons are custom JE units and pins, lighter than stock pistons. I am using a distributorless system, with a similar custom crank angle sensor as yours. It's good to see another person who is willing to push their Montreal, especially since they are so underappreciated, lets keep the secret alive.
Attached Images

Larry
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 07:03 AM

Very impressive!

83' Giulietta 116 ,3.0 moving parts
3.3 24v TT 68mm stroke,fuel surge tank,aqusump
Collotti Straight cut Milano box set
haltech E6k management,RTC,166 Big Brakes &outboards rears,IntegraleE2 wheels,power steering,AC
Daily driver
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode