Torsion bars wanted - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AlfredBauer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Torsion bars wanted

I need 2 new torsion bars for my 1948 Alfa 6C 2500SS Touring coupe. Does anyone know a source to obtain new ones? Apparently the original ones are made of weak material since one of mine broke sitting in the restoration shop.
Fred Puhn
425 Shell Ave., National City, CA 91950 USA
(619)475-1155
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 02:50 AM

There is a set of new ones being offered by italparts.com. No price or exact specification given, but maybe it´s worth a try.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

I have placed an order for new torsion bars from a vendor in California. Does anyone know what was the original paint color on the torsion bars for a 6C2500SS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 04:50 AM

I think the torsion bars had the same colour as the rest of the chassis and axle parts, and this again depends on the age of your car. The earlier ones and prewar 6Cs were grey, the later ones tended to be black from underneath. I have also seen different shades of original grey chassis paint on 6C restoration projects, so I guess the exact colour varied over the production run. Do you have RAL colour charts in the US or is this system uncommon there? What year is your car?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

My car was built in 1948.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 02:47 AM

I had more than 20 different 6C 2500 passing through our workshop over the past 10 years, but I am still not sure when the colour of the chassis parts switched from grey to black. Judging from the unrestored cars I have seen, I guess it was somewhere between late 1947 and 1948, but I might be wrong. Many restored cars from a later production date have now grey chassis, just because it looks cleaner and friendlier, but the cars I have seen in unrestored condition were mostly black underneath with a grey engine bay. I tried to find chassis parts on the grey cars which had not been exposed to sunlight (like attaching parts where something was bolted on) and tried to find an exact matching colour. I turned out that the type of grey varied quite a lot, with the green hue being more or less dominant from car to car. I have a feeling that back then they were just changing the shade of the colour when the bucket was empty...

After comparing with other cars and simply judging from a personal taste of what looks right, I would say that RAL 7033 "Zementgrau" is a very attractive match. I is a sort of green-grey, just lively enough not to look dull. And, furthermore, since it has been used on many restorations, it has become original now...;-)

But maybe someone else can join in and give a more substantiated opinion. Mine just comes from what I could take from restoration projects. Someone else might possibly have access to some factory records.
Zinhead likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode