Shipping from UK to USA - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tenerific

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Shipping from UK to USA

So, in a twist of fate, I have a car I need to get from Aberdeen, Scotland to the east coast of the USA.

Never done this before so am looking for suggestions from the community! The good thing is I have until April to make this happen ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 12:51 AM

Shipping from UK to USA

Safe to assume you are "importing" this car to the U.S. (buying the car in the UK, bringing to the U.S. and transferring a non-U.S. title to your name here in the U.S.)? If so, what year make is the car? It will have a big difference on how easy/hard this is going to be. If it is more than 25 years old, you're in pretty good shape as long as the car isn't going to be titled in CA right away.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 08:38 AM

The first thing you should do is make a call to the US Customs office in the port you intend to ship to. Do this even if you're still in the UK. I've always found the local offices to be helpful and it's in your interest for them to get to know you or at least know who you are before your car arrives. When I brought my Super in, I'd talked to the Customs office so many times, they all remembered me. They also told me how much they appreciated me going to the effort of making sure I had all the paperwork in order. If you can help them do their job, they're happy. Alternatively, you can hire a customs broker to to the work for you.

If your car is less than 25 years old, don't bring it in.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:31 AM

Don't bring it in if less than 25 years old...

Echo 180OUT's last sentence... if it is less than 25 years old don't bother attempting to bring it in.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, it's from 1957 so no worries on the 25 years.

Is it worth it in everyone's estimation to hire a broker?
triz likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenerific View Post
Yeah, it's from 1957 so no worries on the 25 years.

Is it worth it in everyone's estimation to hire a broker?
I would say Yes. It streamlines the process and takes a lot of headache out the way.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:37 PM

I've done it both ways. If you have time, your local Customs office will walk you through the process. Hiring a broker won't be very expensive and can be a useful convenience. The broker will handle all the paperwork and all you have to do is pay duty (if any) and collect your car. One thing you should do regardless of how you ship your car: be sure and purchase separate shipping insurance.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:52 PM

I’ve recently shipped a car from Hamburg to Oakland, California (USA). I used a company called COSDEL, for the shipping - I would recommend them. This is the only experience I have of shipping a car and I’m sure it varies depending on which state in America you ship to....so bare that in mind but this is what I’d say about the experience :

- I was advised (by a friend) to let a company, in my case COSDEL, deal with all the import issues/paperwork. This was money well spent IMO...the car was delivered to a warehouse in Hamburg...it then arrived in Oakland. It was completely transparent and seamless....they then provided me with all the necessary completed customs forms. The car arrived unscathed and none the worse for the experience. It took about 5 weeks to get to Ca. going via the Panama Canal. Your journey will be easier.
- you will most likely pay an import duty on the car (around 2% of its value) when you bring it into the USA.
- if the car is over 50 years old you do not have to worry about emissions. It’s way easier.
- once the car is in the USA you have to get a “title” for the car and register it. In order to register it you will need to take the car to the DMV (Dept of motor vehicles). They will inspect it and verify VIN etc....this is fairly simple. What they’re most interested in is the completed customs forms and the original title document (in your case the UK title). They will want to keep that to show that you actually own the car...
In my case they weren’t interested in the receipt for purchasing vehicle or anything else...just title and custom forms.
- depending on the State you register car in you will have to pay State tax on the vehicle. In California that’s close to 9%. I had a receipt for the purchase so showing value of the car was not complicated....if you’ve owned the car for a long time and are just importing it, I’m not sure how that calculation works...
- I insured the car with HAGERTY to cover during shipping period. It was cheaper than the insurnace the shipping company offered.
- the DMV wanted to know how long I had been resident in Ca. I don’t know what implications that might have had...I’ve been resident in Ca for almost 30’years so it was a non-issue.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode