Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1986 gtv6 no Ac

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Sekal1978 
#1 ·
Question for the group. Recently got one 1986 gtv6. Everything works but the Ac. Compressor works fan works blower works and I can actually see the gas on that little bubble on that black part going through. So what the hell? Runned it for 10 miles and nothing. No cold at all.

#2 ·
Did you have the refrigerant charged (filled up)? I assume the original refrigerant was R12 - NLA. The most common currently available refrigerant is R134. But R134 is not as efficient as the old R12. New cars (that use R134) have systems designed with that in mind.

I had our GTV6 changed to use R134. The system is evacuated and R134 compatible oil is added and the dryer is replaced. It works OK but it's not freezing cold by modern car standards.

#7 ·
After reading some posts I got more confused. Apparently first gtv6 models are freon R12, and the last model was with the R134a. Either I read wrong or I don't know what to do.
How can I identify older systems to new ones? Is there any visual difference?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.