164 AC quit working - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy 164 AC quit working

The AC stopped working on my 92 164. The fuse for the blower is good. I am not getting electrical power to the compressor. I'm thinking a relay has malfunctioned. I have know idea where it is located on the car. I'm missing something somewhere. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 03:23 AM

You won't get power to the compressor if the pressure in the system is to low. Have you checked how much pressure you have?

Red 1991 164S, Black 1991 164S, Red 1987 Milano, 1972 Berlina, 1973 Berlina rebuilding SPICA engine
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you Richard. I checked the pressure and it was low. tried to fill but it would not take the gas for some reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
There must be something wrong with my dispenser hose. maybe?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 11:16 AM
Gold Subscriber

check ur low pressure switch on accumulator ,if its bad the compressor will not start or go on and off continuously ,also u can test the switch with a jumper wire to se if compressor starts up

Ben Serpico. 74 gtv 75 alfetta 76 gtv
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 01:28 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
On the USA spec 164 the blower motor 12v 40A fuse bar is located on back of false firewall directly behind the engine cooling fan 40A fuse bar.

The actual A/C control system 10A fuse F12 is far right fuse position 18 in third row down in main fuse box. It sends power with key on to energizing pins 86 of both a/c compressor clutch relay and blower motor relay.

So blower motor will run even though if Freon level low (25-29 psi) BUT compressor clutch will not get power from compressor relay located behind speedo cluster in dash.

That relay hardly ever goes bad. To test relay and see if compressor clutch will engage even if Freon level to low you need to locate pressure switch on receiver dryer black cylinder on top of evaporator box behind false firewall. Locate RED two-wire connector on pressure switch with key on ground green-blackk wire in red coinnector to chassis ground and see if relay clicks in dash and compressor clutch engages if so you need to put a/c gauge set low (blue if converted to R134a) hose on low pressure service fitting on long silver cartridge in front of engine and see what the pressure is and if lower than about 25-29 psi compressor clutch relay will not be grounded to engage clutch.

See this post on HVAC gauges: https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/7758746-post105.html

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 07-14-2018 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode