Removing Alfetta GT heater/AC box - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Removing Alfetta GT heater/AC box

Hi All,

I have a 1978 Alfetta GT in which the heat/AC is non-op. Fan blows, but directional controls don't work and the hoses to connect to the dash vents are petrified and cracked out. So, I need to remove the unit and rehab everything.

Can I remove this without removing the dash? If so how? Where are the tricky bits? At present I have the rest of the interior stripped out so access is no problem. Any info is helpful and appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 08:29 AM

My experience is that the dash needs to come out. No big deal with the Alfetta GT. 4 screws hold it in. 2 thru the defroster vents, 2 on each side footwell. I can't remember what electric connections there are beside the tach and the instrument cluster connections. I have added several electric things like a starter button, voltmeter, and something else.
Removal is a little easier with the steering wheel removed, as well as a 2nd set of hands to steady it as you slide it up and out. But 1 person with steady hands can do it. Installation really needs a second person.
The HVAC/heater box is bolted to the firewall and access is blocked by the dash. You may find that some of the box may have broken plastic tabs so that it is actually held in by 3 instead of 4 screws. I just made a metal flange/long skinny washer to make up for it.
In case you need AC connections replaced or whatever, having the dash out will make your HVAC shop happier if you deliver the car without the dash, just the heater/HVAC box installed. I just hung the instrument cluster in place for this.
Good luck,

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode