MODERN A.C. in an OLD ALFA (Part 3) - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 06:11 PM
Gold Subscriber

I think this is what you are referring to - its the fast idle solenoid. Not the most sophisticated solution.

The trick would be how quick and timely the solenoid pushes and retracts - too soon, too late, or too slow, would cause issues.

I for one just use the hand throttle - it works fine.

Name:  Fast Idle Control - Copy.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  106.0 KB

Last edited by WA-Alfa; 10-27-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 05:46 AM

Yes some sort of solenoid that act directly on the throttle shaft lever would work.

All linkages that go to the throttle shaft and the play in them seem to make it hard to use the hand throttle to keep the car at say a steady 1500 rpm.

Seems to not hold the revs and slowly reverts back so if you have made the hand throttle keep the revs at a steady speed please let us know what you did.

If there are 116 owners with fast idle set ups it would be great to get some pictures to see what has been done to help with ac idle speed.....thanks in advance.

Tim
1975 105 GTV 2000
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 06:36 AM
Gold Subscriber

The ideal solution would be to have a bluetooth distributor that could be programed to keep the idle at 900 rpm. If a 123 could do that I would buy one.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 09:17 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Jason Arrington wrote up putting AC in a Giulia Super a few years ago. I have the document it in a Berlina Register newsletter if anyone's interested.
Andrew
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Jason Arrington wrote up putting AC in a Giulia Super a few years ago. I have the document it in a Berlina Register newsletter if anyone's interested.
Andrew
I'm interested!

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 07:34 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Andrew
I'd be very interested in seeing that as well, if you have it scanned in...

1968 Euro-spec 1750 GTV (under restoration)
1973 2000 Spider
1979 Alfetta Sprint Veloce
2017 Giulia ti Q4
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

PROBLEM SOLVED! My problem was the A/C compressor would drag the engine idle speed down to stalling when the clutch clicked on. I installed a momentary switch that disconnects power to the compressor releasing the clutch when the throttle is released and drops to idle. It works very well. The switch is a push button that is NORMALLY ON. These are hard to find, as most momentary switches are NORMALLY OFF. I finally found one at Ace Hardware, their p/n 3023728 which doesn't seem to be carried in the stores anymore, but I located one on Ebay. I mounted this switch on an L-shaped bracket I made that mounts under the two throttle limit screws right beside the throttle bellcrank. The push button on the switch is depressed by the outer arm of the bellcrank (the arm that holds one end of the throttle return spring). I tried once before to post pictures, but without success. I'll try here again today. Anyhow, first the SPICA must be adjusted correctly, that is, the reference measurement must be .019" and the engine at 175-180F when you adjust the switch position. That's because the angle position of the bellcrank will change between hot and cold coolant. Any bracket you make, or switch that you use must be capable of some distance adjustment so it works properly when the engine is hot (after all, you will want the A/C in hot weather, yes?). I don't care if the switch doesn't work right when I first start the engine.

(OK, no luck in Drag and Drop. Either I'm doing it wrong or I have the wrong Vs. of Windows. I can email pictures to anyone interested.)
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 05:57 AM
Gold Subscriber

When I drag a file to the dotted line box below the outline turns to green and then I see a thumbnail of the photo in the box. I usually end up bold text, Attached Images. Let's see what happens now. That's weird the first time I did it only the text showed. I went back and did an edit on the post and then when I clicked "save" the image showed up.
Attached Images

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider

Last edited by gigem75; 12-24-2017 at 06:00 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode