"I've made a terrible mistake" - advice? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

"I've made a terrible mistake" - advice?

Finally getting my system all buttoned down, I hooked up the vacuum to see what's what. It wouldn't hold, so I start checking o-rings and fittings.

It turns out I cross-threaded the low side port on the compressor.

I had to get a new hose made so the charge port was accessible (the lower mounting angle, with the distributor and exhaust manifold make the original setup impossible). The angle wasn't perfectly aligned and I managed to thread it down about halfway before getting jammed. I thought it was seated.

I'm going to pull the compressor (yay!) and see if I can maybe repair the threads, being the material is quite soft. Since the seal comes from the o-ring then I don't think it'll matter if it's slightly off, a long as it provides the pressure. Right? I was able to fix some threads with a fine file and a Dremel wire wheel on a poorly cast port on my new condenser, and it's doing alright.

The I plan to attach that new hose on the bench and install it as a unit.

Fingers crossed, but any advice from the pros?

as good as a car can be... briefly.
'82 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 08:44 AM

Garage
It's probably not fatal. Your repair approach sounds OK. Worse come to worse you've always got JB Weld!

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
Director, Alabama Branch, Scuderia Non Originale
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 09:07 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Should be fine. At worst, you can just replace the compressor head with a salvage part on the cheap. Someone on the BB I'm sure probably has a junk compressor sitting around.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

AC work is the pits, by the way. If I'd believed everyone when they said it was more of a headache than you'd ever expect, I'd have just opted to remain hot!

'82 GTV6
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I dunno. I don't think A/C work is that bad. Any connection can be cross-threaded and buggered. There's enough good info on the BB here to make even an in-depth system repair a lot easier. The key is to go slow, know what you're doing and why, and don't put questionable parts back into the system.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Since I'm retrofitting mine with no-standard parts, it's been a lot of guesswork regarding hose length and fitting angles, coercing the condenser to fit, etc. And it seems no one does this retro for the GTV6 the same way, being that parts availability is so off the wall. It's not been the hardest job I've done, but it's been frustrating, and my hands are beat to a pulp from working in highly confined spaces.

*whine*

Mostly it's just frustrating that I only get a couple of hours a week, and none of it consistent, before I'm getting yelled at. Honestly, I don't know if I can realistically keep up with this car now that I have kids. If something major happened, I'd just be up a creek.

*grumble moan*

'82 GTV6
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 04:38 PM

sory to learn of this, chair. mangles/cross threaded- wow- gotta be careful in future, right? Good luck man. Ac work can be a pain IF youre talking about removing evap, otjherwise, it is really cool stuff!! I like chemicals!!

87 spider veloce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode