Retrofitting the system - Flushing, etc. - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Question - should I just pull the 90 degree fittings off the old York compressor and reuse them with the Sanden? The compressor has charging ports already, so it really doesn't seem to matter if the fittings are Schrader or not. Unless there's some arcane magic I'm not aware of. Otherwise I could have new hoses made with the 90 degree fitting on the compressor end. No luck finding compressor fittings without any charge ports at all.
Does that make any sense?

as good as a car can be... briefly.
'82 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 03:04 AM

Assuming you are going with 134a you are going to need to have 134a specific fittings on the compressor which I'm going to assume are what is on the new one already. The ones one your old compressor are probably the R12 ones which are not the same.

There are all sorts of different 134a fittings out there (straight, 90, 45 etc.), it is pretty tight in there when trying to top off so, if needed, put the fitting type that makes it easiest to reach in there and hook up (probably only need to worry about the low/blue) to top off.

Kevin

Currently Alfaless. Ex: 87 Verde, 86 GTV6, 67 Super, 86 Spider, 88 LeMons Verde
Milano registry custodian(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

I guess what I'm asking is, in order to get the compressor hoses to fit under hood, do I need to get a 90-degree adapter to go between the compressor and the hose, or would I be better off having new hoses made with a 90-degree bend at the compressor fitting?

Here's basically the compressor I got. Note the service ports integrated into the body, rather than the fittings.

The original York setup has fittings attached to the compressor body that output at 90-degrees (horizontally). Were I to use the same hoses, then I'd be bending them considerably to reach the now vertically oriented fittings. I'm thinking new hoses might not be the worst idea at this point anyway, as the condenser fittings are heavily corroded with quite a bit of flaky rust. No debris in the actual hoses, but the fittings are craptastic. I did the math and no way can I afford the E-Z Clip stuff right now.

'82 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

One more question - I'm essentially copying another member's setup. He has 90-degree fittings withOUT charge ports, and the exact same compressor as mine. I just can't find any fittings locally or even online. Would there be any harm in using fittings with integrated charge ports, even though they'd be redundant? Here's a link to his setup in a thread on the GTV6 forum.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfe...ml#post5556218

'82 GTV6
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 02:56 PM

I don't know why it would matter. What is he doing to be able to charge the system?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

I assume he's just using the integrated ports on the compressor? They're standard Schrader valves, one bigger than the other. I suppose adding valves just increases the possibility of a leak. I'm going to a specialty shop here in town tomorrow. Maybe they can offer a solution. I'm learning a lot, but still have a million questions.

'82 GTV6
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 03:37 PM

I'm not sure leaving just with generic schrader valves is legal, best to ask the shop guy.

)
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Ugh. The shop wanted almost $400 to make new hoses.Which is about the same as ordering all of the EZ Clip components I need and doing it myself.

The hoses are actually fine, it's just the fittings that attach to the condenser that are giving me pause. The finish is worn off and there was a bit of rust inside and out, presumably from the crapped out condenser. I cleaned it all off with wire wheel, wire brush, and some fine steel wool, and might try some pickling agent too. If there's no air in the system once it's charged, there's no way for additional corrosion to occur, right? Am I being too cheap, or should these hoses actually be OK after a bit of TLC and some new o-rings?

'82 GTV6
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 03:34 PM

They should be fine, the only diff is that you might have to charge it up every year or two as the 134 will probably slowly leak out through the hose walls. Just drove my Verde home in nasty traffic and fairly hot only to find out my AC needs a recharge :-(.

Of course I would pull a vacuum with them on and let it sit for a while to make sure there aren't any real leaks before putting the 134 in.

Kevin

)
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

I spent some time last night thoroughly cleaning crud from the fittings, then soaked them with some paint-safe rust remover/inhibitor. I also have some leftover pickling fluid from my bodywork. It doesn't leave any residue, so maybe after I flush everything one more time (and maybe just soak in the solvent), it'll be fine. Still waiting for the compressor bracket to show up, anyway. Maybe this weekend I can get it all hooked up. My neighbor has a set of manifold gauges and a vacuum pump, so that's covered.

'82 GTV6
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 01:03 PM

Like I said in my post, and encourage you again- reuse the original hoses for that steep price. Try it, nothing to loose but some time. new o rings. pull a high vac, but don't take comfort into knowing that's the 100% test, as again, like I said, a vac is not a sure fire leak test. Even with a tiny leak, $400 will buy loads of r134a. or es12.

87 spider veloce
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 10:31 AM

I was wondering where you bought your new o-rings. Variety pack from local auto parts, Grainger,? I'm working on my 164 and trying to get all my parts lined up.
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

I just got a couple of variety packs of BUNA rings from AutoZone. About $4 each, but still cheaper than buying the industrial packs of the three sizes I need. My dryer came with rings, as did the compressor fittings, so I only needed six total.

'82 GTV6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode