Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   HVAC (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/hvac/)
-   -   Heater hose questions (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/hvac/275209-heater-hose-questions.html)

tirefriar 12-25-2013 01:23 PM

Heater hose questions

The car in question is a 69 Berlina with a 2l w/SPICA from a 79 Spider. the heater hose from the pump to the heater box needs replacing. So 2 questions:
1) what is the proper routing for this hose? - when I removed the air box I found it "resting" on the rt frame rail on top of the fuel lines and next to SPICA. Upon examination I found wear normally caused by rubbing.
2) can someone recommend a good quality product for replacement - I don't want to do this twice. I thought perphasps steel braiding would be cool... Or am I just over thinking this? Any thoughts?

Jim G 12-25-2013 02:07 PM

The hose from the heater box to the pump is just a plain straight hose. 5/8" sticks in my mind but I'm not positive. The other one is the molded one that you pretty much have to pull the heater box to replace. The routing is up the rt frame rail and through the firewall. You should have several metal tabs that the factory welded on to hold it in place. I would just use a good quality brand name hose like gates or napa.

tirefriar 12-25-2013 03:49 PM

This the one that disconnects from the heater box by clamps and just pulls throught the firewall I already have it out. Will hit napa tomorrow. Also will be checking for retainer tabs. Thanks

Alfa69GTV1750 12-25-2013 04:51 PM

The hose size is metric. A US size will be very difficult to seal. I ended up with slight weeping which ended up coating the inside of the windshield with coolant.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

tirefriar 12-25-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa69GTV1750 (Post 5060713)
The hose size is metric. A US size will be very difficult to seal. I ended up with slight weeping which ended up coating the inside of the windshield with coolant.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

So what's the Metric size? The hose is not original and markings area hard to read. Each end is held in place with a regular clamp. Like to swap those as well. There are several part stores catering to euro car market.

Luscombe1940 12-25-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tirefriar (Post 5060729)
So what's the Metric size? The hose is not original and markings area hard to read. Each end is held in place with a regular clamp. Like to swap those as well. There are several part stores catering to euro car market.

I presume you are talking about the hose that routes to the passenger side of the heater box.

Give CL a call and talk to Ian or Joe. You can buy this hose by the foot. It is metric but don't remember the size. The oem has a braided cover and fits through the firewall easily if you lube it with dish soap or 409.

I just did this on my Spider. The routing is as noted above.

tirefriar 12-25-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luscombe1940 (Post 5060753)
I presume you are talking about the hose that routes to the passenger side of the heater box.

Give CL a call and talk to Ian or Joe. You can buy this hose by the foot. It is metric but don't remember the size. The oem has a braided cover and fits through the firewall easily if you lube it with dish soap or 409.

I just did this on my Spider. The routing is as noted above.

Thanks Gary. By CL do you mean classic Alfa? The removal was not difficult at all.

ghnl 12-25-2013 06:39 PM

My guess is that CL = CenterLine Alfa. Whenever I have called them I always talk with someone who seems to know what they're talking about. i.e. not just order-takers.

Luscombe1940 12-25-2013 07:32 PM

Tirefriar,
CL=Centerline
Joe or Ian are very helpful and know what they are talking about. Ask for one of them. I think the hose you need is the same as the one on the Spider.
It's an easy install, I cut a bevel on the end of the hose to thread it through the new rubber grommet I installed in the firewall. Others use piece of coat hanger to feed it and pull it through the grommet.

papajam 12-26-2013 04:22 AM

Heater return hose size is 12mm (although 1/2" will work too).

Philip.Perry 05-21-2019 05:08 PM

Centerline has the 12 mm sold by the foot