New compressor leaking shaft seals - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 05:51 AM

Interestingly your "original" compressor had extra service fittings simliar to this one:

Alfa Romeo Honda A/C Compressor - DSN078012L | DiscountAutoAC-CompressorParts.com

I have also found rebuilt compressors on ebay for $100. I am a bit skeptic of the price, as most go for about $200. But maybe not so much since these compressors appear to be very common and also fit Saab Mazda Renault Dodge and Plymouth vehicles of the same era.

I am also in the process of rebuilding my AC (along with other stuff.) I have built AC systems in my classic Range Rovers, replacing basically everything but the evaporator and condensor, including having new hoses built locally. Both the condensor and evaporator were thoroughly flushed using a flushing solvent and AC flush tool using compressed air.

Larry M.
'89 Spider Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Just be sure that the S and D fittings are flare-type. The one that IAP sells for my car had the wrong fittings. I'm not sure why. Maybe I have European or Canadian model. Of course yours may be different from mine.

Also I have found it very difficult to find a new or remanufactured unit. And no one seems to be interested in rebuilding my unit.

Since I mostly only drive it in dry weather and usually with the top down (in warmer temps), my motivation to again remove radiator and replace defunct unit has diminished greatly. I'm sure I'll eventually get around to it however.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Warren
Attached Images

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Rover View Post
Interestingly your "original" compressor had extra service fittings simliar to this one:

Alfa Romeo Honda A/C Compressor - DSN078012L | DiscountAutoAC-CompressorParts.com

I have also found rebuilt compressors on ebay for $100. I am a bit skeptic of the price, as most go for about $200. But maybe not so much since these compressors appear to be very common and also fit Saab Mazda Renault Dodge and Plymouth vehicles of the same era.

I am also in the process of rebuilding my AC (along with other stuff.) I have built AC systems in my classic Range Rovers, replacing basically everything but the evaporator and condensor, including having new hoses built locally. Both the condensor and evaporator were thoroughly flushed using a flushing solvent and AC flush tool using compressed air.
just a tip- beware of the practice of "flushing" condensers " and expecting them to truly be clean/flushed.

87 spider veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 07:41 AM

I assume you are refering to the fact it is difficult to completely flush the condensor when it is a parallel system. True. I hope that after all these years the oil has made it's way to the bottom and a flush will remove most of it. It is the oil I am most intersted in removing. So far I have not seen any evendince of any major contaminents, or signs of black death.

I am always interested to hear that many people (including shops) have successfully converted from R-12 to R-134a simply by changning the drier/fittings, pulling a vaccuum and charging with refrigerant/oil.

Larry

Larry M.
'89 Spider Veloce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode