86 Alfa Spider A/C fan - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 05:34 PM

Oh, and not to worry about wasting part 12 oz cans if youre talking about HC's, as theyre sooooo cheap. Cant even compare. Also, if "wasted" no harm to environment, so one's conscience is clear. Also, no expensive evacuation tools/vacuum pumps. No worry about incompatable oil too.

Just info, thats all. I think you got the system all OK now, Tro.

87 spider veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojwl View Post
I cleaned the socket for the 20 amp fuse on the left inner fender.
I gained another half volt with fans running just by doing this.
I think I've addressed every connection in system.
Life is good.
Dont forget- the real test for your elec system will be when you start the car with ac on, radio on, and no hesitation with starter. If so, repeatedly, you dont need the upgrade alternator.......

man, good luck.

87 spider veloce
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

The way I see it, the manufacturers also charge their new cars by weight. And darn near every one is like a refrigerator. And I can't argue with success.

As for troubleshooting. I spent thirty two years working in large power generating stations in the process instrumentation and controls area. There were times when you were literally under the gun as minutes were literally thousands of dollars until you fixed it.

Needless to say, I have seen and learned a lot in my area and from other crafts. And it was fun!

Later guys,

Warren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Cool Using gauges and bubbles

I've never had a whole lot of luck with using gauges. You have to have accurate ambient RH and temperature. And then you have to do it with the car standing still (not much air flow through condenser). And then you need an accurate thermometer to measure air temp coming out of the vents.

And as far as the sightglasses go, never had much success there either. Do you stop when you see a few bubbles, no bubbles, etc? What's the ideal "bubble rate"?

I'm sure if you are good enough, you can get the amount of charge reasonably close.

With the scale, there's no guesswork involved. I feel like I'm doing it to "factory spec" more or less. And it is not a weather-sensitive process.

Have a great day sir,
Warren
Attached Images

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 03:23 PM

OK, Warren. Looks like you got it under control. Now, dont forget- let us know is the car starts OK with the ac on (youcant tell with only 1 or 2 starts- have to do this over a week or 2- dont let the alfa fool you like it has foled me a few times). That way, no need for the new alternator, right?

Sr.

87 spider veloce
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 03:24 PM

Geez, warren, that car is so nice- bright red- at least, in the picture. Keep it out of the sun.

87 spider veloce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode