Anyone install UV ray film on their windshield? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Anyone install UV ray film on their windshield?

That's pretty much it. I also have a myriad of mostly small pits in my NLA early Alfetta GT windshield and wondered if the film might help minimize their 'sparkle' when driving into the sun.

Biba

AlfaCyberSite.com
BibaRestorations.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:30 PM

Garage
I would be surprised if the state of Cal. would let you do that. I know in Florida you can not do that, except a small strip on top. All my other cars I have it on side and back windows. On the back doors and back window you can have it darker than front doors here.

Richard
76 Alfetta GTV gone to rust haven, 89 Spider the red graduate, 86 GTV6 on wish list
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

By chance I went by a window tinting shop after writing the thread and the fellow was fine with installing UV film on the windshield, but since I have a smallish, but deepish pit on the corner of my windshield he wouldn't do it. He pointed out that since the windshield curves both ways he has to use a heat gun on the outside of the windshield for the film to lay flat. It only happened once to him, but a windshield cracked right at the pit of a windshield he was working on.

He also mentioned that the pits would still 'stand out' when driving toward the sun. My idea was to have a fairly light tinted film used. Probably illegal in CA, but most anything modified on a car is illegal.

A Highway Motorcycle once told me that he'd stopped a gal with really dark film on her windshield. He reached over with a coin or(?) and scratched a big chunk of film off and told her, "You can't have that."

Biba

AlfaCyberSite.com
BibaRestorations.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 06:27 AM

Garage
I know the police do not like the real dark limo tint on front windows here, that is a sure ticket. I have been stopped in the Southeast about my rear windows being darker than the front. The only place that is legal is Florida, I know of. I have a sticker on the door jamb saying the Florida Statutes mine is tinted too.

Richard
76 Alfetta GTV gone to rust haven, 89 Spider the red graduate, 86 GTV6 on wish list

Last edited by alfabeach; 10-01-2012 at 07:59 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 12:45 AM

Here it's illegal to tint the windshield and the front side windows. Anything from the B-pillar back is ok...
/Neil

74 GTV
Alcala de Henares, Spain
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:31 PM

Right- illegal.

Story: a year ago, I found a car parked in my yard (a rental property)......yeah, in my driveway!

Tinted black all over like a pimpmobile! I thought "whos the drug dealer"? Called the cops. Cop shows up, and puls out her computer (right, a girl cop, not that theres anything wrong with that). So, she says "looked up that license plate, and theres no data on it anywhere- a mystery. The mystery deepens.

She says I could have it towed. She leaves. I decide to wait. 3 days later, car is still there. I go inside to call the towing Co. I go back outside within 10 minutes, amnd the car is gone! Dissappeared! Then, I notice the car driving into the driveway next door! LOL

I approach the 'drug dealer", and tel him "why was that car parked in a no parking area"? The polite guy explains hes an undercover FBI agent, on vacation (it was a beach rental zone). Thats why, he later explained, the lady cop couldnt find any info on his plate.He was sorry for the mixup as his vacation agent told him my parking area was OK to have car parked in. WRONG.

Tint?? Lady cop told me they stop cars with that tint all the time.

87 spider veloce
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Senior TEXAS member

We are ok here in Texas having rear and back side windows tinted "dark dark" but not front drivers and passengers widows. There is actually a 'legal dark' tint for them and yes we can have an upper windshield dark 'band' as well.
Of course none of these rules is enforced fairly or evenly across the state and one city may crack down on it while another town may smile and ignore it.
If you get stopped on one of the Interstates by the TXDPS, you are sure to get tagged no matter where you are, especially if you have that 'drug dealer black' on your front side windows.
It's really not a matter of dark as much as its UV block that we need here with our Sun...we are, after all, closer to the source!

Get out there and DRIVE !

Bill ("Plays well with others")
1978 Spider Veloce
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Back to the original intent of this thread...I would still like to know if anyone has had their front windshield covered with UV type film.

NOTE: Many of the UV films come in either clear or with a very light tint. Meaning, no one is the wiser, no matter how strict your state's laws and enforcement might be. Keep in mind that the early Alfetta's, for instance, have a bit of a green tint, and the later ones, including GTV6's, have a bronze/brown tint.

I'm going to be installing what is very close to a NOS dash in my Alfetta GT. It has been out of the sun for at the very least 25 or more years and there is not a crack in it. However, it doesn't mean they won't begin to appear once it is installed.

For the past year I've been using the silvered cloth type of windscreen cover that folds up in a fairly small circle - just to get used to using it. But that doesn't help when driving or making fairly short stops along the way.

Biba

AlfaCyberSite.com
BibaRestorations.com
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Platinum Subscriber

"Undercover FBI Agent?" Yea, right. I doubt seriously that a FBI agent is going to identify himself as such without official reason, and for sure not being undercover. Sounds like he needs to be interviewed by the local police. I believe it's illegal to falsely represent yourself as a federal agent.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 04:00 PM

You could be right, Road. Now, I question myself here- I seem to remember that, though. He might have actually said something like "government agent", or federal agent/federal enforcement/I actually dont remember. Thats my fault, but the point/issue to me is the same. he was not a pimp, or a drug dealer. How do I know?? Would a drug dealer or pimp making $2-500,000 a year rent a beach rental that goes for $500 a week????? Cmon.

Those guys vacation in S Beach, or Malibu or......

The guy was married, with kids, vacationing for a week in a lower middle class vacation spot, period. Still, his plate was in cyberspace when the pretty cop checked it out. Not even she could identify it.

He apologized to me for parking on my property. Very gracious. Never met a gracious drug dealer. never met one either way.

87 spider veloce
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 04:02 PM

Still, dark tint is a bad idea.

87 spider veloce
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 07:24 AM
Gold Subscriber

I had everything cept the windscreen tinted and here with Texas summers it's darn near a necessity. To the person on the board who said "don't do it!" my apologies. If I've parked in the shade then it cools down rather quickly but if left in a parking lot all day, yikes! Now I wish I hadn't sold my a/c hose crimping tool. When I switched out motors I had to keep the compressor out of the way by tying it back and that one crimp must have been one of my first because I've got a leak. If I still had the crimping tool I could make a new hose in a new york second. I guess I'll do that but not until my new head is put on. ported by me, and sent it to Austin so it could be taken to a shop that can do Alfa heads in his sleep. Specifically opening up the seats 50 thou and blend the resulting step at the bottom of the seat into the head. I originally had 11mm cams on both sides but this one will have a 12mm on the intake and an 11mm on the exhaust with big valves on intake & exhaust. I want to drive down and get it at the "cars and coffee" so I can meet in person some partners in crime

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
2017 Giulia Q4
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in 2L restored driver
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
1974 GTV
1977 Spider
1974 Spider

Last edited by gigem75; 01-23-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode