87 Spider Quad - A/C Real Weak (Want Strong!) - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

87 Spider Quad - A/C Real Weak (Want Strong!)

Greetings! The A/C on my 87 Spider Quard has been weak since wife got me the car last year. When I turned it on it provided what I would call luke cool air. Well it's 105 degrees here in Sacramento so I though it would be a good idea to get it charged up. Got my mechanic to get some R-12 and the car took 1 lb of the stuff. The A/C now puts out cool air (mech says 50 degrees, but feels like 65) & the blower is a bit weak as well.

Any ideas on how to get a bit more chill out of the A/C. BTW: The A/C unit seems like it in good shape - no noise, no leaks found .... . I was wondering if there something I need to clean out; or do I need to make blower more efficient; or some special spell I need to cast on the car???

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ken B; 08-07-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Had a few more thought to add!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

OK - Well did a lot of reading last night and determined my original post was a bit premature. When its 105 degrees outside it can affect your thinking. I realize that I'm not sure about a few thinks with the A/C.

Does the condensor electric fan work? I don't know - I don't think I've ever heard it - either when the engine compartment was really hot or when A/C was on.

Is the condensor (or radiator for that matter) clear of any rubbish that might limit air flow?

I'll check these out this evening and go from there!

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 10:19 AM

You need to start with high and low pressure readings from a dual guage. Without that, its tough.

Even a visibly dirty condenser should cool somewhat. Clean it up and go from there......

87 spider veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Ensure that the gap between the radiator and the condenser is sealed. You want ALL the air drawn by the fan to come though the condenser and not through the gap.

Consider installing a parallel flow condenser. Industry says they are 30% more efficient than the old fin/tube condensers. However, that does require opening the system and a complete recharge.

Aftermarket AC Condensers - Super Flow, Serpentine and tube and fin

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Papa Sr View Post
You need to start with high and low pressure readings from a dual guage. Without that, its tough.

Even a visibly dirty condenser should cool somewhat. Clean it up and go from there......
Just got back into town. I ordered a R12 A/C Guage Set off eBay this afternoon, which should arrive by Tuesday. Once it gets here I'll do the measurements and publish the results. In the meantime I'll stick to driving in the cool of the morning or late evening. Thanks for the advice.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
Ensure that the gap between the radiator and the condenser is sealed. You want ALL the air drawn by the fan to come though the condenser and not through the gap.

Consider installing a parallel flow condenser. Industry says they are 30% more efficient than the old fin/tube condensers. However, that does require opening the system and a complete recharge.

Aftermarket AC Condensers - Super Flow, Serpentine and tube and fin
Thanks! I'll check for any gaps!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
Just got back into town. I ordered a R12 A/C Guage Set off eBay this afternoon, which should arrive by Tuesday. Once it gets here I'll do the measurements and publish the results. In the meantime I'll stick to driving in the cool of the morning or late evening. Thanks for the advice.
Good deal, Ken. Cant wait til Tuesday!!!!!!!

87 spider veloce
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

I'll be picking up the A/C guage set tomorrow after work at the post office. However, I've never used a set of guages on this car before. Does someone have a diagram that identifies the location of the High and Low side ports? If so please point me in the righ direction. Thanks!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I'll be picking up the A/C guage set tomorrow after work at the post office. However, I've never used a set of guages on this car before. Does someone have a diagram that identifies the location of the High and Low side ports? If so please point me in the righ direction. Thanks!
No picture, but rinse down the tips of the service ports on top (usually) with can of spray brake cleaner/FI cleaner (solvent), and look for the engraved letters "S for suction (low side psi) and D for discharge (high psi side). Connect each tube from the guage set to each one (difficult to make mistake, as they are different). Then take reading with ac on (car running, of course.....LOL)

Look for a low psi on the low guage, if , as you say, suspect low on refrigerant. High is around 200 or so. depending on outside temps (typical rule is 2.1 X temperature). Low could be 30-45 for good psi for cold air.

Good luck

87 spider veloce
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Joe Papa! That's just what I needed. Well, I picked up the guages, but as luck would have it I had to go out of town again before I could use them. I should be able to get those pressure measurements on Monday. Have a great weekend!

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Gold Subscriber

I have a '91 Spider and while the air blows cold (had it re charged this summer) it also does not blow strong.

It blows cold about 8" - 10" before it "dissappears".

Just to compare it to my 2008 GMC Acadia, that thing blows cold right up to my face if I wanted, a good 24" away. That's strong.

That is what I am looking for in my Spider.

I would love to know if we can replace our blowers with a stronger system.

Watching this thread carefully.

Vin

1991 Spider Veloce - Red on Tan - Rosa Bionda
1987 Spider Quadrifoglio - Red on Grey - Rosa - Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Honey, this is the last thing I have to do, then I'm finished. It'll just be a minute.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Hey Vin. I'll settle for cold air first! But you bring up a good point, the blowers are a bit weak. I'm sure someone on this forum has looked into or replaced the blower. I'll be waiting as well.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Was finally able to hook the guages up tot he car this afternoon!! These were the readings:

Outside Air Temp: 87 deg F

Static Pressure (L = 68; H = 65)
Car On @ 1000 rpm; A/C on max & doors closed (L = 22; H = 115)
Car On @ 1500 rpm; A/C on max & doors closed (L = 16; H = 120)

Both the Low and High side readings seem to be below where their suppose to be. Could it be that I'm low on Freon (R-12) or could something else be the problem here?

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Was finally able to hook the guages up tot he car this afternoon!! These were the readings:

Outside Air Temp: 87 deg F

Static Pressure (L = 68; H = 65)
Car On @ 1000 rpm; A/C on max & doors closed (L = 22; H = 115)
Car On @ 1500 rpm; A/C on max & doors closed (L = 16; H = 120)

Both the Low and High side readings seem to be below where their suppose to be. Could it be that I'm low on Freon (R-12) or could something else be the problem here?
Sorry for delay- just got back from S Cal...

Now, I take it you dont have any cold ac. Also, does the comp kick on ? I guess not, as psi's are too low. Yes, I would add R12 (or HC refrigerant)

Psi's are way too low. I take it you havnt yet put in any gas(?) Thats what you gotta do. Add some refrigerant until you get psi around 40 or so, then stop, circulate for 2-3 minutes, and test for temp at ducts. High side should be 2.1 X ambient (approx 200 psi.)

87 spider veloce

Last edited by Joe Papa Sr; 09-13-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode