Gtv6 a/c mods - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Help with GTV6 A/C mods :o

Help with GTV6 A/C Mods

Here's what I've accumulated for my GTV6 Modifications.

The bottom picture is the compressor off Dee Schweikles old Milano. We cut the car up and cut the hoses out of the firewall without opening the system up.
This was my source for a Sanden compressor for my modifications. This system is still under pressure, the compressor rotates good, and I got the correct brackets to mount the Sanden on the GTV6 oil pan.

The top picture is the Sanden out of my Spider. It was out when I bought the car so don't blame me for exhausting the gas to the atmosphere. It seems to be good, rotates freely. I like it better than the Milano's because it has smaller hose connections and the schrader valves are on top. If there's some way to use it, I will.

I can't tell anything about the Compressors other than one has 507 22 in the casting on the side. Little boy, big boy, I don't know. Maybe you guys can help me sort that out. Is there a way to put the rear hose connections off the Spider compressor on the Milano compressor so I'd have the better hose connections. The Milanos are really bulky but they do have the schrader valves in them.

I guess i'll have to change to a one shieve pully too. (?) See, I have the correct bracket and casted bracket for the oil sump mounting. I'll need to buy barrier hose, fittings. I'll switch to the parellel flow condenser because they are cheap and supposedly more efficient. I'm thinking of taking the evaporator out of the heater box and make it a new box from aluminum sheet. I guess the Schrader connections on the compressor will need to be changed to R-134a type.
Attached Images

Last edited by Little Italian; 07-27-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
A/c mods

Here's a couple of other pictures:

One is the whole system, under charge. I'll keep it that way until the whole system for the car is designed.

Another is both of my compressors side-by-side. They sure look similar. I was hoping the Milano compressor was the larger, higher capacity. The second compressor (with Tape) has 507 22 on the side.

It looks like I could drill and tap the Milano compressor for a set of r134A Schreder valves. What do you think about that?

How do I deterimine if these are the "Shorty" compressors? As memtioned, one is marked SD507-22.
Is this OK. Should I be looking for a SD508 or something else ?
Attached Images

Last edited by Little Italian; 07-26-2012 at 12:59 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Go to the Sanden compressor site and download the Compressor Guide there. It's good reference information on identifying and date coding the various models.

http://www.sanden.com/originals/imag...uide_Rev.2.pdf

Measure the distance between the inside surfaces of the "ears."

If it's 73.3mm, then it's probably a SD507.

If it's 83.4mm, then it's probably a SD508, although I think Steve said they made a long body and a short 508.

Check Steve's thread out: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-...s-all-row.html

In case you haven't figured it out yet, Sanden is all over the map with how they designate compressors. I don't think they even know what they have half the time.

The "5" in the model number indicates 5 cylinders, and the "7" or "8" indicates a 7 or 8 cubic inches of displacement (115cc or 131cc).

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Last edited by Roadtrip; 07-29-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 02:25 PM

I have to ask why you've kept the charge in? Do you feel that there is a good amount of R12 in it? I'll add that ES12a is completely compatible with this older system - assuming everything is in good shape. Yes, it's flammable, but so is gas.

Unless it is a known that the compressor was working when last used - and even then - most likely the front seal is shot. You'll also want to replace the dryer.

nostalgicairparts.com have very reasonably priced 'Sanden' compressors and state outright that they are made in China. They can be used with R-12 or R-134a. I'm not sure but I believe if you state which refrigerant you will be using they'll have compressors with either of the fittings.

Biba

AlfaCyberSite.com
BibaRestorations.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode