Can an A/C unit be tested off the car - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Can an A/C unit be tested off the car

Hi all, i am removing an engine from a 84 spider with a/c into a 1977 body and dont want the a/c unit. My question is can the unit be tested, the belt was not on when i bought the car and not wanting a/c in the nortwest i never thought to buy one and check it. i thought if the a/c unit is still good maybe i could make a few bucks on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:11 PM

"testing" an ac system can mean anything. testing the comp? The hoses? The evap for ;leaks? Condenser? TEV? Never heard of testing it off the car- most one can do (I have) is kinda "test" the comp on a bench for "suction", although the scrolls are difficult to do vs the piston type as they dont generate suction/vac as quickly as one can spin the shaft......

You need lots of equipment to test components off the car. Ive done it, but need a shop who is very nice- testing the evap for pressures with nitrogen for leaks, for example. You have to have the who;le system attached.

87 spider veloce
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Gold Subscriber

Put your thumb over the suction port of the compressor, covering it completely, & turn the compressor over with a socket. If it sucks on your thumb, the compressor is probably good. You can test the field coil by putting voltage to it through a 3 amp in-line fuse. If it can go for about 5 minutes or so without blowing the fuse, the coil is probably OK.

Michael Keith
Vintage Car Solutions
Houston, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

94 164LS; 83 GTV6; 74 Spider; 67 Fiat 124 Sedan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode