About a year ago I decided that driving around Perth, Western Australia was freaking hot and an AC unit would make driving my Alfa all the more worthwhile. I started researching how to install an AC in my car and sourced the manuals from car disk international. I decided that I wanted to maintain the original appearance of the GTV 2000 model and so I set about sourcing many of the original parts.
Original parts included:
1. Borletti Evaporator Box from - http://www.alfapartsexchange.com/main.htm
2. Compressor Bracket that is mounted to studs protruding from the cylinder head - purchased off someone on this forum;
3. Compressor bracket used to stabilise the compressor - purchased off someone on this forum;
4. Heater Control Trim for AC model - from www.international-auto.com;
5. Air Conditioner decal for rear window - from www.mtcarmelspares.com
6. Double V belt engine pulley from - www.cilebertimotors.com.au
7. An old centre console from www.cilebertimotors.com.au
that I repaired with fibre glass and that I trimmed to shape (badly I might add). Having done this I sent it to http://wuscomau-001-site1.ctempurl.com/wct/
and they recovered with it with new vinyl;
8. Small Alfa badge for centre console - also sourced from http://www.alfapartsexchange.com/main.htm
Sourcing these original parts took almost 12 months.
Non-original parts included:
1. Odyssey PC925 Battery - from www.batteriesdirect.com.au
2. Taylor 300 Aluminium Battery Box - from Summit Racing;
3. Battery cables (1 gauge or 7.35mm diameter);
4. Derale Tornado 12 inch electric fan (16512) from www.centreline.com
5. York to Sanden conversion bracket - www.nostalgicairparts.com
6. Sanden SD7H15 Compresser - www.nostalgicairparts.com
7. 12x14" Parallel Condenser - www.nostalgicairparts.com
8. Air Cleaner and tubing (not yet purchased);
9. Hushmat insulation;
10. 10" inch curved blade electric fan for the condenser - www.nostalgicairparts.com
The first task was to ensure the evaporator box was tickety-boo and so I took this to an Auto Air Shop in Perth and they pressure tested the unit and fitted an expansion value suitable for R134a refrigerant. As the evaporator was dismantled I took the opportunity to replace the fan motor and the temperature sensor used to activate the switch to the Compressor; I replaced the foam that sits on the outer side of the heater core (top and bottom) as shown in the picture below. Section B shows where this foam needs to be trimmed to allow the hot air to divert through to the demisters. Notice that in section A the Evaporator fins have been straightened however I learned that these need to be bent over flat to ensure that the air flap can open and close properly once the unit is assembled.
AC Brackets. The stabaliser bracket was taken to Pedders to have the bushes replaced (not showin in this picture). Too much vibration from the Compressor could crack my head.
Demister tubes from top of Borletti Evaporator Box
I also recovered the inside top of the box with plastic contact paper to replace the plastic that blocked off the channels in the ceiling of the Evaporator box (lord knows what these were for).
Having completed this the next stage was to remove the old heater unit from the car and install the Borletti Evaporator box into the car. I'll get to this in my next post...