Need Sanden model number - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Need Sanden model number

I'm doing an A/C job on a 1990 Spider, & my A/C supplier is having trouble finding the correct compressor. The Sanden data sticker on the original compressor is no longer legible. Therefore, I cannot read the model number off of it, which is critical as there are many versions of the SD508.

The other issue is that this is a 1990 Spider, which is unique in that it uses o-ring style hose fitting like the series 4 Spiders, but it has a two groove pulley like the rest of the 3rd series cars.

3rd series cars other than 1990 models used flare style hose fittings (although some have been converted), & all the 4th series cars use a serpentine belt pulley.

That said, if no one has the model number from a 1990 Spider, the model number from another 3rd series Spider might get me close enough.

Michael Keith
Vintage Car Solutions
Houston, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

94 164LS; 83 GTV6; 74 Spider; 67 Fiat 124 Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 11:31 AM

Well, if nobody else has a better answer, this chart might help you:

Alfa Romero A/C Compressors

Note: The misspelling of Romeo wasn't from me.

I have a '91 Spider and has an SD508 model 9580 on it, which, as you mentioned, does use ORing fittings, but has a serpentine belt drive. If all else fails, I bet you can change the pulley on the 9580. Good luck. HTH. -Steve
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks for that chart. I'll give those numbers to my parts supply house on Monday.

Michael Keith
Vintage Car Solutions
Houston, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I took a look at my 90 Grad. but couldn't see any tags or stickers on my compressor. If you can advise where to look I'll give it another try.

Darreld Ellis

90 Spider Graduate 60K miles -- new to me 8/07
83 Spider Veloce 151K miles -- sold 8/07
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Compressor is same SD-508 "shorty" as used on Milano but with larger diameter clutch pulley with 2 V-belt grooves but only uses one belt. Finding real correct model number is a real challenge. As you know the 508 shorty has same lug spacing as SD-507 but the end fittings for hoses like 164 so uses orings.

Can you get a Milano or Series 4 spider compressor and reuse clutch and coil off the 90 Spider?

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks for the tip. I believe I have a Milano compressor laying around. I thought those used different lug spacing for some reason.

I don't like to reuse clutches and/or coils unless I absolutely have to. I can't warranty that; so it puts my customers in a position of possibly having to pay for the same job twice. Also, in the case of this compressor, in addition to leaking & making noise, its coil is shorted.

Thanks for looking darrelde. If you didn't see the model number sticker, it's either gone or positioned such that you'd have to remove the compressor to see it.

Michael Keith
Vintage Car Solutions
Houston, TX

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
TMI yes but I am bored watching final PGA tourney of the year.

It is almost always a crap shot finding the model number decal readable and then even if you do, finding that model number new or rebuilt with correct clutch is pure luck.

I recently lucked out for a friend and got a brand new SD-507 on sale from Alfa Orlando for his 88 Quad which was supposed to use a 508 shorty with oring fittings but actually had a 507 with flare nut fittings. Go figure how and when they put in these production changes. Compressor I got according to documentation was only through 86 models.

You can probably use coil off 91 serpentine belt clutch on 90 clutch plate and V-pulley.

I have one of those as I used a 91 series 4 compressor on my friends 87 Milano with his old clutch. Friends are not true warranty customers though.

However, he is still using compressor with R12 I put in many years ago so we were lucky.

I have a SD-709 V-belt clutch and coil assembly off a 85 Volvo 780 Bertone V6 coupe that I think is same as Series 3 Alfa Spider 507/508 shorty. I need to see if I can mix and match it with series 4 clutch and match it to old 507 core I keep which has a bad clutch plate. Just for grins!

You can never have to many spare parts and I never throw away any Alfa parts unless they are totally destroyed is my motto.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:13 AM

This is the compressor that I used to replace the compressor on my '82 Spider. It has o-ring connections and the correct dia clutch.

NEW 5104 SANDEN SD507 STYLE COMPRESSOR W/ CLUTCH : eBay Motors (item 400137907742 end time Aug-19-10 09:29:51 PDT)

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Larry the Cable Guy
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 10:52 PM

Hi Steve,
do you have any idea of which A/C compressor model is installed on 1992 Spider? is 507 or 508? do you know pulley/clutch coil dimensions?

Thank you
Ciscoci
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 04:54 PM

above link is bad (expired)....

Dont overpay for a reman comp.......buy from reputable dealer.

87 spider veloce
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 04:55 PM

going price is 1-200$$

87 spider veloce
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscoci View Post
Hi Steve,
do you have any idea of which A/C compressor model is installed on 1992 Spider? is 507 or 508? do you know pulley/clutch coil dimensions?

Thank you
Ciscoci
It is a SD-508 shorty same compressor as used on a 86 GTV6 and Milano but with different clutch. Regular SD-508 not the same body or head.

Model numbers get complicated has to do with type of clutch and head ports.

I think you need a model 9580 configuration for series 4 spider. Clutch is a PV6 wide pulley dia 132mm.

http://www.polarbearinc.com/PBPC/Hom...o/CO_Alfa.html

I have sold all my shorty's and the only series 4 clutch assembly. I did post some info about it under the Spider tab maybe we can search for more info there.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/air-...et-clutch.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...fa-spider.html

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 11-12-2012 at 05:43 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 10:33 PM

Thank you Steve for your replay,
actually I wrote already back to you, but somehow I realized my message didn't go trough.
What do you think is best:

NOS 507 in which I need to change clutch, coil and pulley because different from my model, but I could retain the compressor mount.
or
Buy a new 508 "style" ( nostalgic air) in which most probably I need to convert to the correct clutch,coil and pulley, and manufacture the mounting bracket but bigger capacity?
or
going for refurbish the old original compressor I bought on ebay?

Thank you
Ciscoci
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscoci View Post
old original compressor I bought on ebay?

Thank you
Ciscoci
Uh-ohhhh, ebay(?) I wish you luck with that. Really.

87 spider veloce
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 12:30 AM

Hi,
Indeed the 4 Seasons was a great help to me as well. I had a new compressor with the original 132mm pulley installed from them.
The guy that actually sold me all the A/C parts, compressor included, is one users of this site and of course he sold me all the parts as" in good working condition" while instead the only usable part of the compressor was the pulley.
The Condenser always from him failed the pressure test at the shop, the hoses 3 of them are ok, while of course the drier is scrap but with trinary still screwed in...Evaporator has the ABS case damaged from the shipper accordingly on what this guy reported to me. ( of course the damaged part was not exposed in any of the 200 pics I asked to have before buying the piece, so who can tell that was ok when he shipped? None! so forget about it

Back to 4Seasons they are really good, the technical guy supported me in choosing the parts and in the end it wasn't super expensive.
Here what was the bill:
Compressor new 200Ä with my 132mm pulley conversion installed.
expansion vlv suitable R134a 20Ä
parallel flow condenser 110Ä
drier 25Ä
I'm happy with this numbers, perhaps it could be less using vintage-air or similar suppliers but then the shipping cost to Europe....insanely expensive! plus 20% tax at the custom on the invoice price... No way.
Now the hard part: installing it and WIRES CONNECTION
Ciao
Cicoci

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode