Need Sanden model number - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 06:54 AM

I am surprised that 4Seasons shows the 58033 as the part for the Spider. I don't see how you can gain access to the service ports on the back, especially after you put the conversion valves on for R-134a.

After reading the last post and going back over the numbers I see where I still have a problem using the 58567 compressor. The original pulley size is 5.25" (~132mm). The 58567compressor as a 4.87" pulley. There is also a difference in the distance to the grooves (about .2" off.) But then again maybe that is why they put a washer between the engine mount and the compressor ear mount. That did seem odd to me when I removed the compressor.

Larry M.
'89 Spider Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 12:56 PM

The plot thickens. I purchased my 58033 from a company called Jensen Auto off of Ebay. I called them and told them the part they delivered did not work for three reasons:

1. The distance between the mounting ears was too great
2. The distance from the front mount to the center of the grooves was too short
3. The service ports on the back vs. top would not be accesible

The compressor I pulled off my Spider clearly is a Sanden SD507 body. Most of the parts sources I have found supply a SD508 or 509 body. I don't know why since these have rear service ports and really are not accesible.

After much searching around I thought I could use a SD507 from a Honda (58567) and convert my Spider to o-rings. Further research found issues with that model (primarily the pulley.)

I sent Jensen Auto some pictures of my compressor and called them to talk about the differences. They indicated they could build me a compressor to meet my needs including one with o-ring fittings versus the OEM flare fittings on my compressor.

Name:  alfa compressor.JPG
Views: 1127
Size:  135.7 KB
Name:  Alfa compressor 2.JPG
Views: 1062
Size:  133.0 KB

I am interested in what other people have found they have for compressors on their Spiders. Talking with Jensen they indicated they have run into this type of issue with other comprssors for Spider customers, and that Alfa seemed to use a number of "kits" to outfit our Spiders with AC, including different compressors.

I should have my new Frankenstein compressor by the weekend, but it will still be awhile before it will be operational.

Larry M.
'89 Spider Veloce
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 02:33 PM

I finally had a chance to bring the Spider in to have the AC system charged. I am happy to say that the system is up and running well.

Jensen Auto, as indicated above, basically built a compressor to my specifications. It was basically the same compressor I removed with the exception of the suction and discharge ports. My original compressor had flare fittings. During the removal process one of the hose fittings galled. Since I had to replace it I decided to also replace the other compressor hose and converted to o-ring fittings, which was highly recommended by the AC place I use (Bill Smith's if you happen to be in the Southeastern Virginia area.)

AC Compreesors

Larry M.
'89 Spider Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 04:45 PM

glad you got it going......stay cool.

87 spider veloce
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 10:37 AM

same compressor

Larry, Your's looks like the twin to the compressor in my 87 spider. Can you tell me what the new comp set you back and who to contact about getting one? It is such a nightmare to get out and replace, that I don't think I'd like to chance a used one. I was hoping to get my clutch to operate without removing it, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode