Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Australian newbie

4K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Pendelton 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I’ve only joined a few weeks ago and have already benefited from friendly members willing to spare their time to assist me with my inquires. Really is appreciated.

My name is Steven Dziopa (pronounced Joppa), and am new to Alfa ownership. I’ve recently acquired a 1971 (I believe) 1750 GTV Series 2, and have the intension to perform a decent restoration to the best of my ability, and budget.

I’m quite new to forums, but will try my best to start a thread as I progress. I’ve been out of the car scene for over 20yrs, so may need to seek advice on matters I’m not familiar with :)

If interested, a brief history on the car:

My uncle bought the car in mid 1972, and drove it daily until around 1982-3. Since then it was only a second car that wasn’t really used since, and even spent a few years outside with a cheap tarp covering the roof. The car registration was ceased in 1989, and was eventually relocated to my grandmothers garage, where is sat until about 1993. Then we painfully (I was 18ish then), and with great effort, moved the car about 400m under its own power, with no brakes, down the road to a house he was building.

The house was never completed, although completed enough to house the Alfa ( and lots of other things) safely. The Alfa sat there ever since, gathering dust and possum droppings for many years. About 2 months ago, we visited the place and spent several hours digging out years of stuff collecting until we got to the Alfa parked at the back wall with a large window (no curtains). Surprisingly, the CN36 Cinturatos still held air and only took a few extra pounds each. Almost welded to the floor, they eventually broke free with four blokes heaving and we finally rolled it outdoors the first time in decades. The Aussie weather has been really kind to the body work, which certainly saves me a lot of grief. Still, fuel lines broke like glass, as did the boot lining. Foam has turned into powder, vinyl has hardened a bit, but overall it's really quite good. Having owned several Fiats in the past, this is just fantastic, especially the body. Only one minor ding when my Aunty reversed her Bellett and denting the front valance panel in the late 70's, besides that it accident free.

I’ve attached a few photos. The first two photos are from when my uncle first got the car (in 1972). Photos taken by my dad on the day they were heading out for my brothers Christening. He took 6 people (kids in the front you see, yeah I know) to the Christening at once, whilst being lectured by my grandfather for trading the FIAT 1500 mk3 in for this super expensive impractical little toy.

Attachments

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#4 ·
Congrats and welcome. You look to have the bones of a fine car, that colour was not particularly common at least in Australia. The only other one I can recall was in Surrey Hills down in Melbourne, there was a thread here about that some time back. And look after that RHD dash, from these pictures it looks crack free which is very rare and while new ones are available in LHD I'm not sure if they are in RHD.

Keep us updated :)

#6 ·
welcome Steve , looks like a great car and yes look after the dash, they all crack. keep that colour too it looks fantastic. plenty of Aussies here that are happy to help.
give the car a thorough clean and try to get it running before ripping it apart.

cheers Ian

#8 ·
Hey thanks everyone very much appreciate the response :) It'll be sentimental build that's for sure! My uncle was particular keen on this colour, so will certainly paint it the same and I'll keep it all as original as I can. There is a crack in the dash (bugger), but will have this addressed at a later stage, maybe by the "Dashboard Doctor" or similar. So far I just gave it a good clean to see what I'm dealing with. Whilst it appears quite clean, I think it will need to be stripped down completely and I'll just re-use as many parts as possible (I don't mind the natural patina but some things won't be salvageable). The paint is original, but gone, and on close inspection you can see little worms under the paint in various places all over the car. Little rust in the sills and a bit in the drivers door (RHD), but so far that's all I've seen :)

I'll start a new thread under the restoration part of the forum. Well I'll try anyway as I'm not very IT savvy :) I'll name the thread with the colour code on the boot sticker "Bleu chiaro metall restoration"

But I do thank you all for your interest and would appreciate any guidance along the way :) I have learnt so much already so have a good heads up so far.

#9 ·
Hi mate welcome and congrats on a really nice car. Which part of Brisbane are you in?
There is a very healthy Alfa community in Brisbane all you need to do is ask, if you need a hand ok. Regards John:smile2:

Reactions: jantar and Aggie57
#12 ·
hi Joppa,

Just helped a friend get a newly bought 1750 going that hasn't been driven for 10 years, it will be heading to Brisbane when its going, cheers Ian

#14 ·
Thanks Ian - I think that might be me you are referring to. Hi Joppa - i’m Also a newbie in Brisbane - this is actually my first post - so I’m just learning the ropes too.
Just signed up to BB and loomed the Alfa club the other day.

Glad to say my newly acquired 1750 is now in Brisbane safe’n’sound. I’m now the 3rd owner. Car has brakes locking on so that will be the first job. Apparently they were rebuilt 3000 miles ago but this equates to about 7 or 8 years I’m guessing. I’m hoping to try and get some advice on rebuilding calipers with classic Alfa kits. The cooling system will be next. I’m going to try and keep this as original as I can. It had a respray about 20 or so years ago but hasn’t been restored. See how I go anyway.

Sounds Ike you are off to a cracking start. Good luck - and I too love that colour..

Cheers
Tim.

#18 ·
Hi Tim,

After all these months I've only just sore your posts. That's a great example you have there. Hope you have everything sorted since and she's not giving you too much grief.

Definitely keep it as original as you can, especially for an unrestored version, it just looks fantastic. The interior looks better than most restored versions I've seen. I would take an unrestored example over a restored one any day. They're just not the same once restored, ask me how I know haha.

#19 ·
Thanks Joppa - it’s been a fun journey. I’ve kept her original and she drives superbly now. I have replaced all rubber bushes ( with standard ones - tie rods, idler arm, shock bushes, spring pans, all rear bushes, even put original shocks and coils back in - (they are superb), new clutch , drive train donuts and bearings etc. fuel system cleaned out , carby kit out through it and brakes fully rebuilt ( new booster and regulator valve). She drove beautifully to Stanthorpe and back - just couldn’t be happier (haven’t even changed the points 😂) 👍🏻. I’m trying to get the original 1969 drive experience, including new 165 Pirelli Centuratos. Just love this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.