5Likes
  • 1 Post By Lantheaume
  • 3 Post By Mario Romagnoli
  • 1 Post By Vivace

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Smile Greetings! - Father to Son Alfa

Hello! My name is Adam and in June, after decades of wishing (and persistence ), I've gotten my Father's 1986 Spider Veloce. He bought it new and has taken good care of it for the past three decades. I just moved to Maine, and with that got a garage attached to the house - so the car has moved from him to me. I could not be more excited.

I'm so happy to have found AlfaBB. Although I've wanted to have, maintain and fix this car for years - I have no skills (yet) in the later two categories. I'm interested in putting the time, sweat and tears in - but most of our auto work was handled by mechanics so I don't really have any experience.

I've been lurking for the past few weeks and this really seems like a super community. Looking forward to learning from all of you and thanks in advance for dealing with all my questions!

Any advice welcome! Anything that you "wish you knew when you started"? Good resources (books, videos, etc.) you'd recommend someone start with?

For those interested - here's a video of the day the car arrived:

And I know the group likes photos - so here's a few attached.

Thank you!

a.

P.S. I'm working on a post to detail out the car's condition and I already have a backlog of questions - but short version is: seems to run pretty well and I've put almost 500 miles on it since I got it in June.
Attached Images

integrale likes this.

Alfa and car repair newbie
* 1986 Spider Veloce *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 06:54 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Welcome! The car looks great.

The cars are a lot of fun to drive and maintain (although the latter can be a little frustrating sometimes). A few "must haves" are (1) reference to the Bosch L-Jet diagnostics, which can be found at this link; (2) a shop manual (I purchased mine on CD from cardisc.com; and (3) a good wiring diagram (send me a PM with your email address, and I will provide you a copy).

Also, there is a set of technical FAQs on the top of the Spider-specific page of the BB (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...ies-1966-1994/).

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:01 AM

Congratulations!

Don't forget to join the Alfa Owners of New England (AONE) aka the New England Chapter of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club-USA. I belonged to that chapter when I lived in Boston in the early 1980's, and made many friends with whom I remain in contact to this day!

Your story reminds me of our own family Alfa story: when my son was about 6 months old, I bought a new 1985 GTV6 - it served as a daily driver, track car, autocross car, etc. I had his infant seat in the back, and over the years we travelled to baseball games, skiing in Vermont, school trips, Cub Scout overnights and countless other tasks.
Not surprisingly, it suffered the expected wear and tear driving on New York roads.

I was struggling with whether to restore it or sell it, and my son, then about 16 years old, said to me. "Dad, I have always loved that car. Please don't sell it. If you give it to me, I promise I'll never put you in a home!"

Well, we shook on that deal. So the GTV6 was restored, and now resides with my son.

I'm not sure if my wife is included in that arrangement, but I rest easy that my future is secure!
sloboy89, ihart and Lantheaume like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:12 AM

Garage
Looks nice! I've never seen a white S3.
Lantheaume likes this.

1967 1600 Spider
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:29 AM

Garage
(I might reconsider those big square fogs, however - personal preference)

1967 1600 Spider
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:59 AM

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloboy89 View Post
Welcome! The car looks great.

The cars are a lot of fun to drive and maintain (although the latter can be a little frustrating sometimes). A few "must haves" are (1) reference to the Bosch L-Jet diagnostics, which can be found at this link; (2) a shop manual (I purchased mine on CD from cardisc.com; and (3) a good wiring diagram (send me a PM with your email address, and I will provide you a copy).

Also, there is a set of technical FAQs on the top of the Spider-specific page of the BB (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...ies-1966-1994/).
Thanks @sloboy89! This is great! Sorry for the delayed reply - yesterday was more about power washing the house then it was about tinkering with the Alfa and posting to the BB. Can't all be Alfa days
  • I saw (but don't understand yet) the Bosh L-Jet diags
  • The tech docs at the top of the Spider page I just overlooked (went right to the rest of the forum). That's great stuff! A firehose of info but I'm starting to look it over. (I do have a fuel smell in the trunk I'm trying to identify)
  • PM coming with my email for that wiring diagram - ty!

Question about the shop manual.
I have a physical one my Dad has bought and gave to me - but I was interested in an electronic one if it was searchable. Can you search the PDFs that come on it?

Ordered some books too per @ghnl 's recommendation here (Which I found due to you telling be about the Tech FAQ - so thanks again)
  • Alfa Romeo Owner's Bible by Pat Braden
  • Alfa Romeo All-Alloy Twin CAM Companion, 1954-1994: Four-Cylinder History, Care, and Restoration: Giulietta, Giulia, and Alfetta Families by Pat Braden

* 1986 Spider Veloce *
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks! @Mario Romagnoli!
I follow the AONE in this forum, but since you mentioned it I looked online and found this too - https://www.velocissima.com/ I'll def check it out and join.

I love your story! Hopefully they let your wife in as a roommate? ;-)
A bit more parallel in our story - I grew up in NY - that's where the car was for the first 20 or so years of its life as it was my Dad's daily drive on the LIE and road trips. Dad let me drive it to my proms vs. having a limo (although my dates made me keep the top up to maintain their hair).

Lived in Cambridge, Somerville and Salem MA after that.

I've been sharing with my Dad about how much I've been loving the car - LOTS of drives in it around the island. He's said to me that he's so happy I'm enjoying it AND he's happy for the car too - it loves to be driven and he just hadn't been driving it much.

* 1986 Spider Veloce *
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
re: white. You know - before this forum I didn't really ever see other Alfas. I've only thought of them in white :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivace View Post
(I might reconsider those big square fogs, however - personal preference)
Yeah - I'm not sure when he put those on. Honestly I thought they came with the car - there's a fog light button near where the power windows are. But if I look I can see the wiring where they're attached and it's definitely after he got it. I'll have to ask.

We do get lots of foggy mornings in Maine - might come in handy :-)

* 1986 Spider Veloce *
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This is great - thank you! Adding to my Evernote notebook I've started for the car.
Now I know what I'm reading tonight.

Super appreciate it!

* 1986 Spider Veloce *

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode