New member - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:08 PM
Darth Moderator
Platinum SubscriberModerator

@adowns --> That's a really nice Spider & in a really pretty colour too !!

Glad it's a good one, you can spend some time detailing it, but I'll bet you would rather spend time driving it !!

Don't worry about little things, very soon the others will arrive to fill up your life with restoring big things Always Looking For Another remember ??

Post some pics in the Spider forum, they really like their pictures --> https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...ted-today.html

Ciao
Greig

Some 750's
Some 101's
Some 105's
Some others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Jack and Greig for the welcomes. I have enjoyed my short time with this 85 Spider. My kids and grandchildren like it too.

I've fixed several items so far. 1) passenger side door latch 2) speedometer repair 3) had to get a new battery

Its good points: 1) No 2nd gear synchro issues 2) starts instantly and runs perfectly 3) all instruments and lights work 4) 61000 miles, which I think is accurate, no discrepancies found in Autocheck report 5) No rust in spare tire well or inside the door I had apart 5) I don't think it has ever been repainted except for touch-ups 6) top doesn't leak

Bad points: I can tell it's 34 years old. 1) Droopy sun visors. 2) Seats sag. 3) Suspension bottoms if you hit a bump too hard. 4) Lots of dings and chips covered with touchup paint 5) Region below the doors has been bondo-ed and touched up. 6) Outside rear-view mirrors are tiny.

The most dramatic impression is how small it is and how low it sits. Picture attached - I took granddaughter for a short ride.
Attached Images

Jack Straw likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:23 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adowns View Post
Bad points: I can tell it's 34 years old. 1) Droopy sun visors. 2) Seats sag. 3) Suspension bottoms if you hit a bump too hard. 4) Lots of dings and chips covered with touchup paint 5) Region below the doors has been bondo-ed and touched up. 6) Outside rear-view mirrors are tiny.
Well, most of that is normal for a 34-year old car.

1) The BB has a thread about fixing droopy visors
2) It's probably time to visit an upholsterer - foam rubber disintegrates after 34 years
3) You probably need new shocks - how does the car rebound when you push down hard on a fender? If you do need shocks, Konis are my recommendation. Lots of threads on how to adjust them.
4) Now you don't have to worry about future dings & chips.
6) Tiny rear view mirrors are one of the charms of a vintage car.

Uh, but about #5: By "Region below the doors" do you mean the rocker panels? This one could be serious, as the rockers are part of the structure of a unibody car like your Alfa. Might be worthwhile having a good body shop take a look at this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 05:33 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adowns View Post
The number of problems owners have is somewhat disconcerting though.
Let's put this in perspective - I'm also on the Honda Odyssey Owner's BBS. These vans are generally less than 15 years old, and the issues they have are jaw-dropping. (Sliding door kills the battery? VVT blows up the engine????)

I've worked on Alfas and Odysseys - and the Alfa is by far easier - and.... wait for it... the parts ARE CHEAPER!! (Alternator for Odyssey - $600, Spider $200)
alfaloco likes this.

50 years from now - how are we going to restore a "classic" microprocessor based modern car?? Alfas - 1980 Spider, 1987 Milano, 1976 Spider
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:51 AM
Gold Subscriber

Nice start to Alfas.
Yeah--Koni Reds.
The saggy springs can be improved by putting in rubber wedges, or threading on a bit of hose to the bottom coils of each spring.
No need to go to a "performance" suspension kit.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode