Newbie who's wanted an Alfa Spider forever - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kuni123456

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Newbie who's wanted an Alfa Spider forever

Hello All,

I have wanted an Alfa Spider since I began driving. An Alfa dealer was just down the road from me and I spent my youth drooling over them. I'm 48 now... I can't shake this "need" to have one. I'm here researching the most affordable Alpha I can purchase for under $10,000 that is ready to go and impressive. That may be a tall order but... one has to try!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:21 PM

I would buy the best car you can afford because repairing an old car can be very expensive. I started to drive in 1968 and my first car was a 1961 Sprint Veloce. I learned about repairing and restoring Alfas with this car and have owned a total of eleven Alfas. Have fun!
dmerth likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Fantastic advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:08 PM

I only like to drive Alfas and have driven them for more than 650,000 miles in 51 years. The three Alfas that I currently own have been driven 420,000 miles and would like to buy another new Alfa. I would like to buy a Giulia QV Coupe when it is produced. I am retired and now restore Alfas and help friends with their cars. I have worked on many interesting cars.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:04 AM

kuni123456 is absolutely correct.
Buy the best you can and even with $10,000 you can get a really good driver.
The people on this site are really helpful should you have any questions, and when you buy your Alfa (too late, you are hooked), they love to see pictures.
Unless you are really mechanical, get a pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic you trust, including getting under the car to check for the Alfa nemisi, rust and signs of a major collision.
When I purchased my Alfa, some 30 years ago, I saw a lot of beautiful shells that were completely rotted out underneath (not just Alfas, I looked at a lot of sports cars before buying my baby.)
If the seller won't go for a pre-purchase inspection, walk away, they are hiding something.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:39 AM

I thank you for the compliment and just want to help anyone that wants to buy any old car. I have seen owners buy cars and spend up to $25K to repair rust and prior accident damage. You have to have an inspection by a third party before purchasing any vehicle unless you are an expert.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:48 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Definitely lots of help here on the BB. Where are you on this world? There might be resources local to you.

Cheers,

Carson, 4 Alfa's, 9 Cars, 4 Motorcycles
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:25 AM
Gold Subscriber

Welcome demerth.

You've landed in the right place. $10K can certainly get you a decent example. Last spring I bought quite a nice Series 4 in that price range.

This forum helped me connect with three knowledgeable and helpful Alfisti who live close by. Since I don't live close to a large metro area I had been a little nervous about a support network and it was a pleasant surprise to meet these guys.

There are pockets of Alfa enthusiasts is some surprising places so I'd guess you'll find some near you.

Good luck on your search and POST PICTURES.

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

I'm in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area. Resources will be needed for sure. For one, I will need to find a mechanic that knows Alfas for a pre-purchase inspection in my area.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:36 PM

This is a 1956 Spider that I recently restored but, it was sold. I remember seeing a 1956 Spider that was sold for $150 but, that was in 1970. This car did not have a matching number engine but, it was originally painted black and it turned out nice.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode