2Likes
  • 1 Post By ghnl
  • 1 Post By Jack Straw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Introducing Myself

Hi All!
Just purchased a solution to my mid-life crisis. A 1988 Spider Quadrifoglio. Need some TLC which I've been taking care of. I'm fortunate to have a pole barn with a lift in it. When purchased from the PO I took it out for a test ride and it ran okay, but I knew it needed a tune-up and some love. Go to pick it up and they can't get it started w/o using starter fluid (so we got air and spark no go-go juice). The folks who owned it had a repair shop. He immediately diagnoses "Tank pump died". Turn key on and sure enough, no noise but it's getting 12v. I say heck with it, hit up Rockauto for both pumps and a new filter, as well as Air filter, plugs, cap, rotor, and wires. Replaced all today....still no start. Luckily I called Centerline in CO. They led me to the relay behind the passenger seat which showed it not to be sending 12v to the hi pressure pump under the car. Awaiting the part from them ($96 for a relay &#128563 Also changed the D/S tie rod ends which were sloppy. Wish me luck, someone played with the fuse box and the D/S window is slow as molasses in January. Will post pics soon 😀

Anthony "Yac" Yacopino
Finger Lakes Region NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:07 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Welcome! We'll be expecting those pictures soon - we like pictures.

Click the link in my signature to a page of DIY info about the Spider's L-jetronic system.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the article it was extremely detailed and informative. As you said though, more pictures (especially for noobs like myself), but definitely very informative. I have a "Powerprobe" tester. I will say it's an investment that pays for itself...anyway, when I put 12v (through the Powerprobe) on the high pressure pump it worked-that's at the pump directly and at the relay. If the fuse is between the relay and the pump it would not work, that's what convinced me it is the relay. I put 2 pumps in un-necessarily but one has to live and learn. Hoping I don't find more bugs but I'm not confident in that. I've found Sheetrock screws holding the trashed door panels in. So God knows what else what rigged in this car.

Anthony "Yac" Yacopino
Finger Lakes Region NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:49 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Hopefully you won't find too many DPO aftermarket wiring bodges...
Attached Images

TheYac likes this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:39 AM
Gold Subscriber

Welcome to the Bulletin Board.

I'm a first time Alfa owner and the information and, maybe most importantly, the moral support here is priceless. I have a '91 S4 Spider and am just beginning to address some electrical gremlins. Persistence is everything.
TheYac likes this.

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:21 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
Looking forward to seeing pics!

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode