Hi from South Australia - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi from South Australia

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to drop a note here and say hello.

I have just purchased a 1967 Guilia Sprint GT Veloce and I am looking forward to gaining some hints, tips and knowledge from the good people on this forum.

The car was last registered for use in 1992 and has been sitting in a garage ever since (not quite a barn find, but close )

Cheers all!

Notch (aka Paul)
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 05:30 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
Welcome. Appreciate the photos (we like photos). Please post more as work progresses - we like the before, during & after photos.
Notch likes this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You might regret asking for photos ghnl you might just get bombarded as work commences and hopefully progresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
Welcome. Appreciate the photos (we like photos). Please post more as work progresses - we like the before, during & after photos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 09:17 PM

Garage
Fantastic find Notch. These cars look really good in white. Maybe it's also the original colour?

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!

If at all possible (not knowing the condition yet) you should perhaps consider cleaning her up, getting her running and then driving and enjoying her for a while. The full restoration may take a frustratingly looong time...

Jannes
'64 Giulia 1600 Ti, '66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce, '70 1750 GTV
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 09:20 PM

nice
Notch likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 10:22 PM

Welcome Notch!

Nice Alfa .... looks to be in good condition from the pics you have posted here and in the GT section.

What is the body like, interior?

White is good (I used to have one years ago!).

Cheers,

Paul.
Notch likes this.

'74 2000 GTV - Robinia Metallizzato, '73 1.3 Giulia Super - Giallo Prototipo, '68 1750 S1 Berlina - Verde Oliva Metallizzato
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 10:37 PM

Garage
Thumbs up

Hi Notch what a great find.You Know that white is Alfas official racing colour. I agree about the clean up and get her roadworthy and drive for a while.
Notch likes this.

Current cars 1975 spyder under resto, 1973 Berlina Resto 1976 Berlina parts car 1972 GTjunior fully restored, 1 complete rolling shell spyder.exit 1989 75 T/S sold
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 10:49 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceRosso View Post
If at all possible (not knowing the condition yet) you should perhaps consider cleaning her up, getting her running and then driving and enjoying her for a while. The full restoration may take a frustratingly looong time...
I agree 110%
Me too.

Pete
Notch likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cheers Sketchl,

I totally agree with your suggestion. Ive been a member on a great many forums over the years and having the same questions asked over and over can be very frustrating for the longer serving members.....I will certainly do my best!!

Thanks again!

Notch (aka Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchl View Post
Welcome aboard Notch and congratulations on your purchase.

I strongly suggest that you over utilise the ‘Search’ tool in the various topics as many of the issues you are going to experience have 95% of the time been experienced by many before you, which is comforting.

Good luck
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cheers VR!

Its definitely the original colour....i bought the car from the original owner and am assured it is all original, but I guess time will tell

Im certainly not considering a full restoration just yet.....I want to overhaul the driveline and suspension etc. and then see how it goes. Ive built a couple of cars over the years and the full resto route seems to take FOREVER!!!

By the way, Ive been checking out your rebuild....kudos to you my man, that is an outstanding build!!!!

Im sure we will chat in future!!

Notch (aka: Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceRosso View Post
Fantastic find Notch. These cars look really good in white. Maybe it's also the original colour?

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV-074 View Post
Welcome Notch!

Nice Alfa .... looks to be in good condition from the pics you have posted here and in the GT section.

What is the body like, interior?

White is good (I used to have one years ago!).

Cheers,

Paul.
From one Aussie Paul to another, cheers mate!!

Body is surprisingly good. There are a few small dents on the car and the LH door has a crease down it where it looks like the door has swung open and hit something possibly. Having had a bit to do with Alfas over the years (I was previously the Parts Manager for the local Alfa dealer for a number of years but I've never actually owned one) I was amazed at how little rust there appears to be. According to the original owner, the car was always garaged....and as I think I mentioned elsewhere, has been off the road since 1992. Ive machine polished the bonnet and the paint has come up fantastic.....really surprising considering the paint staining that was on the bonnet....hopefully the rest of the car comes up just as good!!

Interior is fairly sad with both front seats torn etc. but the back seat and door trims arent too bad. It is missing interior door handles for some unknown reason so hopefully I will be able to find some somewhere.

As for the white, funny story on that....when the old boy told me about the car he didnt mention the colour. I said to one of my sons "how good would it be if its white instead of red for something different". Anyway, I went to view the car and drove in the driveway, spotted the white and fell in love. Super happy with my purchase!

As another Aussie, can you give me an idea of what you think an early stepnose Sprint GT Veloce might be worth in the sort of condition mine is? The value doesnt mean anything to me really, just interested as I think I got a roaring deal on it.

Cheers,

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydaman View Post
Hi Notch what a great find.You Know that white is Alfas official racing colour. I agree about the clean up and get her roadworthy and drive for a while.
Cheers Spydaman!

I didnt know about the racing heritage in regard to the colour.....Im even more happy now!

Definitely a bit of work to get her roadworthy enough to drive, but very keen to do so ASAP.

Appreciate the welcome!

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 12:59 AM

Garage
Hi Notch,

welcome. lots of Alfa guys in Australia.

I've seen a couple of ridiculously rusty step fronts go for just over 20k on ebay

cheers Ian
Notch likes this.

62 LANCIA FLAMINIA GT 2500 PROJECT (now sold) 64 SPRINT GT (Gone)
68 1750 ROUND TAIL SPIDER 70 1750 GTV 62 101 GIULIA SPRINT
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITALCAROZ View Post
Hi Notch,

welcome. lots of Alfa guys in Australia.

I've seen a couple of ridiculously rusty step fronts go for just over 20k on ebay

cheers Ian
Hi Ian,

Cheers for the feedback regarding the value.....mine is definitely not rusty, and let me tell you, I didn't pay anywhere near 20k for it either

Glad to see a few Aussies on here too!!!

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 05:41 AM

Hi Notch,
Your car is presenting with high rear arches, so may be a very late 1967. There is the historical section of Alfa Romeo that can supply you with information/certificate on build date, delivery and colours of interior and exterior. Your car could be called a 'survivor car'. How to approach bringing a survivor car back to life is not something I have had to consider, so will be interested to see your approach. It may have some similarities with my approach in bringing a car with many needs back to life so it is a survivor car of the future.
These cars had two instead of three sheets of steel securing the front engine cross member, so the two sheets face more forces so tend to crack. You need to inspect the body for micro cracks around the front suspension areas and engine cross member. Inspect the whole car for micro cracks.
The engine bay pictures look like not much has been changed from original.

A little caution is needed when it comes to getting the car going and running her for a while!
1967 engines are quite scarce (because most were replaced with 1750 or 2L, cultural trend of the 80's). Engines are susceptible to corrosion inside where the cast iron liners contact the block, from use of 'Adelaide tap water' instead of coolant, full engine rebuild here.

Early mechanical gearboxes are costly to rebuild and even more costly if they explode from lack of maintenance. The gearboxes are a bit tricky to rebuild, there is the decision on what parts to use. NOS parts (expensive and hard to find) or expensive reproduction or budget reproduction parts.

Diff was a 4.5 ratio, the differential bearings are readily available as reproductions, NOS parts come up as well. The rear axle wheel bearings tend to go, so need to replace these. Tail shaft needs to be in top condition, it has rubber centre support with a bearing and a rubber connection between gearbox and tail shaft tend to let go, don't drive car unless this has been changed. Old ones tend to explode and make a mess of under floor area and can send tail shaft through the floor!

Most interior parts are available as reproductions including the seat covers and front seat base cushion and plastic turn knobs. Not available are the steel seat frames and the front seat back rest cushions and rear seats cushions. The door handles I think are available. The 66 and 67 GTV only came with red or dark brown Bertone leather DeLuxe interiors with patterns that don't resemble the vinyl seat patterns.
Cheers Steve

Last edited by Steve105; 11-01-2018 at 01:47 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode