Centro Documentazione Alfa Romeo - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Centro Documentazione Alfa Romeo

Hi fellow Alfisti,

New to the world of Alfa with a 73 105 GT Veloce 2000.

Just wondering if anyone has contacted the Centro Documentazione Alfa Romeo recently for information on their Alfa.

I received the following email back. Has anyone else been asked to pay for information? Wow

Following your request, we would like to inform you that from our search in the production registers concerning the chassis number you provided, the following information is available:

- Model
- Production date
- Delivery date
- Market destination
- Exterior color
- Interior

The Certificate of Origin, printed on high-quality paper, will be sent to the address you have provided. A preview will be sent to your email address. The cost of this service is 70.00€.

As an alternative, the information could be provided in the text of an e-mail. The cost of this service is 30.00 €.

If you have the current engine number, we can check whether it’s original.

After you send us your confirmation by replying to this email, we will proceed to sending you the payment instructions.

Kind regards,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:11 AM

Garage
Yes, this seems to be the new policy since the archive reopened earlier his year.

No all that expensive -- and certainly far less expensive than (but not as detailed as) information one gets from Ferrari or Maserati.

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:53 AM

XXX

Last edited by mygtveloce; 02-22-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:25 AM

They have specific documentation that match engine and VIN number.

Nice, they can print certificate now!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygtveloce View Post
"If you have the current engine number, we can check whether it’s original."

Do you think it's safe to assume that Alfa Centro Documentation is simply confirming if the engine number falls in the range of chassis numbers for a given model?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Pershyn View Post
They have specific documentation that match engine and VIN number.
The answer depends on model and year. I've been to the archive myself and have seen the 2600 documentation (I was granted complete, unsupervised access for research I was doing). These records are handwritten accounting ledgers, not build sheets, and there is NO information in these books concerning engine numbers.

But, it appears that when Alfa switched from handwritten records to computerized records for later models, they seem to have recorded engine numbers as well (for example, compare with what D'Amico & Tabucchi show on p. 13-16 of their book -- the computer printout for 105.12 (2000 Berlina) cars from 1971 seem to have chassis as well as engine numbers listed for each car, as shown in the picture below). So, yes, for a 73 GTV, I would expect that they have computerized records with the actual engine number, not just a number range.

However, there may be corporate policies in place that prevent the archive from releasing engine information up front where such information exists. They may be allowed to tell you if the number matches, not what it's supposed to look like -- similar to a testing whether your key fits the lock rather than telling you what the key for the lock should look like (e.g. to prevent fakes, etc.). By the same token, it appears the archive can no longer release the name and/or city of the first owner, even if they know it (which would only apply to sales in Italy).

Name:  P1040903 (cropped).jpg
Views: 628
Size:  70.5 KB

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]

Last edited by tubut; 04-21-2017 at 12:02 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:48 AM

Thank you for the clarification, I have never requested information about cars made before 70s.

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 02:10 PM

I should email them on my 64 Sprint GT

86 Porsche 911 - 76 Bmw 2002 - 72 Datsun 240z - 68 Porsche 912
64 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT (IG: righteousrags89)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 05:53 PM

As I understand Marco Fazio returned to historical services - Manager at FCA Heritage. I hope positive changes are coming

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:50 PM

great info, thanks
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 06:25 PM

I have a 71 GTV and they are telling me:

"Unfortunately the production register doesn’t indicate the engine number"

All other data (per the first post in this thread) is available.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 07:56 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambles View Post
I have a 71 GTV and they are telling me:

"Unfortunately the production register doesn’t indicate the engine number"

All other data (per the first post in this thread) is available.
My understanding is Alfa Romeo never recorded which engine went in which chassis.

In my case though New Zealand did when it was first registered here 🙂
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 04:50 AM

Centro Documentazione - March 2018 Experience

Further to Squidders "Just wondering" about recent experience with Centro Documentazione Alfa Romeo, I can share the results of my purchases of two Certificato di Origine made in March 2018 for my Alfas.

As this service had been suspended for some time, I made personal enquiries during a visit to the Museo Alfa Romeo in September 2017. The staff told me that the service was back on stream and fulfilling a long list of back orders.

On returning home, I emailed a separate request for each car providing the chassis number and engine number. In return I received an email asking if I wanted the full 70 Euro certificates or digital 30 Euro versions. I confirmed an order for the full certificates. I then received invoices for the two certificates and paid the fees.

Within a week I received email confirmation of the order. Then followed an email detailing the information that would be included in my full certificates. The full certificates arrived about two weeks later by courier and are suitably formal and impressive with a signature by the Curator.

Given that the process is straightforward and of reasonable cost, it is a sensible thing to do given the increasing values of our cars. These documents prove the chassis has its original engine and that the exterior and interior colours are correct.

Many keen owners are securing certificates for their cars because they add credibility and value to the car, particularly in a concours environment. We have also noted in recent years that more people and reputable dealers selling cars having non-original engines are "outing" this fact in sales advertising.

If you are a buyer, it is sensible to request to see the car's Certificato di Origine . . . but make sure you check that the numbers on the certificate do match those on the chassis and engine!

Hope this is useful. Cheers, AlfaBazz

Last edited by AlfaBazz; 01-10-2019 at 02:49 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:25 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaBazz View Post
These documents prove the chassis has its original engine ...
Oh, I stand corrected. Hmm I should get one

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 03:21 AM

Centro Documentazione - March 2018 Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubut View Post
However, there may be corporate policies in place that prevent the archive from releasing engine information up front where such information exists. They may be allowed to tell you if the number matches, not what it's supposed to look like -- similar to a testing whether your key fits the lock rather than telling you what the key for the lock should look like (e.g. to prevent fakes, etc.). By the same token, it appears the archive can no longer release the name and/or city of the first owner, even if they know it (which would only apply to sales in Italy).

Attachment 1244994
Should have referred also to tubut quote . . . I understand your point regarding Centro Documentazione releasing engine info up front is correct. With respect to them revealing name/city of first "owner", I received such information in both of my certificates. The certificates technically identified the first "owners" - the USA dealer and city for one car and the Australian dealer and city for the second car.

Cheers, AlfaBazz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode