'65 GTA RHD Potential Restoration - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 07:01 AM
Platinum Subscriber

To answer your specific question, no, I don't think this is a job for someone with "a limited knowledge of engines." Beyond the normal problems of sitting for 20 years (gas turned to varnish (especially inside the carbs and fuel lines), rust on the internal steel and iron parts, old acidic oil, bugs and birds inside, things stuck to other things), this is a relatively sophisticated, high-strung engine meant for racing, with expensive [irreplaceable] parts, close tolerances, and careful assembly. As such, it's not a Chevy 350 that can be got running with a hammer.

Alfa engines are not that complicated once you know your way around them, but it takes some general knowledge and experience. And as is said above, this car is an incredible find, worth a lot of money, and screwing up the engine would be a shame. I would associate someone who knows his/her way around Alfa engines, preferably GTA engines specifically, to help you determine the condition and get it mobile without doing any damage to it.

You're very fortunate, I think.

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65healey View Post
Does the FIA homogulation issue account for the fact that my engine number AR00502/A *19218* is not in the range of the published (Fusi/Tabucci) motor numbers ('65 18907-18980, '66 18501-18906) for GTA G.d.?
Hi, I believe you have made a transcription error in the Fusi attribution of engine numbers to years of production. Should be '65 18501-18906, '66 18907-18980 for GTA G.d. Can you please edit your original post so others are not further confused.

I have listed 752533 with engine 19481 and 752648 with 19430 so as the others posts have indicated the Fusi bible at best will only lead one to the truth. So not to worry about your engine S/N.

This BB is a fantastic oracle of truth in and of itself.

I look forward to your unfolding story.

Ciao

Ken

Ken Geiger, Toronto
1965 GTA, RHD, Stradale
ex- 1965 GTA, RHD, Corsa, Trans/Am 66-72
1964 Sprint GT, B-Sedan in 70's
1970 Giulia Super (CDN Spec)
1976 1600 GTj (Italian Spec)
1966 Harley Sprint (Aermacchi) 250
2000 Catalina 320, Hull #765 Northern Dream
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i
post #48 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Do's and Don'ts for Right-hand GTA Restoration

When my '65 Healey was restored the shop missed several things like missing splash guard on front bumper, added insulation under hood (wasn't supposed to be their), put seal on body instead of trunk lid, put lip of grill under instead of over top of grill, etc. He did a great job, but I want to avoid these sort of non-original configurations when I have the GTA restoration started. Anyone have a list of dos and don'ts for a '65 right-hand GTA restoration?

You can see the restoration at Classic Car Restorations by Lou Schafer & Sons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Do: If you are restoring it as a street car, make it 100% original. If you decided to make it a vintage racer, go period correct on everything.

Don't: Take any shortcuts to save money. Do it right or don't do it at all. If you can't do a complete restoration, give it a full mechanical (suspension, running gear, etc.) and be proud of the time capsule it is.
post #50 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 03:55 AM

Do: Follow Anthony's advice; spend a LOT of time doing research - allow a few weekends going through all the old posts in here is a good start; be prepared to spend serious money on the right parts and spend many months looking for them; figure out how much can be preserved rather than do a 'Pebble Beach' restoration (do a Google search on the lightweight Jaguar E-Type found in California several years ago and brilliantly restored by Lynx Motors in the UK for an example of what I mean by this).

Don't: Send the car to any restoration shop without a clear idea of what you want to do and how you want them to do it - it's your car and you should have enough knowledge at your fingertips to know exactly what result you want. Above all else, you don't want to be paying for someone else's learning curve. Don't rush into anything, I can't emphasise this enough.

Consider taking a trip to Italy in September or November (the two biggest parts shows in the country, at Imola and Padova, respectively) to dig out as many correct parts as possible. They're both great fun and very interesting.

It really needs to be done right or not at all.

In bocca al lupo ...

Alex.
post #51 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 06:16 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I would stress the need for a shop that knows period Alfas, and GTAs in specific (Epifani, Conrad Stevenson, just to list two in Calif, though I realize you are elsewhere), so you don't end up with non-original, incorrect work. Not to mention the learning curve Alex mentions.
Andrew
post #52 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 07:43 AM
han

About going too Itali for GTA parts, i would not gif that as a advise to anyone ather then some one who has had a lot off parts in there hands and witsh are proven orginal, there are a lot off parts around but org parts are far and inbetween.

My first and most advise would be find some who knows GTA's or 105's and listen too that person when you trust him, there are a lot off peolple mining verry well but know a thing aboute them.

I hope you enjoy the car, there they were bild for.

best regards Han
post #53 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 04:26 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
My advise would be simply to do a mechanical tidy up and leave otherwise alone ... and maybe sell.

Maybe get the left hand guard fixed but otherwise you do not need to find parts, or have anybody make the car original ... it friggin is perfectly original with 99% of the original parts still intact. Thus don't take them off and it stays original.

Repairing that guard will not require much removal of anything. The collectibility of this car is it's originality. Ruin that and the car is lost.

Restoring this car would be a mistake IMO. Try giving it a massive clean and detail and then we will have the real condition of the car to study,
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #54 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 06:20 PM

when i got my gtaj it was very rough after sitting idle for many years. there was some corrosion that needed tending to in the front passenger headlight area. so, i spent some time asking around and wound up sending the car to roman tucker in michigan. this was in 1992 and there werent alot of options then - he had alot of experience with gta's in particular. when it arrived, roman called and said that the engine was not in good condition and needed a rebuild. so, based on limited funds, i had the paint stripped, body repaired and repainted. left the interior and the engine bay, trunk and undercarriage as-is. did a complete mechanical rebuild but did no "restoriation" work such as painting parts, plating, etc. for me it was the right approach. ive always admired "original" looking cars as compared to restored which just look and feel cold (to me). a couple of years later i sent the car to omaha to jack beck who rebuilt the suspension and brakes as well as installed knuckle risers.
my advice is leave it as a time capsule. go for a full mechanical rebuild so you can drive it as it was designed to be driven, with peace of mind that some tired part won't grenade and ruin something.
post #55 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 12:07 PM

Hi
I remember hearing about this car 20 years ago. Did your Dad have something to do with Mid Ohio race track. I seem to recall that the original info on this car came thru the race announcer at Mid Ohio.
Keith G.
post #56 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

GTA Undercarriage Pictures

Could someone post pictures of the GTA undercarriage?
post #57 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 12:36 PM

The RHD GTA 752647 Story Continues

In March of this year Roman Tucker advised me that 752647 was likely available for sale. By early May my offer was accepted and the GTA was picked up at the Hunter farm in south OHIO and trailered to Roman Auto Prep in Michigan.

The GTA was remarkably intact as built with only 18776 miles on it but suffering from decades of storage in good and not so good conditions.

It was decided for the time being to preserve this GTA doing only suspension moving parts and bushing replacements, oil seals and rear axle bearings. The engine had 2 pistons seized from corrosion so that was dealt with and the headers where patched up and a new exhaust system was added. The Weber 45 DCOE14's were serviced by Gordon Raymond and 4 new Pirelli Cinturatos 165 x 14s were installed on the 14" x 6" Campy's.

Years of mouse housing was also removed. It was this mouse nesting that undoublabley caused the though corrosion of the lower left front fender.

In July, for her 50th birthday (July 27 1965), we took the GTA 752647 to The Alfas at the Glen, 50 ANNI DELLA GTA event (see last 3pics)where it was well received in its faded, dimpled as found condition. And I had some fun driving it around the infield and paddock areas whenever an errand needed doing.

We still need to deal with the wiper motor and heater and other small items and the floor will require sectioning in new pieces here and there.

Ciao

Ken
Attached Images

Ken Geiger, Toronto
1965 GTA, RHD, Stradale
ex- 1965 GTA, RHD, Corsa, Trans/Am 66-72
1964 Sprint GT, B-Sedan in 70's
1970 Giulia Super (CDN Spec)
1976 1600 GTj (Italian Spec)
1966 Harley Sprint (Aermacchi) 250
2000 Catalina 320, Hull #765 Northern Dream
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i

Last edited by kengta; 08-20-2015 at 10:22 AM.
post #58 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 12:49 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
She's gone to a good home!
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #59 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 02:05 PM

Well done Ken. You need to bring him to the Convention in Montreal in 2017. Sorry I didn't make it to The Glen this year.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Ken Lee
Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON[/FONT]
73 GTV
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #60 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 10:22 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Zagato_Olaf
Hello Ken,

Well done!! Thank you for rescueing this time capsule.

Ciao, Olaf

Olaf Roeten a.k.a. Zagato_Olaf, Bussum, The Netherlands

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode