'65 GTA RHD Potential Restoration - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Just as I remember it. Does it still have the flat piece of metal in place of the missing steering wheel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:23 PM

Garage
fix it and drive it!

i cavalli mai abbastanza, ed il peso sempre troppo...
post #33 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 07:07 AM
Gold Subscriber

It appears that you only have the clover leaf sticker on the rear. I thought mine was the only one that came like that. Guido must have had a bad day.
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

My a**hole (x)step-brother stole the steering wheel, front AR badge and rear GTA badge 20 years ago.
post #35 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emr5503 View Post
It appears that you only have the clover leaf sticker on the rear. I thought mine was the only one that came like that. Guido must have had a bad day.
Ed
Can these be purchased?
post #36 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by italcarguy View Post
Just as I remember it. Does it still have the flat piece of metal in place of the missing steering wheel?
Sure does, stollen by my (x)step-brother in the 80's. Right now I am trying to decide on the best alternative for an original, high quality replacement. Looks like - accessories is a good and reasonably priced option.

Once I have that, I want to try to get it running. Is this a job for someone with limited knowledge of engines?
post #37 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Sniady
you should just sell it to me for a really low price. I'll make her look like a show queen.
You have a diamond in the rough, have fun with it.
It does look like it needs a lot of TLC. For how long its been sitting, you will have to inspect her well.

Sniady
'how the devil do they do that with a live rear axle?'
post #38 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:31 PM

First of all, congratulations on a beautiful car...an original unrestored GTA is a treasure. Please proceed with caution, you have a very valuable car with many incredible original pieces still intact. Please consider preservation rather than restoration, I know pictures can make a car look better than it is, but yours looks to be in mostly remarkable condition except for the rear of the front fender -- is that a hole?
Have you considered contacting Roman Tucker?

Roman Auto Prep

I would think he is the foremost expert on GTA's in the USA and would be an invaluable resource.
You asked about whether someone with limited knowledge of engines should attempt to get the motor running....
There was a great write up here somewhere recently by Jay Macro (that I can't find now) on reviving a long dormant engine. Hopefully someone else remembers it and can post the link. The first step was to put oil down the spark plug holes, penetrating oil first I think, then regular motor oil. Let is soak in for a day, then try to turn the engine over by hand. Don't force it. May be easiest to roll the car in 5th with the one plug per cylinder out. Next would be to get fresh gas in the carbs and tank. Pour a bit into the float bowls by removing the samll wing nuts and round disc on the top center of the carbs. 20+ year old gasoline is nasty stuff! If you can, pulling the carbs and cleaning them is probably a good idea, if that's a little beyond your abilities, at least unscrew the main and pilot jets and clean those. If it starts, let it get good and warm with just low to moderate revs for a while....
Good Luck!
Mike
post #39 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:55 PM

Great car, but if the motor has not been turned over in 20 years I would have a pro pull the head for inspection. Oil soaking the piston/rings will do little to lube a frozen valve or tappet, bending a valve will make for a bad day.
This car is too rare to take chances with, take your time and find the best people to bring her back to life.
All the best,
post #40 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
First of all, congratulations on a beautiful car...an original unrestored GTA is a treasure. Please proceed with caution, you have a very valuable car with many incredible original pieces still intact. Please consider preservation rather than restoration, I know pictures can make a car look better than it is, but yours looks to be in mostly remarkable condition except for the rear of the front fender -- is that a hole?
Have you considered contacting Roman Tucker?

Roman Auto Prep

I would think he is the foremost expert on GTA's in the USA and would be an invaluable resource.
You asked about whether someone with limited knowledge of engines should attempt to get the motor running....
There was a great write up here somewhere recently by Jay Macro (that I can't find now) on reviving a long dormant engine. Hopefully someone else remembers it and can post the link. The first step was to put oil down the spark plug holes, penetrating oil first I think, then regular motor oil. Let is soak in for a day, then try to turn the engine over by hand. Don't force it. May be easiest to roll the car in 5th with the one plug per cylinder out. Next would be to get fresh gas in the carbs and tank. Pour a bit into the float bowls by removing the samll wing nuts and round disc on the top center of the carbs. 20+ year old gasoline is nasty stuff! If you can, pulling the carbs and cleaning them is probably a good idea, if that's a little beyond your abilities, at least unscrew the main and pilot jets and clean those. If it starts, let it get good and warm with just low to moderate revs for a while....
Good Luck!
Mike
I'd like to second the idea of going to Roman- it's a bit of a haul to bring it up to SE Michigan, but knowing a handful of Romans cars, it's well worth it.

He'll do exactly what you want- from perfect restorations to perserving everything you see- just getting it running really well, and safely. He's got a few really cool preserved cars in his collection- one highlight is a TI Super that won the Malborough 6 hr in '65 or something like that?

He knows everything about cars like yours, and will easily be able to turn it into a safe driver. Or a perfect restoration, whichever you like.

And he may have the parts you nee that the (x)stepbrother took.

Sweet car- enjoy that car! It will compliment your Healey, IMHO.

Eric
post #41 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Does the FIA homogulation issue account for the fact that my engine number AR00502/A *19218* is not in the range of the published (Fusi/Tabucci) motor numbers ('65 18501-18906, '66 18907-18980) for GTA G.d.?

Last edited by 65healey; 07-25-2008 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Incorrect Quote
post #42 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65healey View Post
Does the FIA homogulation issue account for the fact that my engine number AR00502/A *19218* is not in the range of the published (Fusi/Tabucci) motor numbers ('65 18907-18980, '66 18501-18906) for GTA G.d.?
Fusi's bible is famous for the quality of the job done and notorious for some mistakes mostly related to the inaccuracy of the factory records.(not the knowledge of the autor)

When a car is produced even nowadays, the manufacturer can't imagine that people will have any interest about it 40 years from now.

BTW, if you leave the car in the 'as is' condition, I know at least 2 people here in Europe willing to pay 150.000$ for it.

But it is nothing compared to what UK or AUS are ready to invest in such rare item...

regards
Sébastien

4 doors: 3x Giulia Super: '66 Grigio Grafito, '67 Grigio Grafito, '67 Amaranto
2 doors: '70 GT 1300 Junior, bluette, '76 Spider 1600 junior , Rosso Farina
post #43 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 03:23 AM
Admin
Administrator

If you really want to get top dollar for the vehicle you might want to consider selling it during the upcoming Monterey Historics weekend. I'm sure you would be able to find a buyer at one of the auctions like the RM auction.

RM AUCTIONS

Just an idea.

Simon Mestas
post #44 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 04:09 AM
Gold Subscriber

My '65 GTA engine is 38 before yours, ie AR00502/A *19180* so I wouldn't be too concerned about what Fusi omits
post #45 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 05:35 AM
Gold Subscriber

Mine is 19229. '65 LHD Stradale.
Ed

Last edited by emr5503; 07-24-2008 at 05:40 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode