Oil temperature gauge: GTAm part? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ARGTAReg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Oil temperature gauge: GTAm part?

Came across an oil temperature gauge in the old part bins at an Alfa dealer friend.

It is made by Veglia Borletti and with a temperature range from 50 to 130 degrees Celsius.

I have never seen one of these referenced in the parts catalogues, nor have I ever seen a part number.

It seems to be an original Alfa part rather than aftermarket. It is consistent with 1750 GTV and GT junior gauges of the period.

The chrome bezel shown in the picture is made by Jaeger and machined to fit a 1750GTV wooden dash where the space is limited due to the chrome surround.

The only place where I have seen a picture of this gauge is in Tabucchi's GTA book in the color plates showing a GTAm interior (which incidentally also shows the special GTAm tach).

Anybody have any information, part number, etc. on this part including any vehicle(s) it was originally mounted? Special option? GTAm option?
Attached Images

Last edited by Alleggerita; 09-05-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 12:39 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Zagato_Olaf
Hello Alleggerita,

I checked the Competition Reference Handbook and the several Performance Options Catalogs (I to IV) and couldn't find this Veglia Borletti instrument. The homologation papers of the 1750/2000 GTAm also didn't give a clue. Looking through info on the internet, it seems this is regular 105 part with the oil pressure gauge also memtioned and shown.

Ciao, Olaf
Attached Images

Olaf Roeten a.k.a. Zagato_Olaf, Bussum, The Netherlands

Last edited by Zagato_Olaf; 11-17-2017 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Additional info and spelling
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 04:11 AM
Gold Subscriber

Hi Olaf, the one Alleggerita is showing is clearly an oil temperature gauge, not a oil pressure one..

JC de Koeijer

Giulia street rod, 1974 Spider Veloce, 2019 Giulia Super.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 03:07 PM

It was simply optional instrument produced by Veglia Borletti, and fixed on various Alfa (or other cars) on request. Here are the same Veglia for Ferrari 250 GTO and GTE, and similar one for Alfa 1300 GT and 1600 GT...
Attached Images

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Oil temperature was a common gauge on all 102/106/101/early 105 GT.

But oil temp disappeared from late scalino/1750 onward.

The picture I posted is obviously consistent with the other factory installed Veglia Borletti gauges on late scalino 1300 and 1750 GTV. It does not look like generic Veglia Borletti aftermarket.

Additional gauges were commonly installed on 1750GTAm. I have seen the listing/part # for the race tachometer. However, never seen an Alfa part# for any other additional gauges.

The question remains. Anybody seen one installed in a car or ever come across a part #.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 08:18 AM

One of the upper gauges in this early GTV, might be (I am not sure whether the left gauge is clock or oil pressure indicator, if so the right one is oil temperature) the image you are searching for. Lower ones are fuel and water gauges. Regrettably, the photo is bad angle.
Attached Images

rossogamba likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 03:02 AM

I made one of these....
I took apart an oil pressure housing, and a water temp gauge. I fitted the water temp gauge in the oil pressure housing and created this. So I had a same-looking oil temp gauge..
Had it sent off and mated to a sender unit. Still working perfect 10 years later.
Car not here so do not recall if it went to 120 or 130 degrees.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleggerita View Post
Oil temperature was a common gauge on all 102/106/101/early 105 GT.

But oil temp disappeared from late scalino/1750 onward.

The picture I posted is obviously consistent with the other factory installed Veglia Borletti gauges on late scalino 1300 and 1750 GTV. It does not look like generic Veglia Borletti aftermarket.

Additional gauges were commonly installed on 1750GTAm. I have seen the listing/part # for the race tachometer. However, never seen an Alfa part# for any other additional gauges.

The question remains. Anybody seen one installed in a car or ever come across a part #.
howdy alleggerita,

thats a cool gauge, where do i find one of these that matches the 1750 gauges? im collection parts for a stepnose track car build sometimes in the near future...

regards
db
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 08:42 AM
Gold Subscriber

GTAm part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleggerita View Post
Came across an oil temperature gauge in the old part bins at an Alfa dealer friend.

It is made by Veglia Borletti and with a temperature range from 50 to 130 degrees Celsius.

I have never seen one of these referenced in the parts catalogues, nor have I ever seen a part number.

It seems to be an original Alfa part rather than aftermarket. It is consistent with 1750 GTV and GT junior gauges of the period.

The chrome bezel shown in the picture is made by Jaeger and machined to fit a 1750GTV wooden dash where the space is limited due to the chrome surround.

The only place where I have seen a picture of this gauge is in Tabucchi's GTA book in the color plates showing a GTAm interior (which incidentally also shows the special GTAm tach).

Anybody have any information, part number, etc. on this part including any vehicle(s) it was originally mounted? Special option? GTAm option?
I just ran across this photo I made when I sneaked into the Museo's GTAm at Essen when everybody went for a pasta at lunch time.
They used an unbranded veglia water temp gauge in that one..

JC de Koeijer

Giulia street rod, 1974 Spider Veloce, 2019 Giulia Super.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 01:17 PM

the museo car appear to have used the zagato silver/black console along with the blacked out trim mixed in with the chrome bezel on the IP. this wasnt out of the ordinary since the racing department just used what was available.

im not an expert on gtams but i reckon there isnt a definitive gtam spec'ed car out side of the first couple made? this is especially true on the interior. seems like guages, seats steering, seats varied. there were multiple mechanical differences too, valve covers, injections of some of the very late autodelta built or modified gtams varied in detail. i recall some even used later 2000 body and parts. anyone remember the fiberglass bumper gtam painted to look like chrome?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Sig

I made this for my Giulia a while ago, a combination of an Alfa Instrument housing and a VDO Oil Temp instrument, not difficult to make and looks almost original.
Attached Images

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 01:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARGTAReg View Post
One of the upper gauges in this early GTV, might be (I am not sure whether the left gauge is clock or oil pressure indicator, if so the right one is oil temperature) the image you are searching for. Lower ones are fuel and water gauges. Regrettably, the photo is bad angle.
WOW this is may car!!!
Anyway, I built the oil thermometer myself; I took the indicators from a 1750 sedan and I put the oil label on the water thermometer and it works very well. I used the radio compartment.
Attached Images

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 04:54 PM

Looking to buy one of this gauges (Oil Temperature)
Let me know if is for sale?
Thanks,
George

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode