Spring rates and body roll ?? - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:37 PM

Pete.

So which cars at goodwood has re-engineered suspension that is allowed to run in their respective classes? I have Besic drop spindles because he got busted with them on his race car. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:26 PM

Davbert I don’t think you have Besic drop spindles. Mike is a great mechanic, but not a welder or fabricator. And Mike runs in VSCDA, SVRA and Midwest Council. I can confidently say that none of those groups have had a problem with drop spindles!

Erik
'66 GTV racecar, '71 Spider racecar, '74 GTV street car, '71 GTV project
post #63 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:32 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Dropped Spindles

Quote:
So which cars at goodwood has re-engineered suspension that is allowed to run in their respective classes? I have Besic drop spindles because he got busted with them on his race car. :-)
Davbert: Really? The ones I built for him a year or 2 ago? I`ll ask him...So you are driving a 119 car? If so per Mike they made quite an improvement in handling. What say you?
I`m interested in what sanctioning body busted him??

In general Vintage groups are driven by entry fees. If these cars were as raced in 1972 there wouldn`t be enough cars to rent a track.

Your right I blundered, Positive is correct, where the upper BJ is rearward of the lower BJ is where it should be. Thanks for correcting my error.

As to Goodwood, watching the speed events, there wasn`t a unmodified suspension in any of the fastest cars. And in fact Autodelta`s designs from 50 years ago were certainly not "Alfa factory ones at all were they.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:07 AM

i thought i replied to this awhile back? sorry, it didnt send i suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericwood View Post
Davbert I don’t think you have Besic drop spindles. Mike is a great mechanic, but not a welder or fabricator. And Mike runs in VSCDA, SVRA and Midwest Council. I can confidently say that none of those groups have had a problem with drop spindles!
i have besic spindles. like most places he must have sent these out to be welded. he said he wasnt allowed to run with them anymore with his group. this must have been 10-12 years ago?

SCCA GCR Production Category

2.2 Authorized Modifications

B 6. The modification or substitution of front spindles and/or rear axle shafts, and modifications or substitution of hubs, bearings, bearing carriers, universal joints, and drive shafts. These changes may not result in any changes in tread dimensions as measured from the center line of the car, or any changes in other suspension components, or the suspension geometry.

but seemingly everyone does it now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
Davbert: Really? The ones I built for him a year or 2 ago? I`ll ask him...So you are driving a 119 car? If so per Mike they made quite an improvement in handling. What say you?
I`m interested in what sanctioning body busted him??

In general Vintage groups are driven by entry fees. If these cars were as raced in 1972 there wouldn`t be enough cars to rent a track.

Your right I blundered, Positive is correct, where the upper BJ is rearward of the lower BJ is where it should be. Thanks for correcting my error.

As to Goodwood, watching the speed events, there wasn`t a unmodified suspension in any of the fastest cars. And in fact Autodelta`s designs from 50 years ago were certainly not "Alfa factory ones at all were they.
yes he told me he wasnt allowed to run with them anymore. no its a 105...
i have no doubt your drop spindles would be a marked improvement on a alfetta. this is especially true when the 105s were design to run near zero camber and minimal caster on pizza cutter skinny tires!

my DS might be off of this car i believe (post#2)
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gta...nt-flares.html
PS i notice alfaholics are making these GR2 flares now and even used my photo on there website :-)

agreed, yes i get it... better to turn a blind eye than not have the entries unless your are constantly in the winners circle with an illegal car. have the rules lately been relaxed to help? I hope so. It seems like there are less alfas running these days in the vintage circle. i have drop spindles on my pcar too, seems like lots of 911s vintage 911 now run with them also.

no worries on the blunder, just an oversight by you of course. you probably forgotten more things than you can remember after all these years. I know i have...

to the best of my knowledge, the cars at goodwood in the FIA product class do not allow alterations of the suspension geometry unless the parts are homologated. yes 50 years ago the factory autodelta parts were legal. items like sliding blocks and knuckles raiser that alter the geometry are in the homologated papers. panhard and watts were never homologated as i recall.

https://historicdb.fia.com/sites/def...76_group_2.pdf

all the best fellas

Last edited by davbert; 09-11-2019 at 08:18 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode