GTAm chassisnumbers - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 395 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 01:26 AM

Hello Olaf,

I make the number cahssis number 153 1042

Hello Martinue,

The photograph I attach is of the driver just before the race in which he lost his life. The number on the bonnet is still a 7 - if somewhat 'dirty and crumpled'. I have some other photographs - do you still say this is a GTA?

As I said - 'pick a number - any number'
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 395 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 01:35 AM

Hello Martinue,

We often visit the town of Gemona in Italy on the SWISS/AUSTRIAN border.

It would be fantastic to meet up with you and compare notes.
post #18 of 395 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 01:43 AM

The pic of the Greek GTAm shows Lakis Fotiadis at Tatoi, one event after his friend and team co Mavros lost his life at Rhodos in GTA no. 1. Fotiadis was very confused and did no race anymore. Seems they changed cars and numbers from race to race.

Last edited by martinue; 02-27-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 395 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 03:14 AM

Hello Martinue,

Do you have a chassis number for the car in which Mavro was driving when he was sadly killed? You say the car was a GTA? I have the name of the deceased as Mouschous - is this the same person/car/accident?

The photographs below, I think they are of a GTAm, are they the same car and/or do you know the chassis number/s?
Attached Images

post #20 of 395 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 03:45 AM

No I do not know about their chassisnumbers. This is a pic of Mavros following Fotiadis a few laps before his fatal accident. The pics and history are from a fellow Greek AlfaBB member, who posted this a few years ago on the board.
Name:  19711003 Rhodos No6 Fotiadis No1 Mavros 002.jpg
Views: 3935
Size:  38.9 KB
post #21 of 395 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 05:00 AM

The second no. 3 GTAm is that of Georges Moschous, well known as 1970s AlfettaGT rallydriver. Both GTAms had the same number plate, but the second car had small rear lights. I guess the first one was an ex Grafo car. Moschous was Motor Hellas works driver, after Mavros died and Fotiadis gave up racing in 1971. Fotiadis is told to have destroyed the GTA wreck. Moschous first appeared in 1972 with the second GTAm.
post #22 of 395 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 05:01 AM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinue View Post
It had this unusual type plate on it when for sale:
Unusual indeed! Type plates with IGM, which is the abbreviation for Ispettorato Generale Motorizzazione, were issued to vehicles that were street legal in Italy. It is essentually an Italian Government type approval number that consisted of only FOUR digits. The 'OM' stands for omologazione, or homologation. A vehicles' chassis number was NOT stamped here.
Since the 10551 was an export vehicle, an IGM number was not issued. Hence, there is no IGM number on a 10551 type plate.

Another thought: type plates of this period were not stamped, but printed. In addition, there was no 'period' between the 105 and 51.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)

Last edited by papajam; 02-27-2010 at 05:42 AM. Reason: add another thought
post #23 of 395 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 05:20 AM

Hello Martinue,

Is E43 the registration of the vehicle in Greece? In Greece you can have two cars with the same registration number?
post #24 of 395 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:19 AM

Hello fellow members
Zagato Olaf exceptional work on the chassis numbers regarding the GTAm.
I confirm chassis number AR 1531231 is here in Greece and lives in a private collection, I have seen and hear it, wonderful piece of history, actually it is the GTAm that appears on the cover page and the central pages of the book GTA by Maurizio Tabucchi (1st edition).
The sorry wreck in which Yiannis "Mauros" Meimaridis was killed is a GTA 1600 converted to wide body with GTAm mechanicals, his friend and owner of Motor Hellas Lakis Fotiadis put dynamite inside the wreck and totally destroyed the car.
On post 16, if I am correct, Lakis Fotiadis is kneeling distorted after the death of his friend "Mauros", beside a genuine GTAm, the same car appears in period pictures with different livery and it is still in Greece only the body survives in unknown condition, to me at least, sorry but I do not know the chassis number.
Takis.

1750 GT Veloce 1a serie
post #25 of 395 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:27 AM

Hello Takis,

Thank you for clearing that up!

Can you comment on the registration numbers E43 and E44?
post #26 of 395 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:44 AM

I have on my hands a greek magazine called 4wheels (4 Troxoi in greek) issue number 2, November 1970, they test inside the magazine an Alfa Romeo 1750 GT Veloce 2serie which carries the plate E 43.
These plates E43 E44 etc were given then to the dealers, back in the '70s, from the Ministry of Transport, so that they could test the cars or could take the cars from customs to their dealers, before they were actually registered, so one could see the same number on different cars or models from the same dealer.
Takis.

1750 GT Veloce 1a serie
post #27 of 395 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Zagato_Olaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takis View Post
I have on my hands a greek magazine called 4wheels (4 Troxoi in greek) issue number 2, November 1970, they test inside the magazine an Alfa Romeo 1750 GT Veloce 2serie which carries the plate E 43.
These plates E43 E44 etc were given then to the dealers, back in the '70s, from the Ministry of Transport, so that they could test the cars or could take the cars from customs to their dealers, before they were actually registered, so one could see the same number on different cars or models from the same dealer.
Takis.
[SIZE=""]Hello Takis,

Thank you for your additions! This thread is getting more and more fun!

Ciao, Olaf [/SIZE]

Olaf Roeten a.k.a. Zagato_Olaf, Bussum, The Netherlands

Last edited by Zagato_Olaf; 12-31-2016 at 02:17 AM.
post #28 of 395 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:55 AM

Just a thought, for the past 20 years I read and collect almost all the magazines that deal with classic cars, only once a magazine presented a real GTAm, Auto Italia magazine issue 39 November 1999, a white colored GTAm chassis number 1382607 a tipo 105.44 actually.
Why the GTAm does not appear on magazines, is it so rare, all of them are hidden, do they really exist, their owners do not want the cars to be shown, doesn't the classic car world or market know the Alfa Romeo 1750/2000 GTAm?
Can this thread or the fellow members world wide provide information or pictures of the GTAms as they are today?
Just some thoughts, hope they are not misunderstood, they do come from a passionate alfista, especially with one with the GTAm dream in his mind.
Thank you, Takis.

1750 GT Veloce 1a serie
post #29 of 395 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 02:20 PM

Hello Takis,

Thank you for clearing up the numberplate question.
post #30 of 395 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Zagato_Olaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takis View Post
Just a thought, for the past 20 years I read and collect almost all the magazines that deal with classic cars, only once a magazine presented a real GTAm, Auto Italia magazine issue 39 November 1999, a white colored GTAm chassis number 1382607 a tipo 105.44 actually.
Why the GTAm does not appear on magazines, is it so rare, all of them are hidden, do they really exist, their owners do not want the cars to be shown, doesn't the classic car world or market know the Alfa Romeo 1750/2000 GTAm?
Can this thread or the fellow members world wide provide information or pictures of the GTAms as they are today?
Just some thoughts, hope they are not misunderstood, they do come from a passionate alfista, especially with one with the GTAm dream in his mind.
Thank you, Takis.
[SIZE=""]Hello Takis,

The chassis you mentioned is (according to my information) the 1382607 ex Jolly Club GTAm, sold new to Alcides Diniz in Brasil in 1970, accoording to Fred della Noce who owns it now. The block is a monosleeve with Lucas guillotine-type injection.

I share your thoughts, it would be nice to see pictures of the cars as they are today. There was an article in 'Het Klaverblaadje' (the magazine of the Dutch Alfa Romeo Owners Club) a long time ago, on the ex-Hezemans car (according to my info 1530848) that has been with the same owner since 1973. I can't reach that copy right now because it is in storage. Let this be an opportunity to share the information we have on these great cars. It is my intention to do so.

Ciao, Olaf[/SIZE]

Olaf Roeten a.k.a. Zagato_Olaf, Bussum, The Netherlands

Last edited by Zagato_Olaf; 12-31-2016 at 02:18 AM.

Tags
chassisnumbers, gta, gtam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode