GTA Oil Can Pictures And Dimensions - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

GTA Oil Can Pictures And Dimensions

Ok guys, here it is. The measurements are as follows: 8 x 5 1/4 x 3 1/2. The stock air filter bracket on our car was shaved off a long time ago (who knows how long ago) so I made little brackets for the top mounts.

Here are the pictures you've all been waiting for.

Last edited by italcarguy; 05-17-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

----------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 10:42 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Hmmm ... don't like that open pipe above your exhaust Anthony . I know it should only be air that comes out but ...

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 11:35 AM

That open pipe, on my car, goes to the vent pipe on the back of the block. The interesting thing is that on Anthony's car the fuse block is located on the left side of the firewall, on mine it is on the right ?

David Rivkin
66 GTA 1600
81 GTV6 2.5
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 03:22 PM

Send a message via MSN to rpmhead
italcarguy,

where have you found the fresh air intake duct? I want something like that too.

'66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
'69 Giulia Super
'92 33 QV S 16V
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Admin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by david rivkin
The interesting thing is that on Anthony's car the fuse block is located on the left side of the firewall, on mine it is on the right ?
The Rimicci Brothers GTA is right hand drive which might account for some items being located on the wrong, I mean opposite side.

Simon Mestas
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smestas
The Rimicci Brothers GTA is right hand drive which might account for some items being located on the wrong, I mean opposite side.
Since the majority of non-oval race circuits run clockwise, the correct side for the driver in a non-monoposto race car is on the right hand side ...

OK I'm being pedantic, I'll shut up now

Alex.

Last edited by Alex; 08-14-2005 at 04:10 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Since the majority of non-oval race circuits run clockwise, the correct side for the driver in a non-monoposto race car is on the right hand side ...

OK I'm being pedantic, I'll shut up now

Alex.

Alex..I was raised right hand drive...but been driving left hand drive for 20 years...whenever I go back to the UK ..right hand drive feels better.
The steering wheel stays in the right hand where it belongs!!..and pulling the gearshift towards you just seems right....however alfa was designed lhd so i suppose the car is meant to be that way...anyway thats my contribution to this thorny issue!!...

Kribensis
montreal, canada.
gtv 71
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 08:55 AM

RHD, thanks for the info. My very first car was a '49 MGTC with RHD, back in '57. I found the transition easy, sometimes imagining myself in the UK by driving in the left lane of the Sprain Brook Parkway in Westchester Co. Since the northbound and southbound lanes were separated by a wide grassy and tree lined median, the effect was pretty good. As to a RHD GTA, I guess its Primus inter Parus.

David
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so there are three holes in this can. One goes to the oil cap. Second goes to the breather in the back of the block (which my car does not have). Third dumps out to the ground?

The fuse box originally was mounted on the right side just as LHD cars had it. Charlie moved it over the because that side of the firewall was bare. I like it there because it doesn't get in the way of all the RHD stuff on the right side.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 09:54 AM

RE: Air Intake & Cold Air Box.

Alfa Ricambi listed a reproduction air intake & cold airbox under part no.66280. The original color of the items is an industrial light grey. On the cold airbox itself, make sure that there is a vent at the rear for pressure equalization over each carb throat.

The original stuff is perhaps the crudest piece of fibreglass work I have ever seen, But, after all it was meant to be used in a 60's racing environment, not on the lawn at Pebble Beach.

David

PS. I always enjoy looking at the little friendly guy with the black bow tie in Anthony's box. Is that just a logo or is it himself ?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 09:06 AM

Anthony, thanks for the pictures and the dimensions. Can you tell me the diameter of the pipes and the thickness, width and lengths of the bracketry. Also the thickness of the double lip where the end are welded on and where is the weld that closes the box? is it at one of the corners. Do we know if the paint is as factory?

David R. would you say that this box is same as yours?

My fibre glass air box is crude and light grey as David suggests, but I am missing the door so if any one has one or leads for me to get one but maybe crude is easy for me to reproduce.

Anthony, if you go to an industrial hydraulic hose/fitting supplier (parker, aeroquip) you could likely get oil cooler hoses, (and for that matter fuel lines), made up with cad plated steel fittings that would be more in keeping with the originals than those red and blue ones I see in the pics. These guys can sheath and crimp hose onto your original fittings.

Regards
Ken Geiger

Ken Geiger, Toronto
1965 GTA, RHD, Stradale
ex- 1965 GTA, RHD, Corsa, Trans/Am 66-72
1964 Sprint GT, B-Sedan in 70's
1970 Giulia Super (CDN Spec)
1976 1600 GTj (Italian Spec)
1966 Harley Sprint (Aermacchi) 250
2000 Catalina 320, Hull #765 Northern Dream
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

David,
Thanks for the info on the ait box. I am still in the process of restoring ours. I'll post pictures of it mounted when I'm done with it.

Ken,
I'll get those specs for you this weekend when I go get the GTA from out shop. It is the original Alfa paint on the canister. When I bought the part a couple months ago, it still had the tag from Alfa Romeo on it.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 09:40 AM

My FIA Oil Catch can is exactly the same as Anthony's, black paint and all.

The three pipes measure out as 21.7mm OD, with a circumferential raised groove near the ends for a good seal.

I bought a Kodak Easyshare camera and am learning how to use it. When I learn how I will download some pics too.

David

66GTA
81GTV6 2.5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode