GTA rivet type - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

GTA rivet type

Hi there GTA owners....can anyone help me out with a photo of the correct type of rivet used on a GTA.I'm almost ready to put my ally lightweight together and want to make sure I get it right....but can't seem to find any info or a close enough closeup.
Cheers,
Fletch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

.....Ok.....let me rephrase the question,are the rivets the aluminium pop rivet style which can be applied with a rivet gun,or the solid type that have to be hammered?....and what size are they?
Any help would be as always much appreciated!
Thanks,
Fletch.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 10:43 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Alex Csank
Hi Fletch,

Are you putting together an originale GTA?

If so, that's great! And it must be the only one in Indonesia, I would think. I visited Jakarta several years ago and had a grand time!

For the best information about restoring a GTA using the correct rivets, you should contact one of the owners of an original GTA. There are at least two folks here who should have that answer. They are Italcarguy and Borrani.

Here are links to help you contact them:

Italcarguy (aka Anthony Rimicci) http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/send...ailmember&u=35

Borrani (aka Steve Schaeffer [sp?])
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/send...ilmember&u=521

Good luck! Please post some photos!

Rev high! Alex 'Sandor' Csank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
514-771-9513 President, Alfa Romeo Club of Canada (ARCC) www.alfaclub.ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 02:30 PM

OK, here's some rivet info. The info is taken from my 66 (built in 65) GTA 613900.

The rivets, where the heads can be seen are "pop" The rivets in the rain gutters are inverted, so only the shank shows.

On my car there are two series of rivets that are unpainted. One, on the cowl cover and two, on the small platform that holds the rear license plate lights.

The rivets on the cowl have been installed with a washer that is 9.7mm in diameter.
The pop rivet head measures 7.0mm in diameter.

On the rear license plate bracket the washer is 10.0mm in diameter, the pop rivet head is 7.0mm in diameter.

In the rain gutter, with the rivets upside down, the shank as exposed and covered with primer and paint, seems to be 5.4mm in diameter and protrudes 4.2mm above the floor of the rain gutter.

Another area with unpainted pop rivets is the radiator mounting panel. There the measurements agree with the pop rivets on the cowl panel.

The car should be at the Zippo at Watkins Glen this September. All are invited to bring their verniers and measure !

David
66 GTA
81 GTV6 2.5
NYAROC
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

David,thanks for the indepth info. it's a real help.
Alex,the car is a 1750 series 2,which I have stripped to the cor and is being entirely reclothed in a handmade aluminum body.It's cheap here to have it done and the quality of the work,although not as perfect as pressed panels,is still pretty impressive.It's not an AM replica,just a very lightweight 1750.I'll post some pics soon.
Thanks again,
Fletch.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
the car is a 1750 series 2,which I have stripped to the cor and is being entirely reclothed in a handmade aluminum body.It's cheap here to have it done and the quality of the work,although not as perfect as pressed panels,is still pretty impressive.It's not an AM replica,just a very lightweight 1750.
Fletch,
Is your roof and front and rear end going to be in Aluminum also?

1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
1968 Fiat 500 RHD
1979 Vespa
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 11:57 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
David,thanks for the indepth info. it's a real help.
Alex,the car is a 1750 series 2,which I have stripped to the cor and is being entirely reclothed in a handmade aluminum body.It's cheap here to have it done and the quality of the work,although not as perfect as pressed panels,is still pretty impressive.It's not an AM replica,just a very lightweight 1750.I'll post some pics soon.
Thanks again,
Fletch.
... WOW!

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 12:07 AM

Fletch,

Good luck with your re-body, post some pictures. Dont worry about the aluminium panels. On coach-built Alfas, panels, left to right, dont necessarily match. One of my friends in our Alfa Club chapter has a coach-built Giuletta Sprint. The body, originally, was lathered with filler, the left door is 1" longer than the right and the left rear tail lamp is canted in at the top to the right while the right rear lamp is nearly vertical.

All coach-built cars suffer this difference, no sweat!

David
Our club web site is: nyaroc.org
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 03:13 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Alex Csank
Fletch,

Having seen an actual GTA undergoing a complete restoration, I can tell you that Auto Delta and their panel beaters didn't have a lot of concern about perfection in their 'lightening' of the cars either! Many of the rivets didn't line up perfectly, te panels had imperfections and the car was basically built very much like a '60's race car would have been built..that is to say, they cared about saving weight and adding strength where it mattered. These were, after all...RACE CARS, not beauty queens.

PLEASE keep us posted!

Rev high! Alex 'Sandor' Csank
514-771-9513 President, Alfa Romeo Club of Canada (ARCC) www.alfaclub.ca
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 07:19 AM

Fletch:

The most visible pop rivets are those in the rain gutters as well as those along the rear body panel, between the two bolt holes for the rear bumper. Of course, if you leave the bumpers off, those rear pop rivets are visible and lend a nice racy touch.

The spacing of the pop rivets in the rain gutter is from 23.6 to 18.1mm, so pick a comfortable number and squeeze away.

At the rear body panel we have a nice anomaly. The pop rivets are the usual 7.0mm but they dont have a washer under the head. ( At least on my car ). The spacing is every 40.0mm +/- a few tenths. As the line of pop rivets cross the rear, they pass the small platform for the license plate lights which have washers, go figure !

Thus it would seem to be assemblers choice within certain guidelines.

These dimensions are most likely pretty close to all GTA's. According to Alfa expert Jim Weber, my car is one of the most original around so you can use these specs with some confidence.

David
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 09:49 PM

We used 1/8" "short shank" aluminum pop rivets... always with backing washers where possible, in all repairs to the TransAm GTA we campaigned in 70 & 71... they fit in the holes just fine. Mind you we drilled out the old rivets / a 1/8" bit...

[FONT=Arial Black]OldMaster[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Rick Clemente[/FONT]
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 11:08 AM

May be useful pics

Some photos of a GTA shipped over from Italy...it's for sale btw!
Attached Images

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 03:25 PM

Looks like it's been hit hard in the rear at some point. Can you please post more pics and a vin?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 04:14 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by italcarguy
Looks like it's been hit hard in the rear at some point. Can you please post more pics and a vin?
Anthony,

Aren't the rivets in the roof gutter rail upside down too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rivkin
The rivets, where the heads can be seen are "pop" The rivets in the rain gutters are inverted, so only the shank shows.
And also from my personal viewing of 2 GTA's that I have seen in person.

If so that car needs a major restoration before I'd venture out in it ... looks like the previous job was a botch.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk
Anthony,

Aren't the rivets in the roof gutter rail upside down too?

And also from my personal viewing of 2 GTA's that I have seen in person.

If so that car needs a major restoration before I'd venture out in it ... looks like the previous job was a botch.
Pete

Yeah, those rivets up there don't look right. Also, it looks like there are too many rivets on that rear pannel. You gotta remember these cars were and still are race cars so finding a virgin GTA is pretty rare. Nothing wrong with a car that's been slammed into a wall (actually adds to its history although not good), but fix it right. Please post more pics.

Here are a few detailed rivet shots I just took. The first and third are of the rain gutters and the middle picture is the rear pannel.

Last edited by italcarguy; 05-17-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode