Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Just got my Alfa and have no idea what these knobs do!

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  1972GTV2000 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've got a 1970 Alfa 1750 GTV and I picked it up yesterday. Car is great but I can't figure out what the two knobs under the ignition switch are for. I thought one of them might be choke but the choke knobs I'm used to you pull out and it stays out until you push them back in. Both these knobs if you pull out and let go they retract to their original spot. When I pull out the left one it sounds like spray is being sprayed in the engine bay.

On a side note, do the 1970 Alfa's not come with a hazard switch?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
One is the choke for the carburetors, the other to hold the throttle. They should not retract on there own if you pull and let go. Its all done manually out and back in.

No hazard switch.

Reactions: sbadaro
#3 ·
Oh mine retract which is what confused me. Is the left one the choke? Cuz when I pull it I hear this weird spraying sound in the engine bay so not sure if I should be doing it. I just tried the right one and it does act as a throttle but it retracts back in. I'm guessing its meant to be a sort of 1970's version of the cruise control?

#4 ·
The throttle one is not a crude cruise control but a way to set a fast idle to warm up the engine. These engines don't like choke, or choke for long, so if you live where it snows and need choke, start it and then use the fast idle knob to warm her up, but push the choke in as soon as you can ... is what I would do. I never use choke but it also does not get cold here

Pete

#8 ·
There’s no substitute for having a look... pop the hood and watch while someone operates the knobs.
I assume your car has Webers?
The LH knob will pull throttle linkages in the same way the accelerator does.
The RH knob will pull on a longer cable/wire which crosses the top of the carbs, bulling on two ‘enrichment device’ levers.
It does look like the knobs have been relocated from that bracket on the LHS of the column.
I can see in your first picture the ‘universal’ image for choke on the RH knob. The squirting you hear is the accelerator pump on the carbs squirting fuel as you manually pull that LH knob, which is doing the same thing as pressing on the accelerator pedal.
I can’t help you with why they don’t stay out when you pull them - my car has earlier ‘levers’ and are different. Maybe there’s a clamp system around the knobs which could be tightened a little? Maybe these work like MGB knobs and can be locked in place by turning them to the right whilst extended.

#9 ·
Thank you guys, it explains why the manuals and diagrams I've been looking at don't have these in the same spot. I'll have to experiment more myself and see how I can stop them from retracting back in by themselves.

#13 · (Edited)
This accelerater and choke arrangement is correct on some 1300 GTjs and 1300 Junior Spiders and maybe now on some carbed GTVs. They attach to the moulded steering shaft cover. I have had one such set up on a Junior GT and have seen it pictured in an owners manual. Twist lock is what I remember. The USA1750 FI had a single knob for acceleration in same location.

What is your serial number.

Ciao

Ken

#16 ·
Your steering wheel centre looks unusual. Can you get a better picture and describe it.

You asked about a 4 way flasher (hazard switch) . I do not see one on your dash. So no unless retro fitted under the dash as I have seen.

Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.