Exhaust conundrum - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Alforno
  • 1 Post By Alforno

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust conundrum

The ‘73 GT Junior 1300 is in re-assembly and light can be seen at the end of the tunnel! Engine and gearbox go in this week. I’ve been kicking the can down the road on the exhaust decision. The original, and I mean original exhaust with the Alfa mark and all, has been blasted and primed. It looks good....or do I go with a new stainless steel one? The restoration strategy has been to take the car back to how it was born.
Attached Images

PSk likes this.

1973 GT Jr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:47 AM

Car looks great! I installed an original, very used but very solid complete exhaust on my 1967 Duetto. It sounded great and lasted for years! My only suggestion would be to remove the primer as the high temperature will make it fall off! I used high temperature paint, silver POR-15. Looked perfect and lasted !!

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks as always for the feedback. How can one ignore an original (exhaust) logo on a 47 year old beauty. Onward we move...or do we...any other opinions (just to stir the pot)

1973 GT Jr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:52 PM

Garage
Keep the original. Put a GTA Stinger on the rear if you want a quick/cheap change to a sportier sound. I don't see your rear section in your photos

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:06 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alforno View Post
.....The restoration strategy has been to take the car back to how it was born....
If this is indeed your intent...there may be more than just the exhaust system that you will have to "Correct". I say "may be" because not having the parts manual for the 1973 Junior.....I cannot verify one observation. Namely...the scuttle drain hose. On all the GT's I have ever owned (ref my signature) and my current GTV...I have never had one with the corrugated hose....which if I am not mistaken was fitted to the earlier pre-1969 models. I know many swear that their cars came with that style....but if it isn't the Parts manual....it probably wasn't delivered as such from the factory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 1750 GTV 105.48 (sold), 1972 1300GTJunior (sold)
1969 1750 GTV 105.5 , 1972 Montreal
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:36 PM

Garage
Check out WA046 and WA046/2 on Classic Alfa. I have WA046/2. Price may be why we are seeing more WA046.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-club-canada-toronto-chapter/149533-alfa-parts-garage-sale.html
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice and also the scuttle hose bonus. Brad the exhaust has not been installed yet. Notwithstanding here’s the rear view.
Attached Images

1750GT likes this.

1973 GT Jr.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode