• 1 Post By alfaparticle
  • 2 Post By 180OUT
  • 2 Post By 930cabman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Spark plug for tuned north engine.

Hi,

Today I have Golden Lodge 2HL and have experienced at least 4 times that Isolator has loosened. Why I do not know, but want to go to NGK.

I see that Classic Alfa recommends NGK B7ES. I have 4 BP8ES, can they be used?

Which spark plugs do you recommend for a tuned, 160hp Nord engine with 45 Weber.

Thanks
Dysan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:59 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

If the center insulator has loosened, it's from detonation. That can be related to plug heat range, lean mixture or other ignition causes. NGK's often have a wider heat range tolerance. I use them on old Ferrari V-12's that like to oil and fuel foul plugs at driving around town engine speeds. They are not too hot at highway speeds, and resist oil and rick mix at low speeds. I dont know is 8's are hotter or cooler than 7's with NGK, I just look at the internet heat range charts when needed.
Dysan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:48 AM

2 liters motors (>=44mm valve dia.) need NGK without protruded negative pole, means you need B7ES instead of BPxES. With BPxES it can happen that you get a slight contact between inlet valve @ full lift and negative plug pole causing misfire.

A 160hp motor does not need #8 heat grade as it could tend for fouling when starting cold and in urban conditions with part throttle driving.

Bin all those 'Lodges' as they are not worth a penny today .

NGK heat range is hot to cool from 5 to 10.
Dysan and Gordon Raymond like this.

R.I.P. Alfa Romeo 1910 - 1986. 1987---> Badge engineering since then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hello again,

Thank you both for information and then it will be B7ES. I put the GL plugs on the shelf and should never enter my Alfa. Have only been problems with GL, but all the advice I got earlier is that these plugs are made for Alfa Nord engine.

Thanks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Which spark plugs do you recommend for a tuned, 160hp Nord engine with 45 Weber.

If you read JimK tuning book you'll find that he recommends Champion N2C plugs for his much modified Nord engines which have CD ignitions. If you don't have a CD ignition, I recommend Champion N4C. I used these on several much modified Nord engines for literally decades now. (These are, btw, standard reach plugs which are all you should use on an Alfa Nord engine.)

The N4C is a relatively cold plug that works especially well with my Marelli Plex inductive discharge ignition. With relatively wide gaps and a good ignition they'll last virtually forever. The only downside is that they're not exotic---don't cost much (I've had them described as "lawnmower plugs" which they are not), and so you're street-cred will suffer a little bit.

Give the Lodge plugs to somebody who needs them for concourse display.
Dysan and giulia_veloce like this.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series

Last edited by 180OUT; 09-01-2019 at 01:35 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks 1800UT

I have not considered Champion plugs and it is a good alternative. NGK plugs are sold everywhere, but Champion I have to look for to find a dealer. Will read me on this. Thanks for all the input and it helps me a lot to find the right one. Thanks

Dysan
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:49 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I use both BP7EIX and BP8EIX in my high output 2l Nord motor. I have 45 mm ( oversize) intake valves and a 12.3 mm lift intake cam and I index the plugs to ensure that the ground electrode is not directly in line with the intake valve. Indexing was not necessary when I had standard valves. BP7 heat range is the best choice if you do a lot of driving at low rpm and if your mixture is on the rich side. BP8's stay clean if you have a clean running engine and if you drive it hard.
Dysan likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
NGK plugs are sold everywhere, but Champion I have to look for to find a dealer. Will read me on this.
Well, in that case If I were you I'd use NGK plugs. They are actually very good plugs and if they are commonly available then use them. Just make sure you have the right heat-rage and be sure to use standard tip plugs instead of extended tip plugs. Here in the States, Champions are probably the most commonly available spark plug sold. Despite working very well in a Nord engine, they are also dead cheap. I usually pay about $2.00ea US for mine.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:43 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Champion works for me
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 06:22 PM
P-3

Firstly- what kind of driving are you doing?
Remember 2HL are recommended for high speed ( 100mph) drives.
Also what jet setting are the Webers and what compression ratio and ignition timing and advance curve do you run?
IMHO( 20+ Alfas and a Giuliettta G/F- production SCCA racer) I went through dozens of spark plug tests. From the most exotic GL to Bosch NGK and Champion I found the best plug for racing to be the humble N3 Champion!!! A relatively cold plug and “normal” length center tip. The extended tip has the letter Y . Higher number = higher heat range. The normal use standard heat range plug was N6Y if memory serves. You might experiment with cheaper Champions and then translate the optimum version into the more exotic plug to check the difference. Due to the relative ease of plug changes I didn’t mind just using Champions-
My wallet didn’t mind either!

"Whenever I see an Alfa Romeo, I take off my hat". Henry Ford.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode