Alfa Romeo Forums banner

What’s this and how is it working?

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Alfamale 62 
#1 ·
I’m de wrapping the engine bay looms to refresh them and when I unwrapped the loom to this relay I find some cables cut back and half the spade terminals not used, I’m not even sure what it does as there are wire colours not on the wiring diagrams it might be rear screen defrost but none of the cables look big enough to handle the load
It’s not for the horn or the wipers
Everything worked before so can’t understand the cut wires and unused terminals

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
The three connected wires are Red, white with Green stripe and white with blue stripe

The three that go nowhere are Red , black and white with black stripe, there are no matching cut wires in the loom, all cables seem to be age and colour appropriate

Car is a 74 GT Junior

#6 ·
Opened up the black box, it seems the three connected wires go to the two coils red is live permanent the other two must go to a switch to energise the coils, the outputs don’t go anywhere so it’s basically doing nothing
Tried every switch on the dash and the coils don’t budge
Does the heater fan have a relay for the two fan speeds?
Would a 74 Gt Junior have a foot pump for screen wash or should it be electric?

Attachments

#8 ·
No, got one of them
With the relay removed the lights work INC high beam, horn works, wipers work, only things I can’t test are heater fan and heated rear screen, both items did work so I’m ruling them out I’m stumped
Soon the seats and carpet are coming out and I will have a better chance to look under the dash where these wires go

#12 ·
There are European codes usually tied to a DIN standard for what color wires are used for what. There is also a standard for numbering terminals. There is a British standard too but not to be interspersed with the European standards. If you learn what the Green and White wire standard (as I recall from your photos) is you will then know what it is for. it will take some googling but you should be able to identify what the relay is for without a wire diagram. Of course, a wire diagram would be the best of all solutions..

#13 ·
Wire diagram does not match what I have in number of connections or colours, this car came from Cyprus originally so it could be something specific to that country, I know it had something glued to the headlights either wiper or wash jet as the marks were still on the lights when I bought it

#14 · (Edited)
I've got a "74 2000 GTV manual and it only shows three relays .. one for the heated rear window (probably under the dash) and two in the engine bay--one is horns and one is Fog lights. There is none for the headlights. The two fog lights have a Blue and white striped wire to each married on the dedicated relay to Terminal 87.. the Term 86 is violet going to a bus then the switch.. then Term 30/51 is a big red power line ..then Term 85 is green going to #8 fuse (which is bridged to #7) which goes to the stalk switch. This will give you something to check out.

PS There are NO green and white striped wires ANYWHERE

#15 ·
Took the Rev counter out to gain access, loom goes to a 6 pin connector block with 5 wires, the block is connected to nothing and the loom splits 2 wires to fuse block and the rest out to the relay, I have completely removed this loom and everything works so I’m now convinced it was part of the foot operated washer/wiper system that’s never been on the car in the 26 years I have owned it, will bag and tag it all but it’s not going back on the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.